March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hugh Lomas, Der Ami, Marc Ret, SKB, 2 invisible), 257 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#519126 07/24/18 01:11 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

On several occasions many years ago I recall seeing Model 54's that had pre-war M70 bolt handles. Perhaps the entire bolt had been switched. I'm curious to know what explains this detail. Thanks for any information.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill, years ago I was told this was the case but I never verified it especially with the cost of a model 70 bolt being so high. I do know as a fact that you can use model 70 bottom metal with just the addition of a tapped front hole onto the receiver as the model 54 front hole was in a different location. If memory serves me one has to work pretty hard to come up with a nice bolt stop however. Good luck...

Edward Lundberg, Colorado Springs

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a 54 once that had a 70 bolt, safety, and bolt release. I seem to recall having read an ad that Winchester offered this as a service for a few years after the 70 came out?

Sidelock
Sidelock

May be a little OT but here goes. Took my 54 action to Abercrombie and Fitch and went upstairs to Griffen And Howe. Spoke with George Beitzinger and we agreed a model 70 bolt handle would be perfect. Two weeks later i had my 54 action back with an expertly done model 70 style bolt handle. Redfield was still making their Junion one piece bases for the '54 Still have that action after over 30 years.Frank

Sidelock
Sidelock

May be a little OT but here goes. Took my 54 action to Abercrombie and Fitch and went upstairs to Griffen And Howe. Spoke with George Beitzinger and we agreed a model 70 bolt handle would be perfect. Two weeks later i had my 54 action back with an expertly done model 70 style bolt handle. Redfield was still making their Junion one piece bases for the '54 Still have that action after over 30 years.Frank

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Frank46

Time marches on. I remember the Griffin and Howe gun room at Abercombie and Fitch well. It closed, along with rest of Abercombie and Fitch, in 1977, over 40 years ago.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fresh out of the navy in '67 and probably picked up the barreled action in Brooklyn NY a few years later. Cost me the magnificent sum of $40 bucks back then. Course I was making about $3 bucks and hour at the time. gas was about 25-30 cents a gallon. Ran into George a few years later at his shop on Atlantic ave in Queens NY. Through him and his gunsmithing talents helped me rescue a bubba'd 1903A3 Springfield. Still have that old Springfield. Some of you know that George retired a few years back. Saw some of the pics of him in his shop as they moved his stuff out. Think he was deeply sad by the expression on his face. Hoping he's still around and enjoying his well deserved retirement. Frank

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.