April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (mark, SKB, ithaca1, playing hooky, 2 invisible), 851 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,484
Posts545,273
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Being able to trap the ejected shells in your hand is wholely dependent on the way the gun is held when opening. It is no issue for myself, but I know some who have a hard time with it.

I have seen several of the trap shootets who catch the ejected shells in mid air with ease, and so fast that it boggles the mind to watch it. Has anyone seen someone catch the shells ejected from a SxS? I feel like the geometry of a O/U makes it easier since the shells are shot out in a more upright direction vs. the direction of over the shoulder as a SxS would.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Catching them in mid-air is showing off. I've seen young hot-shots who do it with a flair, and it's always self-aggrandizement. I've shot with the best..... Digweed, McGuire, Matarese, Keinbaum, DeMichael, Miles, Kruger, Vine, Mein (father and son).............none of them are show-offs. Some of them are actually dull and boring to watch. It's just that they rarely miss.

Most S x S shooters are not show-offs, and do not catch shells in mid-air. I trap them from my S x Ss, just like my O/Us, but never do the mid-air stuff. It's no faster than trapping them, anyway.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 07/30/18 09:42 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I use to reload all my shells and got in a habit of trapping hulls to keep them off the ground. It's a hard habit to break even though I haven't reloaded many shells, with the exception of 3/4oz 12ga , in years.

Trapping hulls has become so ingrained that I even do it on a dove field and when quail hunting. Even in Argentina I caught most of my hulls and would throw them into the trash bag. Bird boys seem to appreciate this.

it definitely cost me some birds, but slows me down and I feel slowing down helps my shooting.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Willieb
it definitely cost me some birds, but slows me down and I feel slowing down helps my shooting.

And .............slowing down saves money on extra shells in Argentina, which can be a good thing at the "end of the day".

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nothing to do with catching empties from an ejector gun But;
I once saw Bill Jordan on the old TV show "You Asked For It".
He stood upright, placed his right elbow against his rib cage with his forearm stretched forward horizontal, palm down. He placed a ping pong ball between two of his fingers. He was wearing a S&W .38 revolver in a regulation police rig for the time, Sam Browne as I recall. Anyway it carried the gun at waist level, not down low on the thigh. ..

He stated he would drop his hand from under the PP ball without flipping it up, draw & fire all 6 rounds before the ball hit the floor. He whipped that .38 out of the leather like lightning, BUT, then thumb cocked the hammer, took aim & fired. Followed with the other 5 in like manner. I'm sitting there thinking just who is he fooling, that ball has long since hit the floor. After firing round #6, he pivoted his right hip forward, reached across with his left hand, picked the ball out of the holster & dropped it to the Floor.
That took a lot of practice. As he was drawing the revolver he had to pivot his hip forward enough for the ball to hit in the holster. It all happened so fast you just couldn't see it, at least not on TV.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanx Stan for this posting. It reminds me of a sporting clay joke, one of the few things that will get a millionaire to walk into weeds and bend over is a double A hull.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have read "No second Place Winner" by Jordan, good reading. I thought I had a copy of it but can't locate it. A former co-worker who was a big fan of Jordan may have loaned me his. I do have a copy of "Bullseyes Don't Shoot Back" which is essentially a re-write of Rex Applegate's Kill or be Killed. This book is on point shooting & is an extremely good read with a lot of good info which makes a lot of sense.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Nitro Express
Thanx Stan for this posting. It reminds me of a sporting clay joke, one of the few things that will get a millionaire to walk into weeds and bend over is a double A hull.

grin

You're welcome, NE

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Many years ago I watched two Skeet shooters put on a show. The first shooter would shoot a pair of shells, open his gun and let them fly over his shoulder and the second shooter would catch them in the air and put them into his shell bag. They did it for four rounds and I never saw them fail once. If I’d been one that squad it would have driven me nuts. Other annoying thing is they both ran hundreds. On the good side neither lasted long in the shooting. I backed into that one. Even a blind hog finds a acorn once in a while.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.