May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (R. Glenz, dblgnfix, Marks_21, craigd, Wild Skies), 1,026 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,504
Posts545,545
Members14,416
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rocketman I hope you're still able to type when she blows.

Sidelock
Sidelock

jOe, some add meat and some spices to the threads. You are definitely on the
spice shelf! :-)

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

hJ - I'm a lot more worried about a lot of other stuff. Wiping out in a damascus barrel failure is way down my list of probabilities.

Sliver Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gents,

Thank you for your support.
I do intend to study this problem. First I need to document myself about the type of study. I would like to get some meaning out of it. If there is no meaning, it's obviously useless.
I am out for an exam now, will get back home in a few days and start reading.
I will post back once I have some idea of what I want...can do...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Me too....I shoot mine weekly.

Boxlock
Boxlock

New to the forum, but am familiar with Damascus technique, and the proud owner of a George Barlow Coach Gun from the old days. After I bought it at auction, I did a bunch of research in Damascus metallurgy, and inspected the barrels - in pretty good shape for an old black powder gun, actually. I did buy and test with black powder 12 Gauge shells, and it passed the test. But I would never put a smokeless round in it under any circumstance. The pressure profile is different enough that the stress profile would be well outside what the gun was designed for, but the very nature of Damascus barrel construction means that each one is absolutely unique. Successfully shooting 1,000 of exactly the same gun make and model successfully is absolutely not statistically relevant with a one-off item like a Damascus barrel. Let me put it this way: if you had a jar of jelly beans on the coffee table and you knew one of the beans was poisoned, would you eat any? The nature of Damascus welding is such that a flaw within the steel, opened to the barrel by a corrosion pit, is a distinct possibility because of the unpredictability of galvanic corrosion rates in these hybrid metal barrels. The only possible way to know for sure the condition of a tube manufactured in this manner is by Magnaflux and x-ray - Magnaflux for surface flaws and x-ray for subsurface.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Welcome to the forum, George. You certainly aren't too bashful to offer opinions.

However, there are many holes in your argument that I am not willing to put forth the effort to address. But I will offer one quick question............why do you think damascus barrels are any more "unique" than fluid steel barrels? Individual fluid steel barrels rupture at times, too. If they weren't "unique" too, all would either blow up or none would.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: George Steele
But I would never put a smokeless round in it under any circumstance. The pressure profile is different enough that the stress profile would be well outside what the gun was designed for,

That statement is flat ass incorrect.

Your decision to not use smokeless no matter the loading in your gun is fine by me.

At your level of knowledge it's the best thing for YOU.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Welcome to the forum, George. You certainly aren't too bashful to offer opinions.

I think "George" might be one of our long time forum instigators coming up with a new profile name, and who just recently happened to start a thread asking about black powder and velocity. What a coincidence.

“I left long before daylight, alone but not lonely.”~Gordon Macquarrie
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's a very astute observation concerning a very dumb question about black powder loads from one of our most prolific anti-gun trolls. Leave it to Ed to dredge up a 10 year old thread and assume the name of an old studio wrestler:

Originally Posted By: Flintfan
Originally Posted By: Stan

I think "George" might be one of our long time forum instigators coming up with a new profile name, and who just recently happened to start a thread asking about black powder and velocity. What a coincidence.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.