March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Researcher, Jimmy W, SKB, arrieta2), 786 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 56 1 2 3 4 5 55 56
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: wingshooter16

Best picture of a gun you've ever taken Mike! Glad you had a good time.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like Mike had an Ideal time. Far better than the snakes did...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Beautiful country, and great pics! None of that scenery looks familiar, nothing except that rattler, unfortunately. Them bad boys don't respect "your camp", do they?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I will no longer be dumping cleaned dove carcasses in the latrine pit. This feller had ingested and passed one from one placed in the pit opening day. Day two I was getting ready to lean down and put more in. I saw him just before leaning over, and just before he sounded. First time I had one sound off. Not something I wanna get used to. Was carrying a new to me .40 cal, and had not yet picked up rat shot for it. Hornady self defense rounds are expensive, but seemed appropriate (especially when that's what's in the gun).

Stan, google Knox City Tx. We are just West of there on the Brazos River. Storms came through last night and this morning was just lovely.

As to the strangeness of my hunt: the scrub in the field is really thick, as our farmer decided to stop farming, and the field lie fallow this year. One thing it did for me was to allow me to get to within 15 yards of two that landed in the field- closest I've ever been. Was beginning to wonder if I had not marked them well. They got up together, and I killed the first one; the second one disappeared against the foliage behind him, but when he cleared the tree line I dumped him too. About an hour later, three seemed to come out of nowhere, and landed three yards from one of the Mojos. Ha! Rinse and repeat. Walked carefully up to where they landed- nothing. Circled around and around in bigger arcs until I was convinced a black hole had swallowed them. Just then I saw a dove fly out from the edge of the scrub next to the two track. Never seen dove run like a pheasant- at least not that far. Guess I don't get out enough.

As to birds that don't know they're dead (another similarity to longtails), I had a quartering incomer heading directly for me. A bird heading directly to me or directly away is my one shot I often miss. I was a little low with the right barrel, and he was stunned, starting to flair. I absolutely crushed him with the left barrel, at only about 15 yards. Dropped like a stone, hitting top dead center of a 6" diameter fence post with an audible thud, bouncing off to land on the ground next to the fence. I walked the forty five feet from my dove stool to find- nothing. Not even a feather. I literally walked back to the stool after several minutes of searching, shaking my head with my mouth open in disbelief. This hunt was the "Day of the disappearing Dove."

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Found five points while picking up birds? Dang! That must be the best place for them in Jawja.

SRH

Well I was looking for points harder than I was looking for dead birds...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Originally Posted By: Stan
Found five points while picking up birds? Dang! That must be the best place for them in Jawja.

SRH

Well I was looking for points harder than I was looking for dead birds...Geo

laugh

Originally Posted By: wingshooter16
Dropped like a stone, hitting top dead center of a 6" diameter fence post with an audible thud, bouncing off to land on the ground next to the fence. I walked the forty five feet from my dove stool to find- nothing. Not even a feather. I literally walked back to the stool after several minutes of searching, shaking my head with my mouth open in disbelief. This hunt was the "Day of the disappearing Dove."

As Roger Pinckney says, "Sometime a man jes' got to shake he haid."

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 09/03/18 09:11 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here are a couple pictures from 3 days of teal hunting and teaching an old dog new tricks. He had never retrieved a duck or done a water retrieve. he thought decoys were his for the taking, but we figured it out eventually.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

A couple more pics from the opening weekend...Geo

Lots of front porch sitting with old friends. The camp house is supposed to be the oldest home in Dodge County. Highly renovated:

Transportation was kind of elaborate. I never could figure out a way to get in that contraption, but the younger guys had a ball at night hog hunting:

Sidelock
Sidelock

We had a good dove opener. Had a new Parker and a new dog. Highlight was the dog getting the lay of the land on things. He wasn't sure what was going on, but knew it was something fun.

I have no idea how to post pics anymore. Someone can tell me or I can email to them to post.

Page 3 of 56 1 2 3 4 5 55 56

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.