March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (SKB, Jeremy Pearce, Dave K, Borderbill, battle), 777 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 20 of 97 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 96 97
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for fixing my pics and thanks for all the great info you've collected. I shoot RST 12ga thru this gun. It is one of my favorite guns with awesome tall hammers that are easily cocked with one hand on a flush. It has an unfortunate poorly executed (cosmetically) repair to the wrist of the stock that I need to address someday but it remains as solid as the day I bought it many years ago.

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Reb, I'm surprised you're still around....why you've been shooting modern powders out of a black-powder gun with Damascus barrels. If you read the Damascus barrel line, those barrels should be exploding like a grenade multiple times and we should all be dead... or something. smile. I shoot the same shells in my Damascus barreled gun....(though it's 25 years more modern).

Last edited by Argo44; 10/02/18 04:47 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thats a great looking gun. Wonderful hammers!

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This was the list of extant guns with serial numbers in a dated formate. Unfortunately this post has become corrupted. As this is a working document. I'll try to repost it.

Last edited by Argo44; 12/08/18 07:15 PM.
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

===========================================================================================
1857 - JC Reilly's Swan Song

In the JC "7000" series, the last two extant guns were 8025 and 8052 (both probably 1857 shortly before he retired; both had Ceasar's dictum, "Veni, Vidi, Vici"...which may be JC's swan song. Here is that inscription on Terry Buffum's 8025.

Last edited by Argo44; 12/08/18 03:01 PM.

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

===========================================================================================
1912-1918 - Reilly at Marylebone

I've pretty well finished up this story - the intention being to date the serial numbers of Reilly guns. The twisting and turnings of the name of the company from JC's retirement in Sep 1857, the opening of 315 Oxford Street, "Reilly's Armoury House," in January 1859, to the advent of the name "E.M. Reilly & Co.", in Sep 1859, and the subsequent switch from "Gun Maker" to "Gun Manufacturer" in Summer 1860 has been addressed.

There was one thing bothering me though and it has nothing to do with Reilly SN's; that is the fate of the name after the bankruptcy of the company in June 1912 (detailed above) and the opening of 13 High Street, Marylebone.

. . . . . . . 13 High Street, Marylebone today (a small shop)

Per the following records, that shop did exist as "E.M. Reilly & Co., gunmakers" for several years.

. . . . . . .1912 London Telephone Directory - Reilly still at 295 Oxford Street - still Gun & Rifle Manufacturers

. . . . . . .1915 London Postal Directory - E.M Reilly, "gunmaker" noted at 13 High Street

The company disappeared from the London telephone directories in 1919 per below.

..........1918 Telephone Directory with EM Reilly . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1919 Tel Directory without EM Reilly

..........1921 London Postal Directory - likewise had no entry for Reilly at 13 High Street, Marylebone.

John Cambell in his article on Reilly in DGJ , Summer 2015 wrote that he had seen E.M. Reilly & Co. mentioned in the 1921 "Hughes London Business Directory." I haven't been able to access Hughes yet.....it looks to me as if the company disappeared in 1918 (before the publication of the 1919 phone directory) but we'll assume that the entry exists; (Hughes was a long lead time publication so if John is right, the shop would have still been at 13 High Street in 1920, but without a telephone and Hughes would have been typeset before the 1921 Postal Directory. Strange - I'll try to get access to that issue of Hughes to confirm; I've got to mention though that that article - like every article about Reilly found so far - had a number of errors of fact in it..not a criticism of John but rather a simple statement of fact on where general understanding of Reilly history was at the time):

The above makes the post bankruptcy history of Reilly easier to understand...
-- Dec 1911 EM Reilly & Co. changed to a limited liability company with the bankruptcy lawyer GW Roberts as a "partner," presumably to protect some assets from the pending bankruptcy;
-- Spring 1912 they advertised 295 Oxford St. as a "freehold" for sale in London newspapers;
-- 6-8 June, bankruptcy declared;
-- 1912 they moved to 13 High Street Marylebone;
-- in 1918 (or 1921) they closed it;
-- August 1922 Riggs bought the name and published it in his catalog. Therefore, following are the last three paragraphs of the "New Short History" as edited:

In 1903 the Company vacated 277 Oxford Street where they had been quartered for 44 years while the building was being renovated and moved 300 yards down the street to 295 Oxford Street. The company apparently was run by Herbert H. (Bert) Reilly and Charles A. Reilly, EM Reillys sons. The first extant gun with 295 Oxford Street on the rib is 35422. The company remained at 295 until bankruptcy was declared on 06 June 1912. The last extant gun with 295 on the rib is 36678.

Bert Reilly opened a small gun shop, E.M Reilly & Co., at 13 High Street, Marylebone in 1912 after the bankruptcy. No advertisements can be found for the shop though per London postal address, telephone and business directories they identified themselves as "gunmakers." No guns with this address on the rib have been found. The date of its closure is not noted although it is listed in London telephone directories up to 1919 and in business directories to 1921.

In August 1922 The Reilly name was bought by a sporting goods dealer named Charles Riggs (most Reilly history summaries put the date of purchase as 1917; this is belied by the dates of newspaper advertising). Riggs apparently decided he could use the name to promote his premium line of guns (possibly built by BSA). Whether a Reilly had any say in the design of these Riggs-Reilly guns is unknown.

I've mentioned in that edited short history above that I don't know if a Reilly was involved in the design of any of Rigg's Reilly-named guns. Surely a Reilly didn't make them and I don't count them as Reilly's. Yet one of the Reilly's must have gotten something from each gun sold with that name on it as royalties (who?) unless Riggs bought the name outright (from whom, when, for how much?), and there is a slight tinge of elegance in a pedestrian Riggs that might indicate some involvement by a Reilly initially in designing them. Riggs Reillys are regarded in the market now as journeyman guns. Lots of questions - but nothing at all to do with Reilly Serial Numbers and of no interest to this line.

SN 140415 - E.M. Reilly, London (by Charles Riggs)

I'll make two more Historical posts....a repost of the fully edited New History of Reilly, gunmaker...I think it's about as good as it's going to get and I have no interest in pursuing it further; .and of the current serial number chart. With that I'm done. The only thing that'll get me back on topic now are gun serial numbers that change something or new case labels. (I may post a couple of photos of EM from ancestry.com posted by Sally). I really think the serial number-date chart is darned good as it is now.

Of course this line will remain a great place for shooters to post pics of their Reilly's.

Last edited by Argo44; 11/14/18 10:44 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you for this magnificent effort.

S. Nash

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is first class research. I do hope you get the chance to publish this in a book or booklet.

Regards

AlanD
Sydney

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

If Sally doesn't mind, here are two photos of E.M. Reilly she posted onto Ancestry.com. I assume they're in the public domain now but if there are copyright issues, I'll delete. This is just for history's sake. (Doubt that's an air-cane gun he's carrying..unless it's a .22).

Just for fun, what are the chances that the older bewhiskered top-hatted gentleman in the bottom of the picture of Oxford street in 1885 strolling near to 277, is Mr. EM Reilly? Would that be Mary next to him, his wife?

Last edited by Argo44; 09/21/18 06:03 PM.

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

"A New Short History of Reilly" moved to P. 33,

Last edited by Argo44; 08/06/19 11:39 AM.

Page 20 of 97 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 96 97

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.