May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (jake van dyke, Hal M Hare, MattH, ithaca1, 1 invisible), 870 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,621
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 19 of 19 1 2 17 18 19
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: rocky mtn bill
CB, I appreciate your patience and willingness to take a broader view. However, I have to question your devotion to the business ethos. Of course we all benefit from those who found and run enterprises, but as Obama pointed out, they didn't make that all by themselves. Everybody's work contributes to what each of us is capable of making.

Bill, like some others, I'll just make the point that on the subject of business Obama knew and knows less than nothing. Never created anything, never got paid for something that the funds didn't come, one way or another, from the government.

He is the LAST guy I would go to to learn a little about how industry works.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

CB, jOe's behavior stems from his views. He is his philosophy. With jOe, if it's not one damned thing after another, it's the same damned thing over and over.

Bill Ferguson
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Me, I'm just happy to be here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zfBwMLext8

Love you guys.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

SKB, amen.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was born in the San Joaquin Valley just over 62 years ago. My parents bought a house in San Jose for 15,000 in 1957, taking me and my two older siblings there from the Central Valley. There were whispers many decades later that living with my paternal grandfather was no longer possible, my mother insistent on getting my sister away from "that wicked old man." They would have two more boys there, and the four boys shared one bedroom, as the only girl had to have her own room. 5 kids shared one bathroom. The house payment was 144/month. Dad was an alcoholic and philanderer, working as a self-taught electrical engineer with Pacific Telephone, having started by climbing poles. It was a real struggle for him to afford the sturdy lineman boots he needed, that seemed to wear out all too quickly. We got new clothes once a year, at the start of school. We got a few at Christmas from my maternal grandmother, though of course we boys viewed it as a great letdown to get clothes for Christmas. I did get a shiny red bike that I asked for one year, and had to stand on the brick planter to get on. Dad always found a way for a regular family vacation when we were young, usually involving water skiing at one of the many reservoirs with camping facilities.

With all the bad, there was so much good. I loved where I grew up- the climate, topography, plentiful work, and the prettiest girls in the world. With three brothers we always had an instant sports team of some flavor. I walked to elementary school through the orchards that became Silicon Valley. I went to a great church that was located within walking distance of where Netflix is now located.

I hadn't been home in a few years (it will always be home, and I will always be a native Californian. I still correct people who call me a Texan, though I love this state and its independent streak), but last summer I flew back on my birthday to spend time with my younger brother. We drove around to all the old haunts, and stepping outside on to the hotel balcony, catching a whiff of Gilroy garlic in the air brought on a torrent of memories that caught me off guard, and shook me to my soul. It was the smell of, home. Many of you know what smells can mean and do to memory.

It was so good to be home, and the land/air/ sea and golden light are the same. I was shocked at the shanty towns and tents- encampments on the side of the highway and the sidewalks of businesses that sported tall chain link fences topped with razor wire.

We went to the small reservoir in the foothills of the Santa Cruz mountains at my request, as I wanted my brother to check the actual distance from the house to the dam, a ride I took many weekends with an old Rawlings baseball glove resting securely at the base of butterfly handlebars, a pump action Daisy bb gun lying in my lap. A small creek runs hand in glove with the narrow blacktop that leads to the dam, and at the beginning of the climb I noticed some children walking in the creek. They were not playing. Without saying a word I turned my gaze from them to my brother. "Homeless family. Been there a couple years."

I thoroughly enjoyed the time with my brother, and viewing through older eyes many of the places that shaped my life. I left in 1985 for good, and have no desire to leave my adopted state. But to the point of the OP, there are many there who choose to stay and fight, and if we are inclined to support them, so be it. They may be polishing the brass on the Titanic, but perhaps the nobility lies not in the futility of the effort, but in the ship of state itself they see worth trying to save, even as she appears to be slipping beneath the waves.

Mike

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: rocky mtn bill
....We all obey nature's laws -- sooner or later. To be a survivor requires the sooner option. Despite its kookiness, California is trying to be on the sooner side. There is an objective reality....

What a great board, I learn something every day. Thanks Bill.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: wingshooter16
I was born in the San Joaquin Valley just over 62 years ago. My parents bought a house in San Jose for 15,000 in 1957, taking me and my two older siblings there from the Central Valley. There were whispers many decades later that living with my paternal grandfather was no longer possible, my mother insistent on getting my sister away from "that wicked old man." They would have two more boys there, and the four boys shared one bedroom, as the only girl had to have her own room. 5 kids shared one bathroom. The house payment was 144/month. Dad was an alcoholic and philanderer, working as a self-taught electrical engineer with Pacific Telephone, having started by climbing poles. It was a real struggle for him to afford the sturdy lineman boots he needed, that seemed to wear out all too quickly. We got new clothes once a year, at the start of school. We got a few at Christmas from my maternal grandmother, though of course we boys viewed it as a great letdown to get clothes for Christmas. I did get a shiny red bike that I asked for one year, and had to stand on the brick planter to get on. Dad always found a way for a regular family vacation when we were young, usually involving water skiing at one of the many reservoirs with camping facilities.

With all the bad, there was so much good. I loved where I grew up- the climate, topography, plentiful work, and the prettiest girls in the world. With three brothers we always had an instant sports team of some flavor. I walked to elementary school through the orchards that became Silicon Valley. I went to a great church that was located within walking distance of where Netflix is now located.

I hadn't been home in a few years (it will always be home, and I will always be a native Californian. I still correct people who call me a Texan, though I love this state and its independent streak), but last summer I flew back on my birthday to spend time with my younger brother. We drove around to all the old haunts, and stepping outside on to the hotel balcony, catching a whiff of Gilroy garlic in the air brought on a torrent of memories that caught me off guard, and shook me to my soul. It was the smell of, home. Many of you know what smells can mean and do to memory.

It was so good to be home, and the land/air/ sea and golden light are the same. I was shocked at the shanty towns and tents- encampments on the side of the highway and the sidewalks of businesses that sported tall chain link fences topped with razor wire.

We went to the small reservoir in the foothills of the Santa Cruz mountains at my request, as I wanted my brother to check the actual distance from the house to the dam, a ride I took many weekends with an old Rawlings baseball glove resting securely at the base of butterfly handlebars, a pump action Daisy bb gun lying in my lap. A small creek runs hand in glove with the narrow blacktop that leads to the dam, and at the beginning of the climb I noticed some children walking in the creek. They were not playing. Without saying a word I turned my gaze from them to my brother. "Homeless family. Been there a couple years."

I thoroughly enjoyed the time with my brother, and viewing through older eyes many of the places that shaped my life. I left in 1985 for good, and have no desire to leave my adopted state. But to the point of the OP, there are many there who choose to stay and fight, and if we are inclined to support them, so be it. They may be polishing the brass on the Titanic, but perhaps the nobility lies not in the futility of the effort, but in the ship of state itself they see worth trying to save, even as she appears to be slipping beneath the waves.

Mike

The whole thread has been worth the effort to get this. Thank you Mike. Beautifully written. I grew up in southern Manitoba and you could hardly find a more different place. But your writing brought me back.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, beautifully written and perfectly encapsulated the conflict between Dorothy's and Thomas Wolfe's thoughts of home. Gil

Page 19 of 19 1 2 17 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.