April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Der Ami, SKB, WBLDon, Karl Graebner, 1 invisible), 865 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,819
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 56 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 55 56
MD2 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Owenjj3
MD2, Beautiful gun. I am guessing 1890s English sidelock? Tell us more! BTW nice pile odoves.

Thanks Owen for the compliment and interest in the gun. I could write an entire article about the mystery surrounding this gun and its condition but that is a discussion for another thread. A Webley & Scott SLE 16 bore. Built in 1906. Has 30 barrels and in 1961 was re-proofed for 2 chambers. Most likely the chambers were lengthened as part of a very well done restoration. Current condition would suggest it has not been used very often. The original chokes were IC/Full and I had them opened to Skeet/IM. The stock was bent to my measurements and the LOP is 14 5/8. Weight is 5 lbs 15 oz.

Its a beautiful light weight 16 bore SXS that has spent too many years resting in its old hard case. A gun that handles this nice is truly a pleasure to shoot on passing doves (or any other game birds).

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wound up the early dove season yesterday afternoon. As hurricane Florence pushed it's way inland past us through South Carolina, we had temps in the upper 70s, light rain, and winds gusting to about 30 mph. Just the right conditions for an afternoon of great sport with doves!! grin

Decided to take the Westernfield/Browning 20 that I bought from Lloyd last year. I had shot a few clays with it, and replaced the bead to help get the pattern down a little lower (which worked perfectly), but it had been sitting waiting. I promised Lloyd it would see dove fields, so I decided yesterday was the time to fulfill that.

The birds were flying very high and fast. The leads it took on some were just phenomenal. I remember seeing what looked like 8-9 feet on several that I scratched down. The modified choke, with 1 oz. shot, worked great. We went too late. The field owner said we would take the field at 3. We should have been there at 12:30. I know the birds fed early because of the impending weather, but before it was over the little pumpgun managed 13 down. I paused for a break to snap this poor pic. Sorry for the quality of it, but I had something else on my mind. wink

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 09/16/18 08:47 AM. Reason: sp.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Glad to see that gun in the field. I'll probably get my 16ga 520 flat top out sometime this season as well...Geo

I spotted this 20ga on Gunrunner yesterday:
< https://auctions.thegunrunner.com/lots/v...-28-barrel-1912>

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 09/16/18 08:50 AM. Reason: added final sentence
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Glad to see that gun in the field. I'll probably get my 16ga 520 flat top out sometime this season as well...Geo

Now THAT is a sweet pump Geo....especially with the tang safety, which I believe that model had?

Sidelock
Sidelock

One pumpgun is enough for me. I don't have enough sense to operate one. I missed several easy chances at doves yesterday because I had either forgotten to shuck it or had short-stroked it.

Ahrd docere illud vetus canis nova artificia

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

OT, Stan, cotton standing?

Sidelock
Sidelock

OK, Im slightly jumping the gun here, as the Ruffed grouse season has just opened in Ontario and I wont be able to go to my favourite spot until later in the week...

Ill be taking this Charles William Lancaster 12-gauge under-lever centre-fire gun, possibly built as a base-fire, with the conical base-fire strikers replaced by normal centre-fire ones. Or it was built as-is to use the early Pottet/Boxer or Schneider/Daw centre-fire cartridges. Ill never know, as the Lancaster order book simply records it as a '12-bore under-lever centre-fire'. The damascus barrels have 2 1/2" chambers and have been nitro-proofed for 1 1/8 oz loads.

This particular gun was built in 1864 for Colonel Sir Thales Pease KCB, and the action is Lancasters 'slide-and-tilt' type, where the underlever moves the barrels forward before they can swing on the hinge. If you havent had the chance to handle one of these, the action face is not at the normal 90 degree angle to the flats. Instead it is at an acute angle, making for a very strong closure once the barrels have slid back into place. Lancaster favoured nose-less hammers, and the locks are non-rebounding.

As to the action design, there is much history behind it. Albert Henry Marie Renette of Paris obtained two French patents in 1820 for exterior-primed (capping breechloader) guns with slide-and-tilt actions, some seven years before Casimir Lefaucheux patented his hinge-action capping breechloading gun, which led the way to his pinfire invention in 1834. In 1853 Renette's son-in-law and partner, Louis Julien Gastinne, obtained French patent No. 9058 for this breech action on a hammer gun, intended to use the new internally-primed centerfire cartridges. The prolific patent agent Auguste Edouard Loradoux Bellford patented the design in Great Britain, receiving patent No. 2778 of 1853. This is the patent that was later assigned to Lancaster and first used for his base-fire cartridge, and the story behind Charles Lancasters Patent marked on his guns though the patent was never taken out in his name.

The end result is a beautifully balanced gun, with measurements that suit me. One hundred and fifty-four years after leaving Lancasters Bond Street shop, it is still in the field!

Sidelock
Sidelock

What a great history for a great gun! Thanks for sharing. Im envious!

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, King, the cotton is unscathed. The Carolinians took the brunt of the storm. They are the ones whose crops, homes, businesses and property took the licking. They will need the help of their neighbors in recovering..........and grieving.

Thanks for asking.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Yes, King, the cotton is unscathed.
SRH

Great news, Stan. Was wondering also.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Page 6 of 56 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 55 56

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.