March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, smlekid), 289 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#523767 09/24/18 02:58 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Most of us here seem to be old enough to appreciate Social Security. To add to SKB's topic about favorite rifles, I'm curious to hear how members' interests have evolved as we matured. As an adolescent, I thought the pinnacle of rifle satisfaction would be a 257 Weatherby. Fortunately, I never had the money to pursue that delusion. Then I discovered Jack O'Connor and concluded a 270 was the best single caliber. Meanwhile I'd been shooting a 30-40 Krag. When I finally had enough money to choose what I shot, I settled on the 270, and for forty years it was what I used. When my grandson started hunting, I realized that he'd inherited a trait from me that involved a slight handicap; we're both right handed but left eye dominant. We shoot left handed. Simultaneously I discovered an interest in '03 Springfields and the 30-06. I gave my left hand Dakota 270 to Nathaniel and never looked back. To me the '06 gives a lot more flexibility, mostly through the use of lead bullets. I still like the 30-40 for some of the same reasons. I once thought the Model 70 was the best thing going. Gradually I shifted to favor the 98 Mauser. I know the M70 is better than a Springfield in some technical details, but I still prefer the '03. I feel settled on the bolt rifle question. I'm still up in the air on single shots having never owned a Holland Woodward.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

In 1962 I bought a Model 70 Winchester Featherweight in .243 Win. caliber. It was my favorite for years and brought down many white tails. Nearly every kill was a one shot kill. I shot them through the chest. They would run 50 yards or less before bleeding out. About 10 years ago I wanted more challenge so started hunting with a .30-'06 1903 Springfield NRA sporter using iron sights. Killed 3 or 4 bucks with it until Rock Mtn Bill sold me another NRA Sporter on which he had slimmed and checkered the stock. It is now my deer rifle but have lost interest in hunting so it now resides in the safe.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Billy, I see you are once again posting your disdain for pro-2nd amendment Conservatives in the main Double Gun forum in the "Judge Brett Kavanaugh" thread.

I wonder why you don't post your support for anti-gunners here in this sub-forum. I also wonder why you are tarring Judge Kavanaugh and another Supreme Court Justice as sexual predators when you would never do the same concerning far more credible accusations against Liberal Democrat anti-gunners like Bill Clinton or Ted Kennedy? Do you think they were unfit for office?

My favorite rifle is my .50 caliber flintlock. I also like the pre-64 Model 70 that belonged to my dad, and I like my 1895 Marlin .45-70. I'm hoping to kill a deer with my new .450 BPE double rifle this year. I have lots of rifles that I really like, but I've never liked anyone who supports anti-gunners. That's as goofy and irresponsible as hiring a pedophile to babysit your kids.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I also bought a Model 70 in the early sixties, new, when I was a teenager, carried it through the streets of D.C. to my father's office. Since I rarely hunt with a centerfire rifle, I sold it in a few years. Now, I would probably consider an 03 NRA Sporter my favorite, even though it is still an iron sight gun. I bought it from a friend who probably bought it from NRA, new, in the forties. If I need a scope, I would probably use my well worn Oberlies 03, both are 30-06 caliber guns, both always sighted and ready to go, although neither have drawn blood in the many years I have owned them. I carry a Ruger 77 in 7MM Remington Magnum on Canadian hunts, but I would hesitate to call it my favorite, although its 40 year test target is hardly bigger than an inch and a quarter.

Last edited by eightbore; 09/24/18 05:42 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My ideal is to have one( or more) of every caliber.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Der Ami, I agree. So far, I've never had a 416, a 458, a 600, a 470, a 17,a 20,or a 22 mag. Otherwise, I've covered most of the ground. Favorite calibers these days include 22LR, 22 Hornet, 222 Rem, 257 Roberts, 7x57, 7.65 Arg, 30-40, 30-06, 35 Win, 375 H&H, and 45-70. The latter two I enjoy less and less except with sissy loads.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

As a young guy in the 60's I just hoped I could amass a small collection of .22 RF pump rifles. I had no dreams of centerfire guns as they were beyond my budget back then. Over a number of years I gathered together a variety of pump .22's, with most being Remington Model 12 variations. I was pretty happy with the little .22 pumps.
Then I got into Marlin lever action repeaters of the very early variety. Mostly pre WWI, with a few in the post WWI era. I amassed a collection that covered every model, caliber, and feature I could get my hands on. Then I realized I did not have an example of a Marlin single shot rifle. The Ballard.
I found a Marlin Ballard at a local gun show, and was intrigued with the design. Soon I began searching for other models, and before I knew it I was selling my large collection of lever action repeaters and replacing them with Marlin Ballard rifles.
I have some Remington Rolling Blocks, and Hepburns. Also a few others from various makers, but the single shots are my true focus, and especially Marlin Ballards.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My favorite rifles are Winchester 1885s. Of those, I am often torn between the top and middle rifles in this photo. The middle is a .22 and is both a premier target rifle and an awesome squirrel rifle. It can be configured in many different styles for different occasions. Here it is tricked out for Schuetzen offhandl The top is a dedicated .45-70 target rifle, but it is amazing - or it was until last June.

The bottom rifle is giving me fits. Big ones. Right now.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

My first rifle was a Savage Model 340 .30-30, the rifle with which I killed my first deer. Over the years I've accumulated quite a number, some of which came and went. They included double rifles (a Belgian .405 Winchester weighing 7-1/2 pounds that was more gun than I was man remains in my memory; the .250-3000 German double that replaced it was far more fun to shoot); single shots (primarily small frame Martini rifles, both BSA target rifles of various models and customized Cadets, although I have one Swinburne's Patent Martini currently being restored and an older Winchester Hi-Wall with a .218 Bee barrel rechambered to .219 Zipper Improved; there was once also a custom Ruger No. 1 .270); lever actions (Marlin 336 in .219 Zipper, Marlin 336A .30-30 and Marlin 39A .22; Winchester Model 64 .30-30 and Savage Model 99 .300 Savage); and more bolt actions (SAKO L61R .270, Remington 700 .222, CZ .204 Ruger, Springfield 1922 converted to .22 Hornet repeater, and Remington 725 .280 Remington). There have even been a couple of pumps (Remington .22 and Remington Model 141 in .32 Remington). And there are quite a number of .22s of various makes and designs. When my dad passed away, his Winchester Model 94 came to live with me as well. Somewhere along the line, I even ended up with a Springfield Armory M1A, a rifle I have no earthly use for, as all the DCM style matches in my area conflict with church on Sundays. It's the only semi-automatic long gun I ever owned.

These days, if I'm going deer hunting the Savage 99F goes with me. Were I ever fortunate enough to hunt elk or moose, the Remington 725 would probably be the first choice. Squirrel hunting is done with a Greener Martini .22 I had customized by a now-retired gunsmith named Brian Burgin. Varmint hunting will be done with the Springfield 1922 or the CZ.

Mostly I prefer sxs shotguns, particularly hammer guns and Darnes. My favorite is a Charles Moore 12 gauge with sleeved barrels that I bought from a member of this BBS. I shoot it regularly, both at skeet and preserve pheasants. I'd like to find a long barreled (28 or 30 inch) Darne 28 gauge and would still like to own a higher grade Manufrance Ideal, but I doubt I'll ever find either, as I don't really look anymore and I'm in an inventory reduction mode at this stage of life.

Firearms have given me immense pleasure over the years. I enjoy the craftsmanship of the older ones and marvel at what human hands and hand tools could accomplish and how long quality workmanship endures if cared for properly. We are truly fortunate to live in place where personal ownership and use of such things is permitted.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I sometimes wonder why I have so many rifles.....I don't hunt anymore and I rarely shoot any matches either. If I had a clue I'd sell some and buy another SC's shotgun as that is what my focus is these days. My current favorite is my 38-55 High Wall that is outfitted similar to Brent's lower pictured rifle....that may change next week....

Last edited by Ken Nelson; 09/25/18 11:30 AM.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.