May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (Ted Schefelbein, Buzz, Tim Wolf, battle, 2 invisible), 536 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,456
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hammergun, thanks for the Hoppes adapter tip. I have several of the old wood rods that I like but don't use because of the threads.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can't find the adapters on the Hoppe web site. Any hints ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Paul,
Jeff's Outfitters has an adapter for his rods to take U.S. threads that he doesn't list. I have one and it's really nicely made. Just give him a call.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Karl, thanks. You know, you can come out and shoot other than my SxS event. We're open Sunday and Friday 10 to 4 and Tuesday 10 to 9pm. Be fun seeing you again.
Paul

Sidelock
Sidelock

Paul - It's Hoppes item BRXS. It is on the website but not pictured. I think I'm going to get a few more too.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A friend gave me a Parker-Hale cleaning kit years ago. It has a very nice wooden three-piece rod in it, too. It's much like the nice one jOe linked to. Seems I only use it when I'm away from home on a trip, shooting or hunting, and don't want to be bothered with carrying my long one-piece rods.

I've been given a couple of those cheap, three-piece ones, too. Usually they're not even straight, but have a curve when assembled. I even repaired one once, but as jOe said again, it wasn't worth the trouble.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I keep a Dewey coated rod with a shotgun adapter and stainless 12ga. brush with a patch over it in the back of my truck. I like to keep my choke brushed at least.

The Lewis and Drake rod is 3 piece and stout probably made in India or some where.
Stan I'm like you I prefer a one piece rod after that a two piece.

I bought a 2 piece ebony Purdey rod off ebay years back...it was too pretty to use so I sold it.

I'm more of a user than a poser.

Sidelock
Sidelock

At one time I almost had more cleaning rods than shotguns...(don't even ask about about 1911 lined holsters).

The top one is a Lewis and Drake rosewood rod. I turned the Madagascar ebony door knob handle with ivory accent to use it as loading rod when I was into muzzle loaders.Might be time to dump the handle. The Lewis and Drake is a stiff rod.
The next one I made from an oak dowel rod fitted with a desert ironwood handle with ivory accent.
The third one is a Gabon ebony rod I made with salvaged fittings it also has elephant ivory accent, quite stiff and sturdy. Did most of the work on it with a spoke shave...some on a wood lathe. I left the ebony a little proud of the fittings so the brass fittings wouldn't contact the barrel.
The last one is a 36 Dewey rod with a shotgun adapter I keep it in my truck along with a 12 and 20 ga. pull threw and a can of solvent/oil.

Today most guys just use those pull threws but when you want a thorough cleaning a barrel vise and good rod and brush is key.
Here's a front picture...my go to rod is the one I made from the oak dowel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You guys are shaming me. My gun cleaning outfit is a three piece aluminum rod stout enough to push on with a bronze brush that sort of fits the thread on the rod, and some paper towels torn into 4 squares.

That outfit with a spray-can of rem-oil and one of solvent does the job for me. The rod has lost its handle so when I need to really clean the barrels I chuck it in a hand drill and wrap the brush with 4-0 steel wool and spin it...Geo

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 10/04/18 09:55 AM. Reason: added final sentence
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.