March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (canvasback, Ken Nelson, Dan S. W., Marc Ret, SKB, 1 invisible), 799 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#525095 10/05/18 08:01 PM
rwmckee Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

35 years ago (doesn't seem like it) I spent most of a couple years in tidewater Virginia and there was a fantastic gun shop somewhere up around Richmond. I think it was to the south or east as I don't recall driving across or around town to get to it. It seems it was called Greensomething. Huge selection of used guns. I'll be in that area again the end of the month. Anybody familiar with what I'm talking about and whether it's still there?

Roger

jmc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Greentop,, aint think you will find that they have a few doubles but last time I was in about 5 yrs ago it was slim pickings. They have moved into a big box space and I believe it is off the Ashland exit on I-95

Sidelock
Sidelock

Do a search for Green Top for their website.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Check out Clark Brothers and Dances sporting goods. I have found pretty good guns in both of these shops. Marvin Dance has some high end guns in the safe not on display. Maybe Green top has some in the back too. Cabela's Richmond may have something in the Gun library. But staff is typical Cabela's big box.

eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

A very nice AHE Parker was purchased at Greentop this summer. A friend of mine bought a Purdey from them a couple years ago. They get some nice guns in.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I found my 1 1/2 Grade Ithaca NID 10 at Green Top several years ago. Rough on the rack now nicely restored. It came out of someones estate with several other Ithacas Its a big shop with large inventory and turnover. Never know what you might find. They price to sell, diamonds in the rough don't sit long.

Boats

Last edited by Boats; 10/06/18 09:09 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've bought many guns at Green Top over the past 40+ years, but none lately. I don't see many good doubles there these days, but you never know what you might find on a given day.

Clark Brothers (mentioned above by GMCS) is another good shop, but it is about 80+ miles north of Richmond near Warrenton.

jmc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

My suggestion for VA gun shopping would be to call in advance and let them know what you are looking for and that you may be a serious buyer or plan on burning a lot of gas and being disappointed.. Ive been to them all too over the past 30 yrs (born and raised in VA) and it is definitely not the good old days where there was bound to be something on the racks.. Dont call on a weekend especially in the fall as they will be swamped with customers.. -jmc

rwmckee Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I wasn't going there to look for anything in particular.

I don't even own a double now, am not interested in them, and rarely shoot shotguns at all. I mostly only shoot rifles. I just remembered a shop there somewhere having a big selection of used guns and thought it'd be a good way to kill a couple hours if it were still around.

I did buy my Dad a Flues model a month ago as that's one neither of us had ever owned.

rwmckee Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I looked up the website and the location on google maps. I don't think that's the place I'm remembering. I must be confused about the name. 35 years....probably not around now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.