May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jason Dubois, David Williamson, Tim Carney, 1 invisible), 267 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,547
Posts546,163
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

1926 Davis (Davis-Warner Arms Corp. Brooklyn, NY and Norwich, CT) catalog courtesy of David Noreen listed the Davis MAXIMIN, "specially built and choked for short range and Target 70% at 35 yds. 12 ga.-24 in. barrels. 16 ga.-22 in. barrels. 20 ga.-20 in. barrels. Record of 21 successive wing shots and 21 killings have been made with one of these guns." Price $30.00.

Tryon catalog

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think Greener mentions the idea of short-bbled, light 12s being marketed as Brush guns as nothing new in one of his books.

This Francotte I've been lusting after would certainly qualify as one:

http://montywhitley.com/product/early-francotte-12-gauge-double-ejector-gun/

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

He never used the term "brush gun" however, and it may uniquely American
William Wellington Greener, The Gun and Its Development, 1907
http://books.google.com/books?id=3HMCAAAAYAAJ

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
The Baker Brush model was one of their Batavia lines. As such it lacked the draw bolt & firing pin blocks of the higher grade Baker lines. I have had a couple of the Batavia guns over the years, a 12 gauge Batavia Special & a 16 ga Black Beauty, both with steel barrels. Even though on the low end of the Totem Pole as far as Bakers go, they're not bad guns. Certainly well above the myriad of JABC's which infiltrated the country in the same era.

Hammer welded barrels of any sort was a bug I never caught. I had chances to buy several Bakers over the years, but, never did. Something else always was more important in the end.
If you are interested, Dewey Vicknair has added a postscript to his “American Doubles” post on his blog. He is harsh on the Baker, and while I have no dog in that fight, I would think twice before I ignored what he has to say on the subject.
Most of the low grade Belgium guns I have handled in the last thirty years were not technically firearms anymore.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very interesting topic...thank you!

Sidelock
Sidelock

As per Researcher/Dave N's reply above referring to the A. H. Fox Sterlingworth "Brush" model, here's a picture of my Model 1911 12 gauge Sterlingworth 26" Brush model Serial Number 57979 and the John Callahan/Savage letter confirming that configuration. Shipped October 24, 1911. (25 years to the day before I was born.)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well Ted just to be totally honest if I was only willing to shoot what Mr Dewey Vickner approved of I likely would have to stick with Tiddly Winks. The only two Bakers I have had any experience with were both solid, well-made shooters although certainly not London Best's.

I'm sorta like Rhett Butler "Franklin I don't give a **** " if he likes them or not, I am fully capable of deciding for myself what I like. At a gun show once I found what was most likely a pristine condition original condition B grade Baker at a very attractive price. Didn't buy it, but should have. At the time I knew virtually nothing about Baker's & thought it simply to high grade to have twist barrels so assumed it was mismatched. I have regretted ever since I didn't buy that gun, have never found another in such good condition at so good a price. This was many years ago when anything with a "Welded" barrel was considered a Wallhanger & a drug on the market.

I do still like my Lefevers better than a Baker, but that doesn't mean I consider them a bad gun, because they're not.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I too don't give a rat what Vicknair thinks. I have three Bakers which seem to be holding together just fine. Along with an assortment of other awful machine made american guns. All still working. I have English and Continental guns too including two best quality guns and they still function, just like my Bakers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Hammergun
I too don't give a rat what Vicknair thinks. I have three Bakers which seem to be holding together just fine. Along with an assortment of other awful machine made american guns. All still working. I have English and Continental guns too including two best quality guns and they still function, just like my Bakers.

Good for you. I’ve always been willing to listen to what anyone has to say on a subject I’m interested in, even if I don’t always agree with it.

That has saved me from a few “gumption traps” over the years.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause

Well, I wasn't dressed like that, and there was a dog around somewhere. But the departing woodcock and the shooter looking as if he's not likely to get off a shot . . . looks like me yesterday a few times!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.