April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jimmy W, Marks_21, old colonel, Roundsworth, 1 invisible), 723 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,146
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I bought some 2 3/4 12 ga. fiber wad shells to see how they would perform in my 3" chambered Win. 101. I suspected there would be gas leakage and the possible balling of shot. Alas a torn rotator cuff has put a hold on this experiment.
Has anyone else tried 2 3/4 fiber wad shells in 3" chambers?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
I hear a lot of anger here from deer hunters in Georgia over deer losses by coyotes during the fawn drop season. There have been published articles about some counties being dangerously close to the "predator pit" issue where once predators get the upper hand, no amount of reproduction can balance out the losses. Around here, the DNR is catching grief over the coyote population and deer population reduction. It seems someone is always complaining about lack of action by the DNR. Politics are often involved in controlling DNR action. For instance, a group of saltwater fishing guides met with local DNR to lower redfish limits as the 5 fish limit was impacting the number of fish. SC and Florida have far lower limits. The DNR said their hands were tied because they must first do a "study" before lowering limits. The legislature controls the funding which must be in place for studies. Another example of politics was the legislature's allowing hunting over feeders. On a radio program, a DNR representative said that the decision to allow baiting for deer was not based upon game management principles but was based on political reasons. Damned if you do; damned if you don't. Gil

The farmers around here are, including myself, diametrically opposed to what the deer hunters want concerning the coyotes. As I have said many times, coyotes are the farmer's friend. Coyotes eat deer, deer eat row crops ...............do the math. For any here who may feel that coyotes are not an efficient predator of deer, allow me to enlighten. A turkey hunter here found a coyote den a couple years ago and set up a trail camera nearby. That spring alone the mama 'yote brought eight fawns to her pups, that she had killed. I'd say that's pretty effective predation for one dog. And, to further bolster my high opinion of them as a predator, they catch and eat many, many wild pigs/piglets year 'round, too.

Quickest way to get a free pass off my land is for me to find out that you shot/shot at a coyote. I don't mean to sound like a tyrant, but it's my tens fo thousands of $$$ that the deer are eating every year, not my guest's.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Welcome Bill. The issue of short shells with fibre wads in long chambers was discussed in theory by Mr. Griffith back in 1897, but was not included in his experiments
https://books.google.com/books?id=inQCAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA234
Scroll down to p. 237

How did the Mearns do with all the rain in SE AZ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm afraid we were busy selling the ranch, cattle, equip., etc. and I had no time to hunt, much to the chagrin of the girls(GSP's). We've moved just North of Scottsdale with dogs and horses. I tore my rotator cuff at the ranch running out with a gun to shoot a chula that was fighting with the dogs. I had surgery in May and the recovery is good but I won't shoot until next year.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There were a lot of 1960s ducks killed by the 2 3/4 inch fiber wad shell in the right barrel of my 3-inch chambered Super-Fox. I only carried those expensive 3-inch shells in the left barrel.

The Pheasant is the first one I ever shot with the straight grip, 28-inch barrel, 12-gauge, 1914-vintage A-Grade Ansley H. Fox that has come to be known as "Meat-in-the-Pot,"

Sidelock
Sidelock

Borderbill, I use felt wad cartridges in all manner of guns and never seem to have any problems. The cormorant I shot this morning with an Eley felt wad magnum load from my semi auto couldn't tell. And yes I did search for and pick up my empty plastic case. In practical use it matters little. Welcome to the site by the way. Lagopus…..

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.