March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (2 invisible), 309 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#525745 10/11/18 12:05 PM
jmc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello Forum,

Its been 6 or 7 years since Ive flown commmercial with guns in my luggage and Im reaching out for any insights from those who do so frequently or more recently than me.

My first concern is my choice of cases. I loaned my dedicated 2-gun breakdown case to my brother who lives too far to retrieve and given that Im flying out early next week, hes not able to ship it back to me in time for this trip...

So, I am left with a traditional Browning O/U hard sided case that does have 2 locking latches. Its the commonly seen brown case with brass reinforced corners and brown soft interior. Secondly, I have my original Parker Repros Emmebi which also has 2 locking latches. Both cases will fit in a separate bottom compartment of my fairly sturdy but soft rolling duffel (G. Loomis). My immediate question is whether the latch locking mechanisms are acceptable by the airlines / TSA? Had no problems with these type of locks or rolling combo locks in the past..

Im not wild about using either case as they will not offer the same protection as purpose built airline cases e.g., Americase aluminum or Pelican type plastic but, the ones I have fit in my luggage and I can pad around them for a little more protection.

So, back to the question,, will either of my cases be acceptable upon inspection at the airport. Flying Delta from AUS to IAD.. Thanks much for any suggestions and firsthand knowledge..

- Jerry

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't think either of those cases would pass
the Samsonite Gorilla test.

https://youtu.be/8C-e96m4730

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use an SKB hard case made for airline use ( similar to pelican cases/less$$)Takes 2 master locks for the TSA and any beating the airline wants to deliver.

For multiple guns I use a Tuff Pack that gives you the ability to ship several guns in makers cases inside the locking TuffPack.
(also gorilla proof)

I would not use the cases you mentioned; the gorilla will eat them !

Last edited by teeny350; 10/11/18 01:44 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Better buy you a Pelican case....I watched a worker throw my Pelican case 10 feet when we changed planes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

i agree on the tuffpak

but my second choice for anything i need to protect - down to optics and cameras is the Pelican brand -

if there is no place near you to buy a proper case in person - the on line sellers will express ship them

or- can you pack them in the case you have, pack that case carefully in a box and ship it to yourself at your destination

jmc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you for the replies, gentlemen. Good suggestions for separating the gun case from luggage however, my plan, sort of, is to place the gun case in the purpose built compartment of a large rolling duffel.. I used to use an Orvis bag and Americase that fit it and never had a problem. Can do the same now but would be with the Browning or Emmebi in the bottom of my roller.. Still sketchy, I know.. Hate to leave my best grouse / woodcock gun home but may opt to just borrow a buddys O/U and spare the stress.. Jerry

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use a pair of Pelicans and they always get treated with great care and respect. Africa, Alaska, Arizona, it doesn't matter. All good. I think the Browning cases would be fine (I have one) if the locks were good enough for TSA.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I do have to say that luggage handlers scare me more than a tax man .
I have a Krieghoff Americase and I would hate them to throw that around. Is a Negrini plastic guncase airline safe?

Sidelock
Sidelock

IMHO no they are not safe.

My guns travel as luggage ( in pelcan type case or tuffpak ) 4-6 times per year. ( Hungary, South America, Georgia and Oregon)

The cases come off the planes pretty well scuffed up. I can not imagine a small Negrini, Browning or Americase faring well.

You will likely pick them up from baggage claim scratched, scuffed and dented. Hopefully the firearms inside will travel well.

With the Pelican case or TuffPak there is no question.

jmc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Which Pelican model or similar brand is best for a single SXS. Cabelas seems to carry them and Im only 20 mins from Buda, TX store... Thanks again for all the input... Jerry

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.