March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (trw999), 852 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow - it's sleeved! Sorry to hear that.

Did he say how he spotted it? Were the seams visible on the outside of the bbls? Were the bbls marked "sleeved" and reproofed?

And what did he say about the stock? Was it as off as it looks in the pics?

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
kdross Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The seams of the sleeves were welded to hide the sleeves. The barrels were NOT marked sleeved. Whoever installed the sleeves intended to deceive future purchasers. In all honesty I do not believe Steve Barnett knew the barrels were sleeved. My gunsmith said in England criminal charges would have been filed based on the condition of the gun.

The stock was done by an English restocker, but the services of a finisher were not used. The stock was not up to the standards of a Purdey gun. I was quoted $7,500 to $8,500 for a new stock. My gunsmith said the stock was OK, but not up to the standards of a top tier gun.

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

That stinks.

I wonder who sleeved it - maybe it was done over here? Does anyone in the states offer seamless sleeving?

You're lucky your guy caught it.

In the past, I know some dealers used seamless sleeving as a way clean up bbls and pass them off as original. This was before seamless sleeving was common, so most people were fooled by it. I bet it fooled (and fools) a lot of 'smiths.

BTW: another shady thing some dealers would do was re-bbl a 16g down to a 20g, then pass it off as original - especially British O/Us and top-tier stuff like Purdey SxSs. Of course, this was back when 16s were cheap and maker's records were hard to access.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have heard that Merrington sleeves guns but doesn't mark them as sleeved as the proof house would. A bad practice to my eyes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

kdross: Sounds like you have a good gunsmith. If you are in NJ, you cannot be too far from me. Are you willing to share his name? (Not that I have any particular need at the moment, but it is always good to have someone in line.)

max Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

There is no way anybody can fault Steve Barnett in this situation. He is a gun salesman, not a gunsmith and he is as honest as they come.

kdross Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Max: I already stated that I believe Steve Barnett had no knowledge of the sleeve.

Newlyn1: Send me an email at kdross@msn.com

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

I certainly didn't mean to criticize Mr. Ross for trying to purchase a $25k Purdey and I'm the last guy on this board to ask what kind of a Purdey one should expect for 25k. Heck, I've never even seen a Purdey. I admire him for upping his original ante from 15k to 25. I'm just surprised that it seems to be so tough to find one in good condition for that price...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

KYjon, tell me something about the crossover Boss. I have been looking for a proper, high condition Best crossover gun for years. Purdey, Boss, Woodward would be nice. I have several crossover guns, but not a Best. The manufacturers have told me that my chances of finding one in their hands are not good because they convert them back to straight for the big buck. Who had the nice Boss? Feel free to email me at wilmrph@verizon.net Thanks, Bill Murphy

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is a thought. How about going to England and attending an auction with Dig (for instance, or have him pick one out for you). This way you can possibly get one without all the various markups (other than his fee) and get more bang for your buck.

Or, maybe even better yet, go New York, see a show, have a great meal and buy a nice Holland and Holland Second Hand from Dave Cruz at the Holland and Holland store. That way you have the actual maker standing behind your purchase. Last I checked they had a few guns in the 20 to 30 range.

Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.