May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (Purpleshells), 1,117 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,513
Posts545,667
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#52610 08/17/07 09:55 PM
Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Please excuse this use of this forum for this OT, but the membership here is a knowledge base beyond belief... and there are some related skills and materials involved here.

My father, who past away in 1985, had a guitar in an old hardcase that I occasionally thought of. Yesterday, I went by my mother's and picked it out of a closet and took it home. I hadn't openned that case in at least 20 years that I can recall. It turns out in a few hours, I had ID'd it as a 1937 "archtop" Gibson L-12 accoustic Jazz guitar. My father toured with a Jazz band before he enlisted just before WW2.

Also, as I had recalled it is damaged. There is about a 7" crack from the top "F-hole" to the top of the body. Otherwise it is in very good condition but for the normal lacquer crazing, which is not bad at all.

Questions:
What should I do about repairing it? (how much repair? Refinish the entire top? No refinish, just leave the crack line after glueing?)
Who should do it?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck:I dont know a darn thing about guitars, but I believe these folks are highly regarded by musicians. I know they were very helpful when I purchased my son a fairly expensive guitar.

Buffalo Bros Vintage Guitars
2270 Camino Vida Roble
Carlsbad, CA
760-431-9542

Chicago Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck, the Gibsons are still made here, in Bozeman, Mt. I would think you could get some info on yours. I met a guy shooting a few years ago. His name was Wren or Ren, and he worked for them. Try to google them up and see what you find. Neat gift from your dad. Daryl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck,

I have a couple of vintage instruments. I played in a couple of bluegrass bands in HS and College. One is a 1920 Gibson F4 mandolin that is likely one of the finest examples on the planet and a 1931 Martin OM-18 guitar. There is ony one place that I take them for repair. Mark Simon of Simon Guitars. He is in Bridgewater, NJ. I think you know where that is. He is one of the very best you will find anywhere. Not just my opinion. http://marksimonguitars.com If you are out this way I'd be glad to introduce you to him.

Bill G.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice guitar. Here's some more info on it:

http://vintage-guitars.blogspot.com/2006/06/gibson-l-12.html

http://www.archtop.com/ac_49L12P.html

This one is for sale for $3,850:

http://www.myjazzhome.com/47_L-12.shtml

I love Gibsons. I have a '63 Hummingbird and a '73 Les Paul Custom. They're a lot different than yours, but both great guitars.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

To do this repair yourself is much like a musician's repairing a Purdey.
Please consider checking out the sources mentioned and spring for having your father's guitar repaired by a recognized professional.
Keep us posted and good luck with it.
Best,
John

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.
Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

img]http://[/img]

This is the guitar. You may be able to see the crack extending from the top of the left F-hole upward.

John, Thanks for the nudge toward the right path. I was definitely going with a known, respected craftsman on this job.

Bill G., Maybe I'll drag this back there next time I come out and we can take it over to your friend for an assessment Thanks much.

Daryl, Thanks for anything you do in advance. I did contact Gibson's repair facility which is in Nashville, TN and they just emailed to send it in for a quote. As we all know, sometimes there are better choices than the factory. I just don't know in this case. Still investigating all options. My thought is that I'd like to have it repaired to where it's invisible. But one local repairman said not to refinish the crack or top. He just proposes glueing the crack carefully while preserving the orig finish.

Mike, thanks, I'll check them out as well.

Last edited by Chuck H; 08/18/07 02:18 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Cracks in acoustic guitar tops are either caused by trauma, or dry wood due to low humidity. If the guitar has been stored in a very dry climate (<40% humidity) for a long time, the top may crack. The inside of an acoustic guitar is not finished since the finish dampens the resonance of the body. This makes them very susceptibe to changes in humidity. Whoever repairs it, make sure they know how to assess the wood for dryness, and will correct the moisture content of the wood before repair if necessary. I have seen dry guitars with cracks that virtually disappeared once the wood was properly hydrated. I can't see the crack on yours well enough to tell what may have caused it, but the bottom line is that it is worth investigating why it cracked before repairing. If you already know it was traumatic, or can see evidence of trauma in the area of the crack, then disregard this.

JM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: obsessed-with-doubles
I love Gibsons. I have a '63 Hummingbird and a '73 Les Paul Custom. They're a lot different than yours, but both great guitars.

Same here, I used to have a Gibson SG. I always wanted a Hummingbird acoustic guitar, but never did buy one. In my later years I enjoy playing classical guitar.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow - very nice.

I'm envious. I wonder how she sounds.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.