May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jtplumb, Stanton Hillis, CJ Dawe, KY Jon, 1 invisible), 725 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,609
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some can't see the forest for the purty trees.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John Roberts
Wood finish and condition are absolutely correct for this guns age. Wood and the finish there on is much more susceptible to time and the elements than metal, especially humidity and sunlight. As to the screws timing, your guess is as good as mine.
JR

John I thought it was just the opposite of what you said when it came to case colors.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

There you go thinking again, Fred...
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 10/21/18 09:50 AM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
It's a nice gun...

It's also a long way from the mint condition advertised.

Looks like a restored gun with use to me.

I agree. Humidity & sunlight didn't put those dents in the wood. Hard to imagine a gun with that many wood dings with the metal looking that good. Plus all those mistimed screws speak for themselves.

How anyone could call this a restored piece is hard to figure. It's pretty obvious, to me at least, this is a gun that has a lot of "rack wear" and handling, which affects the wood much more than metal. Lots of dings and dents in the wood, but no typical wear to the checkering that shows up from hunting and carrying afield. From the looks of the butt plate, it probably stood in a gun cabinet or closet with other guns and who knows what else, that banged and knocked against it over the decades. It didn't get much respect, that's for sure...
JR

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John Roberts
There you go thinking again, Frank...
JR

Something you should do more of when evaluating a vintage gun.

Sometime in the guns past life it was restored....

Case colors don't last 100 years with the use and handing that gun shows.

"Rack wear"....I bet a gundealer told you that nonsense. crazy

Sidelock
Sidelock

Both of my 28-inch barrel 16-gauge Remington Hammerless Doubles weigh right at 7 pounds. So I don't see 7 pounds 3 ounces out of line at all for a 32-inch gun. Obviously someone has been inside and put those trigger plate screws back in the wrong holes, but to my eye the finishes on that gun look 100% original for 119 years of sitting in the corner of the closet.

Remington Arms Co. added the 16-gauge to their hammerless double offerings in 1897, with 28-, 30- and 32-inch barrels in all grades and also 26-inch barrels in the higher grades. With the introduction of the new style action circa 1905-06 Remington dropped the 32-inch 16-gauge barrels from their catalogue offerings.

I sure wish Steve would give us the full serial numbers and pictures of the watertable, barrel flats and bottom of the barrel markings like Jay does so I could add guns to my tables of observed specimens.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Morphy Auction's has a EE 16 gauge with 30" barrels coming up to auction.

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Researcher

I sure wish Steve would give us the full serial numbers and pictures of the watertable, barrel flats and bottom of the barrel markings like Jay does so I could add guns to my tables of observed specimens.

I agree, Researcher. I will mention that to Andrew, who does the photos for Steve.
JR

Sidelock
Sidelock

I own quite a few Remingtons and feel it's over priced. For that money I wouldn't want any worries about the stock having all those dents and the receiver and barrels looking almost new. If it's a redone gun, let's say a grand to do the receiver and barrels and what, a grand to 1500 for the gun before it's redone. That's about 2500 on the high end. So, if it is original, would it command another 2000 ? Not out of my wallet. It's worth what someone will pay. Oh ya, I can't see clearly enough what Damascus pattern is on the barrels. Can someone help ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I just went through all of the Remington shotguns Steve has for sale. Now this is JMHO, but some of the guns he's calling original have Damascus barrels that look like they just came out of the tanks used for redoing them. Of my 25 or so Damascus barrel guns - only the ones I had Brad redo look as nice. Any of those I had redone 5 to 8 years ago and have been used show wear on the sides next to the forearm. Are all of his " closet queens " - I don't think so. I really don't know what to think. Hopefully someone can straighten me out. I don't usually say something negative about someone else or their product [ items for sale ]. Maybe I'm wrong.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.