May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (R. Glenz, canvasback, Tim in PA, 2 invisible), 452 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,499
Posts545,465
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
Vall, maybe you can post some pictures of your new Marlin. Sounds really nice. I'd love to have a Deluxe. What caliber and barrel dimensions/profile?

I can if it doesn't break forum rules?
It's a .25-20 Marlin caliber, and is the "pencil weight" barrel contour. The barrel is 24" long.

If this breaks any rule, feel free to delete it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I bought a Springfield '03 from them during the July auction. It was in 35 Whelen AI and was listed as having 2 boxes of ammunition. BBT dropped off the box and I found myself with a rifle with some minor defects that were hidden and not described accurately. In addition the 2 boxes of ammo were not included. A phone call and about a weeks wait while they searched the auction site and store failed to turn up the ammunition. To their credit they gave me the option of them either buying me 2 boxes of ammunition of my choice and shipping it or refunding me $100. Since I have a few thousand '06 LC match cases, I opted for the refund which was promptly mailed. So while they may be a bit slack and optimistic in their description, I have to give them due credit for honesty and going above and beyond in rectifying the missing ammunition.

It ain't ignorance that does the most damage, it's knowing so derned much that ain't so! J. Billings
Sidelock
Sidelock

What a Sweetheart!

Thanks!

BTW, there ARE no forum rules here anymore...

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thaine, I can add a note to your experience with Little John's. A year ago I bought my first rifle from them. They had not described bore condition in the catalog so I called and got someone there to describe the bore. I was told it was excellent. When it arrived , I was surprised to find several areas of serious pitting in the bore. After some phone discussion, they refunded a satisfactory amount of the purchase price. This time, however, they simply refused to acknowledge their misrepresentation. I won't be their client again. Two- for- two is one time too m any.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Vall:

That's truly a delightful little rifle and in one of my favorite cartridges. How does it shoot?

Rem

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
BTW, there ARE no forum rules here anymore...

Right... Apparently now you can use this website to post unsubstantiated complaints about someone's business ethics without them having a chance to tell their side of the story.

How about some bore scope photos of the alleged defect Billy? And how about letting Little John's tell us their version of the sale? Or do you think getting both sides of the story would be unfair?

This wouldn't be the first time someone here complained when they got a good deal, but still wasn't happy:

AUCTIONS-- Caveat Emptor

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Remington40x
Vall:

That's truly a delightful little rifle and in one of my favorite cartridges. How does it shoot?

Rem

Since I've only owned it a few days, I haven't even got loads made up, or a load worked out. I had sold all my .25-20 brass because I thought I was done with the caliber. Fortunately I kept dies, molds, and bullets. So I've got a few hundred cases coming, and will be working up loads with the 86 gr. and 90 gr. cast lead bullets I have.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Those sound like mighty big bullets for what I am magine the twist is in that rifle. Have you had success with them to 4 in lever guns of that caliber?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

The 86-90 gr. bullets are the standard for .25-20, and it's all I've ever used in them. Not sure you can even find lighter .258" bullets suitable for the .25-20 these days?
Winchester used to list a 60 gr. and an 86 gr. as a factory load, but my two boxes of original .25-20 M are both 86 gr.

Twist rate for the Marlins in .25-20 is 1:12".

Sidelock
Sidelock

After closer inspection (still!) I was sure the bluing on my newly purchased '94 Marlin deluxe was not original. The key being a purple hue to the receiver, hammer, and lever. So I made the decision to bite the bullet and strip them to send off for color casehardening, as they were originally.
Broke the gun down, and turned the barrel off. Got out my trusty Rustoleum rust remover and applied it to all the parts. After 15-20 minutes I rinsed the parts in hot water and got a big surprise!
Whoever did the hot bluing didn't polish out the parts before bluing! The remnants of case color remained on all the parts! Not vivid or new looking, but very appropriate for the condition of the wood stocks. I decided to simply coat the parts in oil and reassemble the gun.
I prefer the faded case colors to new case colors, or the hot blue. It has a nice appearance that fits the rest of the finish well.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.