April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (graybeardtmm3, R. Glenz, Argo44, 1 invisible), 203 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,161
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Hammergun
Be aware that some countries consider the 4457 to be your US issued permit to own the gun. They cannot wrap their heads around the fact that US citizens don't need permits to own a firearm.

US Customs considers the form 4457 good for life but South Africa requires that it be dated in the same calendar year as you are traveling.

4457s are for use only by USA officials.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not so. You cannot get a firearm into South Africa without one.

As I stated above, some countries consider it to be a US gun permit. It may be intended for just US Customs use but used by other governments as well.

Last edited by Hammergun; 10/29/18 07:21 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Hammergun
Not so. You cannot get a firearm into South Africa without one.

As I stated above, some countries consider it to be a US gun permit. It may be intended for just US Customs use but used by other governments as well.

That's exactly how Moroccan customs treated the 4457 when I arrived there with a shotgun (and a bunch of other baggage--2 year tour in the embassy) umpteen years ago. All they wanted was something official with a number on it. They asked for my permit, so I tried the customs form since we don't have long gun permits in the States. It worked.

And while the 4457 may be a permanent document, you'll need a new one if you take a different gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry, I think you can add guns to an existing 4457, though I haven't actually tried this. I just get another.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent, I don't think I ever went to Scotland twice with the same shotgun. But my suspicion would be that you can't add to a customs form. If you could, then couldn't you simply purchase a shotgun overseas, add it to your customs form, and bring it back with you--thus escaping both customs duty as well as the costs of importing it?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Point of the form is to show that a customs officer has seen and signed off on you having an item prior to leaving the country. So not subject to duty due coming home...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry, he may initial a new entry or some other thing, I don't recall. But if you think about it, what's to prevent you from adding one anyway? Only the copy that is on record somewhere = which they never check at the airport.

It is not a very secure way of doing things, but it stops the casual tourist from "importing without taxation. When I was a kid, I think lots of people would go to Europe and buy cameras and so forth because there were no import taxes or fees on them. It was cheaper to buy a plane ticket to Germany, buy a new Nikon and a few lenses and come home with it than to buy it locally.

Camera gear ceased to be a big deal eventually. Perhaps because the import duties were eliminated (coming back strong now though).

_________

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.