May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (prairie ghost, bushveld, 1 invisible), 851 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,400
Members14,412
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
I would likely steer a newb off of a SXS, and onto something more like this:

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f...un_id=101123779

Been there a while. Id expect it would go out the door for less. Always good to get new folk in the game, and they usually shoot well with an O/U.

Best,
Ted

Ted, I can't imagine any reason to do that. I can imagine 5 or 6 good reasons not to.

A good reason being, like, what, all the competitors in clay games shooting SXS guns? All the new SXS guns being built? Lets hear all these good reasons you have.

Most people who use a SXS are experts, or, close, not newbs. Nothing breeds success like success, and an O/U is easier to shoot well than a SXS.

If she comes around to a SXS, good for her, if she doesnt, she has an O/U.

Best,
Ted

ed good #527673 11/03/18 05:02 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good
it has been my experience that richland arms imported decent inexpensive spanish made hunting guns...keep in mind, that inexpensive hunting guns are made to be carried a lot and shot a little...like maybe a box or two of shells a year...

biggest complaint against spanish guns has been soft sears, which can be rehardened when needed...

spanish guns are good values for the money...however, like other hunting grade guns, demand is decreasing, as is value...

Ed,
Congrats on your firm, unwavering grasp of the obvious. The Spanish make some decent guns. And the pictured Richland gun is, in fact, Italian.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
I would likely steer a newb off of a SXS, and onto something more like this:

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f...un_id=101123779

Been there a while. Id expect it would go out the door for less. Always good to get new folk in the game, and they usually shoot well with an O/U.

Best,
Ted

Ted, I can't imagine any reason to do that. I can imagine 5 or 6 good reasons not to.

A good reason being, like, what, all the competitors in clay games shooting SXS guns? All the new SXS guns being built? Lets hear all these good reasons you have.

Most people who use a SXS are experts, or, close, not newbs. Nothing breeds success like success, and an O/U is easier to shoot well than a SXS.

If she comes around to a SXS, good for her, if she doesnt she has an O/U.

Best,
Ted

Well, #1. She wants a side by side. You may be good at selling stationwagons to women that want sports cars, but you would do better selling them sports cars if that's what they want.
#2. She has hunted pheasants for a year with a borrowed side by side. She knows of what she speaks.
3. She doesn't give a rat's ass about what competitive shooters shoot. She isn't even competing.
4. What is being made today has little to do with what is available on the market.
5. What you suggest is over her price range by quite a bit more than they are going to take for that particular gun
6. I hardly know the person and will probably never see her again. I'm just passing info and opportunity to someone looking for them. I am not her personal shooting coach or anybody she should trust in that regard.
7. I don't know a single "expert" that shoots side-bys. Not even one. I'm not an expert. I don't think you are an expert on side-bys either, unless, perhaps they happen to be Darnes and she cannot afford to think about Darnes.

I could go on, but in a nutshell, the worst thing to do to someone with some interest is to tell them to not do what they want to do, rather than help them find ways to accomplish it.

Sell that stationwagon to someone else.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

The gun in the original post appears to be a Huglu.

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=278896

Oops... I overlooked Drew's link. Sorry...

I would opine that zero dollars invested is exactly the right price.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

ted: low end italian is generally better than low end spanish...

never heard of an italian made gun having soft sears...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

I mail-ordered one of those Italian made Richland Arms guns back in 1968, just prior to the 68 ban on mail order. In fact last new post-1898 gun I bought which didn't have to have a form 4477 filled out. My Son has it now. It's not really ben shot all that much, but the only problem I ever had was a too soft recoil pad. Pad was so soft it was like holding it just off your shoulder to shoot, giving it Jumping room to pound you.

The first two or three shotguns I ever shot were singles with outside hammers. The first one I actually owned was a SxS hammerless. I was a "Newbie" & Yes that gun Spoiled me. I still, 64 years later, prefer a SxS over any other style of shotgun. If the girl Wants a SxS, by all means, Start Her Right.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

"Nope, that gruesome soliloquy didn't help. I'll try a beer next...."

That's a bummer. When I lose out on a gun and I get a little heart broken, the old lady always tells me it's "gun fate". Never know what will fall in your lap next.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: fallschirmjaeger
"Nope, that gruesome soliloquy didn't help. I'll try a beer next...."

That's a bummer. When I lose out on a gun and I get a little heart broken, the old lady always tells me it's "gun fate". Never know what will fall in your lap next.

Well I drowned my sorrows in a Steven's Model 35 instead.

I'll remember that gun-fate thing. She might be on to something.

What the hell.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

2-piper #527709 11/04/18 12:50 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
I mail-ordered one of those Italian made Richland Arms guns back in 1968, just prior to the 68 ban on mail order. In fact last new post-1898 gun I bought which didn't have to have a form 4477 filled out. My Son has it now. It's not really ben shot all that much, but the only problem I ever had was a too soft recoil pad. Pad was so soft it was like holding it just off your shoulder to shoot, giving it Jumping room to pound you..

Miller,
I have noticed a few of the 707 Richland guns with red pads, and a few like mine with black pads. I cant complain about recoil with miine, but, the pad is 50 years old, and may not be as pliable as when it was new. Mine still has luscious white line spacers, which, many of the used guns seem to have lost over the years. Mine is also just over 6 1/2 lbs.
It is not a light 20 in any case. I have not fired any 3 loads in my gun.
If the quality of your example is anything like mine, you got a hell of a buy in 1968. The checkering, engraving, and case colors are first rate on mine. There is very little out there to compare to it, today. Mine is cast neutral, and I find the gun well balanced, and excellent handling. If one can tolerate a beaver tail, and an open pistol grip, it is a superb game gun. I actually prefer a slim beaver tail on a 20, it gives my hand someplace to go.
I consider it a better than average machine made gun. The Spanish examples from the same era that I have seen are rough as hell, and nothing to aspire to. Still, a regular at my local Ruffed Grouse Society fun shoots has one that was sold new with two sets of barrels, the longer of the two sets was MIA when he bought it, and he has used the gun for thirty or so seasons, with no trouble at all. He shoots a mean round of skeet with it.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is that gun good for steel shot ?

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.