March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Jimmy W, ksauers1, mel5141, fallschirmjaeger, 2 invisible), 809 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

That low level of quality was surely not produced in Germany...

Brent did you end up purchasing that Belgian?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

jOey, your money is no good with me. Your $150 of play money wouldn't by a single worn out sock.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: fallschirmjaeger
That low level of quality was surely not produced in Germany...

Apparently, it may not be quite so bad as you think. It needed some work but he has is actually quite pleased with it now. Keeping in mind that he has $0 invested in it.

Quote:
Brent did you end up purchasing that Belgian?

Ah, actually....... NO. And that is a very sore point for me. So, by way of trying to achieve some level of cathartic relief, I'll not spare you the long story as I continue to rue putting it back on the rack and walking away.

The gun was at the Omaha Cabelas. Cabelas is truly tanking as someone here noted. I was, in the course of my trip to Wyoming for a legendary mule deer buck, in both the Sydney and the Omaha stores, and it is grim. Very grim.

Anyway, I hunted with a friend who is a prof at UNL in Lincoln. On Wednesday of last week, we returned to his place where an undergrad had been baby sitting his dogs. We bought her dinner swapped stories. She turned out to be quite enthusiastic about hunting, having borrowed a double barrel from Mark the previous year to hunt pheasants. So, she wants her own to hunt pheasants in Nebraska and grouse in Minnesota with her boyfriend. I told her to head on up to Puglisi's although that would not solve her problem as I have seen nothing there that she could afford, but it is a somewhat enchanting place to visit nonetheless. I also decided that was enough of an excuse to stop at the Omaha Cabelas the next morning in hopes of finding a steal that I could report back to Mark and he could send her after.

Well, the only gun in the store, new or old, that was worth a damn was that Warnier. At first, it sort of looked like a clunker. I put it back on the rack. But finding nothing else, I picked it up again. It felt kind of good. It had at least 1/2" of cast off, and it was relatively light (6lb 7oz) and almost perfectly balanced). The more I played with it, the more I realized that it felt a lot better than kind of good.

The wood, at first, looked like crap, but that was a combination of abominable lighting and old finish and just being in need of a strong cleaning. The checkering I noticed was in really good shape and then I realized that boarder of the checkering was really quite special and unique, and the wood was actually spectacular under the sludge.

Someone had fitted a red rubber pad to it, and done a good job as far as they went, but they stopped at the fitting to the wood and had not rounded the edges or even ground down the screw plugs that were at least an 1/8" proud of the pad. So it looked pretty stupid at first glance, but anyone could fix that in a few minutes. Furthermore, there wasn't a single crack, chip, significant scratch, or dent anywhere in the wood. The wood could clearly be restored to perfect condition to really show off that stock.

As for the metal, there were some stains and smudging and maybe even a light has of corrosion on the right lock plate. Indeed, the side lock plates (which I suspect were really false sidelocks) could also be easily returned to perfect condition without risk to the engraving. And a look at the barrels showed the same thing - just well worn bluing but easily polished in hour or so and reblued to perfection.

In short, this gun could be restored to mint condition without any problem. Even I could do all of it, and I like doing that sort of thing. It was a no brainer, but my brain was, apparently, still back in the truck in the parking lot.

Well, I reported back to Mark although I knew the price was a little out of the gal's price range. Maybe she would do it anyway. She didn't, and she was also a bit leery of the double triggers, having never shot double triggers before. But Mark thought it sounded really good and maybe he needed it, so he drove out on early Saturday morning to Iowa for the pheasant opener, which was great, and then after hunting on Sunday morning he drove back to Nebraska stopping Omaha with the idea that HE would buy the gun for himself - he was smarter than me, but, it turns out, he was also too late. Someone with both a brain and a sense of timing figured it out and bought it between the Thursday morning that I saw it and noon on Sunday. Oh well. I'll regret that one for a long, long time to come.

Perhaps someone here bought it. I hope so. More power to ya.

Nope, that gruesome soliloquy didn't help. I'll try a beer next....

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

A good place for her to start her search would be to look at Mark Beasland's inventory on Guns International. I expect he could come up with something for her that won't break the bank. And he stands behind the guns he sells.

Just based on what little you've told us about the potential buyer and what she wants to do with the gun (sxs, preferably SST, pheasants in NE and grouse in MN), I'd make the specific suggestion of an Ithaca SKB Model 100, 12ga with 26" barrels (chokes would be IC/M).

Last edited by L. Brown; 11/03/18 07:49 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would likely steer a newb off of a SXS, and onto something more like this:

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f...un_id=101123779

Been there a while. I’d expect it would go out the door for less. Always good to get new folk in the game, and they usually shoot well with an O/U.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

After further deliberation I've reduced my evaluation.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've been given a few guns in my life. This one was new in the box:

A fellow on a board commented they might be worth more money if they didn't say "Richland Arms" on them, and he might be right. Anyway, it was new, in the box, and the good friend who bought it new and saw to it that it ended up with me has passed on to greener fields.

He was a hell of a guy. The Japanese didn't get the chance to train their 18" guns on many ships, but, they got a bead on his, the USS Gambier Bay, and blew it out from under his ass. He survived without a scratch.

Nobody has offered me a free G. Granger as of yet.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've got a Richland 20 ga. I like it.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
I would likely steer a newb off of a SXS, and onto something more like this:

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f...un_id=101123779

Been there a while. I’d expect it would go out the door for less. Always good to get new folk in the game, and they usually shoot well with an O/U.

Best,
Ted

Ted, I can't imagine any reason to do that. I can imagine 5 or 6 good reasons not to.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

it has been my experience that richland arms imported decent inexpensive spanish made hunting guns...keep in mind, that inexpensive hunting guns are made to be carried a lot and shot a little...like maybe a box or two of shells a year...

biggest complaint against spanish guns has been soft sears, which can be rehardened when needed...

spanish guns are good values for the money...however, like other hunting grade guns, demand is decreasing, as is value...

Last edited by ed good; 11/03/18 03:30 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.