May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (WBLDon, Jusanothajoe, 2 invisible), 215 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,570
Posts546,441
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I just looked up the MSDS sheet on 3in1. It no longer seems to have a vegetable oil component unless that's the unspecified ingredient at less than 3 percent. It isn't bad stuff for some purposes but I don't clean guns with it like my grandfather did.

Last edited by Hammergun; 11/07/18 08:14 AM.
2-piper Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I can only say this old Lufkin micrometer has had nothing on or in it for the last 20+ years except 3-in-one & it "IS NOT GUMMED". It runs just as free & smooth as the Slocomb which for the same period has had nothing but Starrett Tool & Instrument oil. I do not recall the color of the can I used 20 years ago, but don't recall a picture of a V-8 engine, was just standard multi-purpose oil. The can I am using on it now has a black top with a narrow red band below it, then white & again a narrow black band at the bottom. On the front is a picture of a house with the words multi-purpose OIL inside. below that, it says Lubricates, Cleans & Prevents Rust (CLP). On one side is pictured what appears to be a saw blade, a wrench on a nut, a pair of shears, a sewing machine, a bicycle & a hinge.

Other than this one micrometer I actually no longer use it, but not because it ever caused me any problem with anything I ever used it on. For the most part now anything calling for a lightweight oil I use Mobil 1 0W20 engine oil.

I think that one would find the "Drippings" from "ANY" petroleum distillate based oil on the rim of a can sitting near a lathe will pick up all manner of Gook from the surrounding air & Gum up. I don't know yet if the synthetics will or not, time will tell.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

2-piper,
I agree that all petroleum oils will gum up. The trick is not to use it to excess and clean it off when appropriate. The Machinist's Bedside Reader shows Hoppe's #9 as a solvent for cleaning the gunk off lathes-it should also work on guns. I used WD 40 for years, but use Ballistol more and more now.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have one also with the cork stopper !

Last edited by Stallones; 11/07/18 03:49 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I prefer another “old school” oil....Nyoil. I’ve used the super refined mineral oil for many years (red label), and now I exclusively use the blue label Nyoil 2 synthetic. When I do a strip and clean, that’s what goes on the guts & bits. The stuff is about as good as it gets when it comes to a light lubricant oil. I believe very refined, high quality mineral oils are just as good, if they’re changed out often enough, thing is...most people don’t.
I still use WD-40 to clean barrels and for polishing metal.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.