April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Gerry Addison, David Williamson, AGS, eightbore, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 467 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,465
Posts545,068
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#528868 11/16/18 10:49 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I did something yesterday I never imagined doing. The bank I'm a director of had a 'fun' meeting at a swanky local released bird "plantation" yesterday morning and a quail 'hunt' arranged for the afternoon.

Lately, I've begun to have balance problems leading to being a little tangle-footed walking in rough cover. I consider that to be a safety issue and advised I'd go along but wouldn't join in the shooting.

They insisted on providing me with a Polaris ride and driver so I could just get out and shoot the covey rises. I took the ride and thoroughly enjoyed the outing and watching the others shoot. However, I think my decision was sound and did not shoot. Well, that's not completely true; one Tennessee Red lit in an oak tree over the Polaris while the others were out on a round. I got off the wagon and shot him.

I'm only 70 and in pretty good physical condition considering both a stroke and open heart surgery, so I wonder if I made the right decision. I've hunted birds with older guys I didn't think were safe to be in the woods with anymore. Once a man makes that call, its not something that's easily reversed. I think I'm the only one who can make that call.

So what do you think?...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

George, sounds to me you are very conscientious. All of us age differently so the call can only be made by you. I have seen older men continue to hunt long after they had lost much of their cognitive ability. And they were dangerous to be around with a gun. Doesnt sound to me you are anywhere near that though. Just the fact you are asking the question indicates you still belong in the field. Im 77 and have been blessed with pretty darned good health but I know my limitations. If anything I think Ive become an even safer hunter, being far more concerned about proper gun handling than I ever was years ago. But the time will come.....

One of the most enjoyable aspects of growing older is I no longer have any desire to fill a bag with dead birds but primary emphasis has become the social aspect of the hunt. Im no longer competing with others for bragging rights.

Last edited by Joe Wood; 11/16/18 11:16 AM.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Oh I ain't quitting by any means. I just don't think I'm going to shoot with a group at kick-em-up quail anymore. Too often that turns into a Chinese fire drill!

No wild birds left anyhow, so I'll just take my personal frustrations out on the 'bird of peace'. I like shooting doves too much to quit till they make me...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am 77 and have a duck hunt planned next week, thank god for four wheelers!

bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

I hunt with plenty of older guys.

I'd say when your physical limitations take the fun out of it.

Changing HOW we do things is a necessary part of getting older.

So, if you were always safe, you'll probably always be safe.
But, if the way your friends do released birds creates unsafe shooting circumstances, then do't do that.

I don't do skirmish lines or "group" blasting.
If 2 guys want to walk up the covey, you take right, and I'll take left flying birds.

You can ease up to the point alone if you want. I'd just do the next one.

Otherwise, sit in the wagon and enjoy the day.

It didn't sound like you were the unsafe member. More the circumstances surrounding you.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

George, you'll know when it's time. Just as Joe and I will know when to quit flying. Complacency is more of a danger than physical prowess, believe me.

I'm really old, balance an issue. Upland here mostly solitary, man and preferably a dog. Waterfowling is guns cased to the blind in the company of buddies who know the drill. Invited meet muster.

Practise does wonders for balance, particularly on springy ground of branches after a woods operation, a stick in hand to assist confidence. Those quail, dove, prairie shoots down there look like Manhatten lawns to me.

Practise, practise. Attitude, attitude. With good buddies, it's still heaven.You're good for another 15 years.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
one Tennessee Red lit in an oak tree over the Polaris while the others were out on a round. I got off the wagon and shot him.

I don't think you should go out with a quail shot off a limb....

pod Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well I am 84 and just came in from pitting out buck lore and will be in my ground stand in an hour or so. I have a talk to myself and if find myself doing anything stupid then I will hang it up but so far so good. That said you will be just fine George you will know when it's time.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
one Tennessee Red lit in an oak tree over the Polaris while the others were out on a round. I got off the wagon and shot him.

I don't think you should go out with a quail shot off a limb....

jOe, that bird was in the air and all I can tell you was he did not have a foot on the ground. No ground sluicing! And I ain't 'going out'! I just ain't messing with group shooting kick-em-up quail anymore...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just ask your daughter.
They seem to have all the answers for this kind of thing.
Beware of them getting a bee in the bonnet about your drivers licence.
O.M

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.