April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jolly Bill, JDH, Ted Schefelbein, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 469 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,086
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting George's balance problem has not been addressed. You did mention a prior stroke. Are you a type II diabetic. Loss of sensation or numbness, tingling in the feet. Any medical conditions that impact balance or equilibrium. I would suggest a visit to a good ENT physician or local Physical Therapy clinic that specialies in balance disorders. Advancing age does have it's pitfalls but rule out all the easy stuff before you become a permanent fixture in the spectator section.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dr HojOe is liable to fix his balance after that comment in the for sale section.
(good one, Geo)

Have you considered golf, Geo?

Originally Posted By: oskar
My dad was in his 80's when the doctor said he shouldn't be shooting guns with oxygen on. He was still golfing...

Hope Im still golfing when Im in my 80s. Hell, I hope I make it to 80.

Sidelock
Sidelock

We need to walk and hunt the road going through my place. Also you can now drive your buggy back to our duck spot unless you would like to walk it. Trail is more open now. After all....someone has to tell us where the birds are going to land

pod Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I posted earlier that I was 84 and still at it and had gone out earlier in the day and put out some buck lore. AT 4:30 PM I shot a fine 9 pointer with a drop tine, field dressed it and the young ones where we live came out and brought it home for me.I still have a tag and will be hard at it again. never give up if the old brain is still in place.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
one Tennessee Red lit in an oak tree over the Polaris while the others were out on a round. I got off the wagon and shot him.

So what do you think?...Geo

I don't think you should go out with a quail shot off a limb....

jOe, that bird was in the air and all I can tell you was he did not have a foot on the ground. No ground sluicing! And I ain't 'going out'! I just ain't messing with group shooting kick-em-up quail anymore...Geo

You said he "lit"

Maybe you should check out that single shot rifle in the sale section.

Sidelock
Sidelock

How much walking do you do, Geo.? While the suggestion given prairie ghost may also have some application, I cannot imagine that slowly increased amounts of walking, eventually in uneven ground, and even in some ground cover, wouldn't help some.

My Grandad had a stroke in his mid 70s, leaving him with limited usefulness on one side. He was a very determined man and exercised and walked until he got back so much of his lost function that you couldn't tell it had ever happened.

All cases are different, but walking a lot is great for many aspects of our health and well being. Walking a mile around fields on the uneven end rows, etc. carrying a gun might even better in your case than walking 4 miles of sidewalks.

Best wishes, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think around other folks that may have some unpredictability issues, you do what your best sense tells you to do.

I'd take Stan's thought a bit further. With your doc's okay, I'd consider joining a gym with a good trainer. They might take a look at how you walk and move, and figure out which muscle groups to strengthen, coordinate and condition. Only a thought.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like Stan's analogy. What I do to keep bird hunting fit is to bicycle a lot in the summer, sometimes as much as 1000 miles and just to stay as active as I can comfortably. At 71 it has worked so far. I also try to listen to my body and be aware of my limitations.
I imagine myself hitting the ground like a well used shot shell someday, doing what I love to do.
Karl

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm a walker. Never got in to running that much, but I walked to school and back as a child and still walk a mile or two 3 or 4 times a week.

I can walk fine in the woods where I can see my feet, but the released quail hunt I mentioned last Thursday was pretty grown up cover and this was the first time this year it had been hunted. I didn't shoot because I didn't feel safe.

I completely agree that exercise is an absolute necessity for continued mobility and quality of life as we grow older. I'm going to work on the balance aspect, but I've reached the point where if my better judgement says don't, I won't...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

My father is 96. Walks 1.5 miles every day except if the weather is good and he ups it to 2.5 miles. Does three .5 mile walks or two 1.0 mile walks with a .5 mile walk at mid day. This after having a minor stroke at 92. He worked to get full recovery, his stroke was limited but he did the PT like he was splitting firewood.

His diet is a cardiologist night mare. If you can fry it he will eat it. When I visit him I cant eat what he does. But like most men who grew up in the Depression, hard work, long hours or physical activity is all he knew when growing up. He never lost the ability or willingness to just do it. Still cuts his lawn and his neighbors lawn. Needs the xtra spending money. I cut his allowance last year. He was spending too much on his girlfriend.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.