April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (NCTarheel, Jimmy W, Jeremy Pearce, canvasback, 2 invisible), 1,048 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,126
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#528868 11/16/18 10:49 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I did something yesterday I never imagined doing. The bank I'm a director of had a 'fun' meeting at a swanky local released bird "plantation" yesterday morning and a quail 'hunt' arranged for the afternoon.

Lately, I've begun to have balance problems leading to being a little tangle-footed walking in rough cover. I consider that to be a safety issue and advised I'd go along but wouldn't join in the shooting.

They insisted on providing me with a Polaris ride and driver so I could just get out and shoot the covey rises. I took the ride and thoroughly enjoyed the outing and watching the others shoot. However, I think my decision was sound and did not shoot. Well, that's not completely true; one Tennessee Red lit in an oak tree over the Polaris while the others were out on a round. I got off the wagon and shot him.

I'm only 70 and in pretty good physical condition considering both a stroke and open heart surgery, so I wonder if I made the right decision. I've hunted birds with older guys I didn't think were safe to be in the woods with anymore. Once a man makes that call, its not something that's easily reversed. I think I'm the only one who can make that call.

So what do you think?...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

George, sounds to me you are very conscientious. All of us age differently so the call can only be made by you. I have seen older men continue to hunt long after they had lost much of their cognitive ability. And they were dangerous to be around with a gun. Doesnt sound to me you are anywhere near that though. Just the fact you are asking the question indicates you still belong in the field. Im 77 and have been blessed with pretty darned good health but I know my limitations. If anything I think Ive become an even safer hunter, being far more concerned about proper gun handling than I ever was years ago. But the time will come.....

One of the most enjoyable aspects of growing older is I no longer have any desire to fill a bag with dead birds but primary emphasis has become the social aspect of the hunt. Im no longer competing with others for bragging rights.

Last edited by Joe Wood; 11/16/18 11:16 AM.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Oh I ain't quitting by any means. I just don't think I'm going to shoot with a group at kick-em-up quail anymore. Too often that turns into a Chinese fire drill!

No wild birds left anyhow, so I'll just take my personal frustrations out on the 'bird of peace'. I like shooting doves too much to quit till they make me...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am 77 and have a duck hunt planned next week, thank god for four wheelers!

bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

I hunt with plenty of older guys.

I'd say when your physical limitations take the fun out of it.

Changing HOW we do things is a necessary part of getting older.

So, if you were always safe, you'll probably always be safe.
But, if the way your friends do released birds creates unsafe shooting circumstances, then do't do that.

I don't do skirmish lines or "group" blasting.
If 2 guys want to walk up the covey, you take right, and I'll take left flying birds.

You can ease up to the point alone if you want. I'd just do the next one.

Otherwise, sit in the wagon and enjoy the day.

It didn't sound like you were the unsafe member. More the circumstances surrounding you.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

George, you'll know when it's time. Just as Joe and I will know when to quit flying. Complacency is more of a danger than physical prowess, believe me.

I'm really old, balance an issue. Upland here mostly solitary, man and preferably a dog. Waterfowling is guns cased to the blind in the company of buddies who know the drill. Invited meet muster.

Practise does wonders for balance, particularly on springy ground of branches after a woods operation, a stick in hand to assist confidence. Those quail, dove, prairie shoots down there look like Manhatten lawns to me.

Practise, practise. Attitude, attitude. With good buddies, it's still heaven.You're good for another 15 years.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
one Tennessee Red lit in an oak tree over the Polaris while the others were out on a round. I got off the wagon and shot him.

I don't think you should go out with a quail shot off a limb....

pod Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well I am 84 and just came in from pitting out buck lore and will be in my ground stand in an hour or so. I have a talk to myself and if find myself doing anything stupid then I will hang it up but so far so good. That said you will be just fine George you will know when it's time.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
one Tennessee Red lit in an oak tree over the Polaris while the others were out on a round. I got off the wagon and shot him.

jOe, that bird was in the air and all I can tell you was he did not have a foot on the ground. No ground sluicing! And I ain't 'going out'! I just ain't messing with group shooting kick-em-up quail anymore...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just ask your daughter.
They seem to have all the answers for this kind of thing.
Beware of them getting a bee in the bonnet about your drivers licence.
O.M

Sidelock
Sidelock

70 is too young to give it up. My great grandfather was still having kids at that age with his second wife. She was 35 years his junior. They kids did age him though. He died at 109. I was told he still went duck hunting up into his 80's.

It is all about how well you get around and how you feel about hunting. I took my father dove hunting for the last time at 90. Now six years later he has no interest in hunting at all. Still fairly mobile I would gladly take him again if he changes his mind. Age is a number it is all about how you feel and what level of activity you can handle.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have shot clays and hunted with men 70+ and had no worries and also been at clay shoots with much younger and older people that I wouldn't want to be around again. If you follow safe practices and don't worry about your score on either game or clays you will be fine.

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
Sidelock
Sidelock

Geo,
Hopefully, you have some opportunities to hunt that dont involve running with the youngsters. It is common on pheasant and deer hunts in this part of the world for the oldsters to block the ends of driven fields, taking what comes out before the people pushing it. This give guys an opportunity to avoid being dedicated camp cook for a few more years, if nothing else.
I would tell you bravo on having a clear mental picture on what you are, and are not up to at the moment. Perhaps you will see some improvement that allows more participation, but, participating in some is better than none.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I am 70 and was out in my canoe and on shore for a duck hunt this morning.

BUT I am extremely careful and not near as agile as I once was.

You are wise to protect yourself and others in proper decorum.

I find that I am hunting in smaller and smaller parties of folks and am now down to me and at most two others, in that way we can insure safety of all

Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

A few years ago, on a cold snowy afternoon in January, during our late flintlock deer season, I happened upon an interesting scene. I was still hunting and came to the edge of the woods where a small overgrown field dropped down toward a small wooded creek bottom. Out in the field, overlooking the creek bottom was an old man in a folding lawn chair. He had hunting clothes on, and was cradling his rifle. An old wool Army blanket was partially wrapped around him. I'd say he had to be in his mid 80's or older, and he seemed to be napping. Four wheeler tracks in the snow showed that he was transported there, and left to his hunting. I'm quite sure no one forced him to be out there, but given the opportunity, he made the effort to get dressed and go and sit for hours in the cold, snow, and wind. I assume his son was probably not far away, and would come to do any gutting or dragging if the old guy happened to shoot a deer.

He never knew I was there, and I slipped back into the woods, changed direction and circled toward the other side of the hollow, hoping I might push a bedded deer toward him. I thought it was really cool that he still wanted to be out there, and if I could choose the time and place where I am when my life comes to an end, it would be doing just as that old guy was doing.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

1 member likes this: 67galaxie
Sidelock
Sidelock

jOe, that bird was in the air and all I can tell you was he did not have a foot on the ground. No ground sluicing! And I ain't 'going out'! I just ain't messing with group shooting kick-em-up quail anymore...Geo

You said he "lit"

Sidelock
Sidelock

Keith,
Thanks for sharing that great story. It's nice to imagine doing what we love when our expiration date comes. I hate to think of giving it up when the time comes due to age, but we have to know our limitations. I want to make the right choice if that happens.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

A friend of mine killed his nice buck for the year, last week. He is 93.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My dad was in his 80's when the doctor said he shouldn't be shooting guns with oxygen on. He was still golfing, he just got a longer tube for his oxygen when he had to keep it on to hit the ball.

I'm 72 and am looking at getting a motorcycle for back country coyote hunting as I don't spend enough time on the bicycle to ride it very far on back country trails anymore.

Like I say retirement is great, the only draw back is you have to be old to do it. I did take a number of years out in mid-life and spent them hunting, fishing and trapping. When fur prices dropped I went back to work to make a grubstake for retirement. I've been retired 10 yrs and love every minute of it, just wish I had the body I had 30 years ago.

I'm pretty sure I'll know when it is time to hang it up.

Last edited by oskar; 11/16/18 08:47 PM.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The guy I inherited my blind from shot ducks there on his 93rd birthday.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting George's balance problem has not been addressed. You did mention a prior stroke. Are you a type II diabetic. Loss of sensation or numbness, tingling in the feet. Any medical conditions that impact balance or equilibrium. I would suggest a visit to a good ENT physician or local Physical Therapy clinic that specialies in balance disorders. Advancing age does have it's pitfalls but rule out all the easy stuff before you become a permanent fixture in the spectator section.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dr HojOe is liable to fix his balance after that comment in the for sale section.
(good one, Geo)

Have you considered golf, Geo?

Originally Posted By: oskar
My dad was in his 80's when the doctor said he shouldn't be shooting guns with oxygen on. He was still golfing...

Hope Im still golfing when Im in my 80s. Hell, I hope I make it to 80.

Sidelock
Sidelock

We need to walk and hunt the road going through my place. Also you can now drive your buggy back to our duck spot unless you would like to walk it. Trail is more open now. After all....someone has to tell us where the birds are going to land

pod Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I posted earlier that I was 84 and still at it and had gone out earlier in the day and put out some buck lore. AT 4:30 PM I shot a fine 9 pointer with a drop tine, field dressed it and the young ones where we live came out and brought it home for me.I still have a tag and will be hard at it again. never give up if the old brain is still in place.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You said he "lit"

Maybe you should check out that single shot rifle in the sale section.

Sidelock
Sidelock

How much walking do you do, Geo.? While the suggestion given prairie ghost may also have some application, I cannot imagine that slowly increased amounts of walking, eventually in uneven ground, and even in some ground cover, wouldn't help some.

My Grandad had a stroke in his mid 70s, leaving him with limited usefulness on one side. He was a very determined man and exercised and walked until he got back so much of his lost function that you couldn't tell it had ever happened.

All cases are different, but walking a lot is great for many aspects of our health and well being. Walking a mile around fields on the uneven end rows, etc. carrying a gun might even better in your case than walking 4 miles of sidewalks.

Best wishes, SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think around other folks that may have some unpredictability issues, you do what your best sense tells you to do.

I'd take Stan's thought a bit further. With your doc's okay, I'd consider joining a gym with a good trainer. They might take a look at how you walk and move, and figure out which muscle groups to strengthen, coordinate and condition. Only a thought.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like Stan's analogy. What I do to keep bird hunting fit is to bicycle a lot in the summer, sometimes as much as 1000 miles and just to stay as active as I can comfortably. At 71 it has worked so far. I also try to listen to my body and be aware of my limitations.
I imagine myself hitting the ground like a well used shot shell someday, doing what I love to do.
Karl

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm a walker. Never got in to running that much, but I walked to school and back as a child and still walk a mile or two 3 or 4 times a week.

I can walk fine in the woods where I can see my feet, but the released quail hunt I mentioned last Thursday was pretty grown up cover and this was the first time this year it had been hunted. I didn't shoot because I didn't feel safe.

I completely agree that exercise is an absolute necessity for continued mobility and quality of life as we grow older. I'm going to work on the balance aspect, but I've reached the point where if my better judgement says don't, I won't...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

My father is 96. Walks 1.5 miles every day except if the weather is good and he ups it to 2.5 miles. Does three .5 mile walks or two 1.0 mile walks with a .5 mile walk at mid day. This after having a minor stroke at 92. He worked to get full recovery, his stroke was limited but he did the PT like he was splitting firewood.

His diet is a cardiologist night mare. If you can fry it he will eat it. When I visit him I cant eat what he does. But like most men who grew up in the Depression, hard work, long hours or physical activity is all he knew when growing up. He never lost the ability or willingness to just do it. Still cuts his lawn and his neighbors lawn. Needs the xtra spending money. I cut his allowance last year. He was spending too much on his girlfriend.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thats funny about Dad, Ky Jon DDS. Sounds like hes quite a man. In terms of when to hang it up, I just turned 60 and this year I had a bit more trouble maneuvering through the Grouse woods than times past. Im not ready to hang it up, but Im finding trails are all the more enticing. I always hunted some trails, but not as much as humping the bush. I guess this is writings on the wall, but .....just keep going, stay active, exercise.....the only fountain of youth we really have.

Socialism is almost the worst.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd hang it up at any age on this hunting:
http://16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21664

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for sharing the 16ga Wyoming Chukar
link.
At 71, I can admit my mountain hunting days are in the past, but prairie long walks for Sharptails and Huns are still on the menu.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not much on that "lit" business. I won't be when I'm 93 either. End of story.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Spoken like a true paragon of poultry shooting virtue...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

No problem, just hunt with those who need getting shot.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: lonesome roads
Dr HojOe is liable to fix his balance after that comment in the for sale section.
(good one, Geo)

Have you considered golf, Geo?

Originally Posted By: oskar
My dad was in his 80's when the doctor said he shouldn't be shooting guns with oxygen on. He was still golfing...

Hope Im still golfing when Im in my 80s. Hell, I hope I make it to 80.

Old Harold the Chinese guy at the range (RIP) was shooting a nice 20g M21 on the skeet fields with his O2 backpack for the last year. He would shoot and stumble back a step or so. Anyone that shot with him would stand behind him and steady him. I once told him not to worry, I'd catch that beautiful 21 before it hit the ground. He replied, and I quote: "Thanks a lot!". grin Everone helped him, near the last part of his shooting days, we carried a chair around the skeet field for him.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm there, Chuck. Still afield. Kindness fills my limit.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: King Brown
I'm there, Chuck. Still afield. Kindness fills my limit.

Hang in there ol bud. I'm sorry I didn't make it up to see you those many years ago.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kindness fills my limit.

Sounds to me like your dog does, picking up as many crips as he does. Do you actually get to shoot?

Take care, SRH

Last edited by Stan; 11/24/18 10:16 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well if I did have a problem, Kawasaki solved it.
O.M

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, I hunt nearly every day ice permits lakes and ponds, after that open and moving salt water, blinds on fresh and salt water at each end of our property. Many days don't shoot, enjoy the company and watching my Lab pick up for my buddies.

I hunted without a dog with buddies who had dogs or boats when my last Lab died several years ago. At my age, I couldn't train another and see it through. My mostly retired kids said I couldn't live without a dog, and James was pushing the arse off me to get smart and start living.

I lucked into four-year-old MH Lab last year, out of Iowa. My life is back. Independent, free to pick up gun, dog and bag of decoys and out the door. Every hunt takes me back 75 years although I seem to take more notice of the sights and smells; every day is a premium.

But to your point: the kindness, sometimes a tenderness, comes from younger buddies I've hunted with all these years. You may not have reached that point, judging from your photos and company, but if you haven't you've many pleasurable years ahead---dog or not.

Sidelock
Sidelock

How sweet the pungent oder of horse hockey fills the air...

Sidelock
Sidelock

jOe, dont mention hockey. builder will flip out.

King, you write like a prepubescent girl. Have you considered a sex change?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Any kind of a change would be an improvement!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Any kind of a change would be an improvement!

You could try changing your negative views about our 2nd Amendment and our NRA. That would be an improvement, but such an abrupt change could cause withdrawal symptoms in you.

There is a steady rain and falling temperature today for our first day of deer season. Once again, my hunting umbrella that screws into a tree is proving to be one of the best things I ever bought. I've only seen a couple does so far, but there is lots of time and I always regretted filling my tag early after waiting all year for this.

It's funny how the alarm clock going off at 4:30 am is such a welcome sound when it comes to going hunting. I hate to even think that there may come a time when I can no longer do this.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Last edited by Tom Findrick; 05/15/21 08:45 PM. Reason: Add

“When faith is lost, when honor dies, the man is dead” - John Greenleaf Whittier
Sidelock
Sidelock

George:

I am half past 67. I am actually better health now than a number of years ago. Most folks say I do not look that age. Here is how I have come around. I started lifting hand weights about a year ago. When I first started in could barely do it 10 times a side. Now 90-100 times each side. I do this 5-6 days a week. Working various muscles. I now walk with my wife 1 1/2 -2 miles 5-6 days a week. Also floor exercises. Not heavy stuff, more toward lifting legs, back and stomach muscles.

George. I read in a health magazine that is is common as we age is a loss of balance, which accounts for more broken hips and other various bones due to falls. I was doing exercises to help my balance, but dropped the ball on this one. I was noticing a difference. I need to restart this again. These are very simple and easy stuff. My biggest problem was procrastination.

Now you have my input. Stay well all

John Boyd

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm still trying to answer the original question. I don't need to be sold on the joys of being outdoors; I just got back from a five day fishing trip to the Everglades snook fishing. I still love it but getting in and out of my own boat has become a challenge.

John, my exercise routine is quite similar to yours (when I do it) and it works but has not solved my balance and strength problem. I can do it for six weeks and get ready for a trip, but I'm a little sorry about it if I have nothing to look forward to. I've stopped accepting kick'em up quail invitations for safety sake. However I still love dove and duck hunting, I killed a buck this Fall and a gobbler this Spring. I'll quit it all when my body makes me. Meantime it will be a safety issue for me.
Best to all...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

After my drowning late last summer I recovered very quickly. I pushed myself to get back the weight I lost (20 lbs.) while laid up in the hospital, and my strength back. By sometime during the holiday season I felt I was fully recovered. At a checkup with my GP during the late winter months he asked what was up with my blood pressure. It had risen to the 160s over the low 90s. He said he wasn't going to tolerate that and then asked if I was still exercising. I replied that I didn't resume after my recovery from my accident. My "exercising" consisted of jumping rope in the style that fighters do in training, jumping twice for each revolution of the rope (jumping the rope 100 times means you jump 200 times). He told me to get back to work with the rope and see him again in one month to see if I had to go on blood pressure meds. I started back in earnest the next day. I could only jump about 20 times when I started back. But, each day it increased and I would push myself to do as many as I could. Before too long I was doing as many as 150, twice a day (that's 300 jumps for each, or a total of 600 jumps that day). Monitoring my b p at home I found that it was dropping fairly rapidly. My lung capacity increased drastically which made me feel better all over. When I went back to see the dr. after one month of jumping rope the nurse checked my b p and wrote it down on the chart. When my doc came in to see me he looked at it and said that he had never seen anyone who hated to take meds any more than me. My b p was down to 132 over 83. He grinned and said for me to keep it up, and he would see me in 6 months.

Cardio exercise is amazing in what it can do for a person, even at my age of 69. Jumping rope gets you to that heart pounding pace quicker than anything I know of. Looks like I'm stuck with doing it from here on out, or go on meds. Some days I have to really make myself do it, but it's far better than the meds.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Age 60 - playing basketball in Romania smoothly with knowledge, jumping well.. problem with pulled muscles - average drive 280 yards
Age 65 - After Afghanistan. Right shoulder replaced. But doing personal rehab (5 mos) afterwards could take wallet out of left pocket and throw better than ever. Balance was excellent. Average drive 260
Age 70 - Africa - swimming a mile. No weights. excellent balance. 45 min 5xweek on alternatively elyptical, treadmill and erg/rowing machine. (all cardio - low impact - do not jog!!) Average drive 240
Age 75 - Africa - Arthritis in left shoulder - can't swim the crawl anymore - no weights. But still on the machines and doing a lot or walking with pack. Balance getting sketchy. Average drive 230
Age 77 - Today...on the way back to Africa. Walking 3 miles a day. No weights . Average drive 225. Like to support myself when getting dressed (re balance and neuropathy). Still can jump with surprising spring in the ankles...working at it.

Aging is not for the faint of heart. But if I couldn't shoot, jump, fight and run..(the old Special Forces Vietnam era "Maryann Barnes" song mentioned a variant - "Shoot, jump, fight, f**q")...I wouldn't be headed back to the Sahara.

http://itsligorfc.wikifoundry.com/page/Mary+Ann+Barnes
(And Note the internet is in error: this is exclusive...Mary Ann Barnes was never identified as "fat." That verse should be:
-- "She's a great big son of a Byatch,
-- twice as big as me,
-- Got hair on her @$$
-- like the branches on a tree

-- She can shoot, jump, fight, f**q
-- Fly a plane and drive a truck
-- She's the kind of girl who's goin to marry me
-- She's Special Forces Ranger Airborne Infantry
-- And Mike Force toooooo

But I think the key as Stan says is always cardio...get the pulse ups to 70% and keep it there for 30 minutes. (For your 100% take 220 and subtract your age...so at 77 my 100% should be 143 - 80% is 115., 70% is 101 - In walking at a fast pace I'm usually at 105...I regularly hit 140 on the machines when I jack up the incline....not sure that's good...).

And Stan..knees go..try the low impact cardio - especially the erg/rowing machine. (you know water...and I grew up rowing flat bottom punts in north Florida black-water lakes....never heard of the competition stuff..but you'd love it).

And stay the hell way from medicine. I got persuaded to take a Statin 6 years ago for high cholesterol (hereditary) and it gave me gout!!! Don't take squat other than aspirin unless you're force too.

Finally personal discipline is everything...you have to do this stuff... I was doing it 6 days a week, with one rest...then 3 x 3.. I'm down to 2 days on 1 day' off...not training for the olympics so be sensitive to how your body feels.

Last edited by Argo44; 05/19/21 09:27 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Argo is right on the money. Stay the hell away from the meds unless you have no-other choice. Diet and exercise is the only way to age with even a small margin of grace. Start by walking your dog regularly (What? You don't have a dog....get one! Great motivator and a purpose to keep moving.) Walking should then lead to other physical activities, like sit ups and leg lifts to tighten up your core muscles. Slow and steady is the ticket. Free weights can be added in after that for upper body strength. You might see a medico for blood work and recommendations on supplements and anti-inflammatories to help keep you moving. I do lutein for eyesight and Relief Factor (TM) for the inflammation. Testosterone replacement is useful as well, if done prudently. And...even if you can afford it, don't outsource your life. Mow your own grass, shop for your own food, cook your own meals (learn how!), and wash your own vehicle. Get outdoors every chance! Pick berries and make jam, plant a few flowers, fish in the warm months, and hunt in the cooler ones! Fill your life with people (family, church, car clubs, gun clubs, etc.) Watch the booze...a little is fun, a lot is usually trouble. Be proactive medically, don't let things drag along. If you can afford it, fix it! Make plans and execute them, don't sit around and feel sorry for yourself. Have a mission! And finally....be fun to be around, don't [censored] and criticize how things appear to be going in the world. You're an old fart now and nobody gives a shit about what you think.

There....I feel better already.

BTW: I'd like to hear your version of "Mary Ann Barnes" be sung by a bunch of hardasses....

Last edited by Lloyd3; 05/16/21 03:28 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I can't help but note how the life expectancy has increased during my lifetime. Modern medicine along with it's range of pharmaceuticals must have been some advantage over my granddaddy's time even though there seemed to be more fit old men back then...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am 80 and have slowed down a bit but still hunting some. Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm counting on that. Fix your damn teeth so your heart doesn't crap out. If a hip wears out or knee goes bad...replace it and keep moving. Stem cell repairs are commonplace now (I did my lower back 5 years ago now, it was life-altering). Eyesight sucks?, go get the lazer or the "crystal" lens replacement, can't hear? Go see the folks at Costco for their cheap but effective units you can tune from your smartphone. We all know about the significant downsides of tobacco (smoking and otherwise) and carrying excessive weight. There is no mystery about eating real food (and not the processed stuff). There are clearly some things you can't do a work-around on just yet, but... it's pretty remarkable when you consider what the options are that you now have if you do your home work. Even 20-years ago they mostly weren't around, but they are now. Get on with it.

Remember....living well is the best revenge!

Last edited by Lloyd3; 05/16/21 05:36 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

B&B

Bourbon and Burley.

Cornell & Diehl Dark (Kentucky) Burley in a cob, Jim Beam, up.

Can feel my blood pressure dropping.

Thank God for Kentucky.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Profound observations from a young Lowell George

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Such a great band. Thanks for reminding me of them Steve. Lowell went way too soon.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

For all of us who want to continue our outdoor pursuits well into our 70s, 80s and 90s, I highly recommend the "Younger Next Year" series of books by Chris Crowley. He's 87 and is still doing downhill skiing, rowing, long distance bicycling, etc. As some of you have already mentioned, functioning well into your older years is largely about diet and exercise. I found this series of books to be really entertaining and informative.

Nothing the government gives you is free.
Sidelock
Sidelock

These are the good old days. Don’t ever forget that.

The boy and I just completed 90 miles around Lake Pepin on elderly, if not antique bicycles (24” Raleigh rod braked Roadsters) so, I guess my fitness level is into the pink, if not exceeding it. Stiff muscles today, that hill between Bay City and Maiden Rock on Wisconsin 35 gets a little steeper every year, I think. I’m no longer waiting on the boy, he flew up that hill, flew through the whole course on a 1969 DL1 with 8” cranks and 28” wheels. I’m with the other old guys, floating into the rest stops for a break. I had a few Red Stripes on the ride, both days. 7 hours with no beer would be a dull ride. Yea, I drank water, too.

I know a few people in their 50s-60s that prattle on about how they want to live to be 100. Funny thing, I’ve never met someone in their 90s who wants to do that.

Careful what you wish for. Use the active years, wisely.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I know that hill very well, Ted. I'll be out there fishing walleyes pretty quick.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Didn’t see you riding up it last weekend, Dave.

Maybe next year?

https://3speedtour.com/

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein

Grand mal maybe?

I bet I outlive every one of you old women. And have 10x more fun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by lonesome roads

Grand mal maybe?

Talk is cheap.
Ride the hill.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't count on it, hotshot.

1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis

Don't count on it, hotshot.

Time will tell, revolutionary.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't go jumping off house boats...

Sidelock
Sidelock

A lot of guys have given you answers here, but you need the correct one. Here it is

Never

John Boyd

Last edited by arrieta2; 05/19/21 01:09 PM.

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
2 members like this: Stanton Hillis, Geo. Newbern
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by HomelessjOe

I’m good. Me mum taught me how to go down a slide when I was a little bitty baby.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Geo,
I logged on here this morning before I took the 3 grandkids (5, 3 1/2, & 2) for their weekly trip to the lake so your question was on my mind as they paddled and played in the sand and then ate a picnic lunch. Since I've already lived past my "three score and ten", I've dealt with your concerns and I keep coming back to the same answer as John's above. I'm not going to hang'em up. I'm going to make another adjustment and keep going.

I used to not even think about grabbing a 50lb kayak and carrying it down to the lake. Then the time came when I had to drag them up and down the beach. Finally, two years ago I bought one of those two wheel dolly's that slips over one end and you pick up the other and roll it down to the water. Grandma asked me today why I had three kids pushing on the boat as we pulled it back up the hill to the truck. I told her that I was getting ready for the day when they were going to have to launch it for me. That will be my final adjustment.

Then last weekend I told my son that we already have a pair of small earmuffs but I need him to buy a pair of child's safety glasses. The oldest just turned 5 and he can start going to the range with me. The BB rifle is ready and a couple of months ago I stumbled on (& bought) two boxes of 22 shorts for the old Stevens Crack Shot. After that I've got an extra short LOP Ithaca double in the safe for the next step.

When I finish posting this, I'm going to the bench to load some light load, low pressure, low speed 16's for my next trip to the range. Sure, they're for the 100+ year old wood on my doubles but they're equally for my cervical spine which responds to recoil by numbing my trigger finger hand. I've experimented with and settled on some low pressure loads that I can shoot 100 rounds of and not have any residual effects. I admit that I don't have much more room for adjustment in these loads but I'm going to keep adjusting as long as I can.

And when I can't shoot anymore or can't get on the water anymore, my happiness is still going to be full. You can see a pretty good reflection of why right here.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by FallCreekFan; 05/20/21 09:57 AM.

Speude Bradeos
2 members like this: Geo. Newbern, Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had the pleasure to introduce all five of my kids to hunting. Two are big time still, two go with me to humor me and be good company and the last has no interest anymore. Grandkids are still a couple years off and only then with mommy’s consent. I figure the eldest will gladly be my hunting partner for the next decade until he discovers girls or goes off to college. I hope to shoot another 20 years but will give it up whenever I can’t do it well enough to have fun. If grandkids are shooting then I’ll just go watch them and enjoy that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by arrieta2
A lot of guys have given you answers here, but you need the correct one. Here it is

Never

John Boyd

+1

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by HomelessjOe

I’m good. Me mum taught me how to go down a slide when I was a little bitty baby.

A 60 horse bike, and a 60 horse boat. Keep it under 80, brother.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is an easy way to know when it is time to stop hunting and shooting....

If you are a shooter and a gun owner, but feel compelled to vote for anti-gun Liberal Left Democrats., then it is well past time to hang it up. This foolproof test shows you are unable to connect the dots, and you are obviously too mentally unfit to handle firearms. In fact, you should probably stay away from sharp objects like pencils, and switch to crayons.

Unfortunately, there appears to be no cure for this affliction, and you will die stupid.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Shouldn’t you be training for your bear fight?

Coke Zero. Don’t care for Diet Pepsi.

Sidelock
Sidelock

No. On so many levels.

Best,
Ted

1 member likes this: 67galaxie
Sidelock
Sidelock

This thread started in 2018 regarding giving up hunting. There are likely very very few of us who have not been forced by events outside our control to give up some physical/recreational activity which we enjoyed, and likely was part of who we were. Some emotional/relational "traumatic amputations" are also pretty painful...and just don't heal.
And although diet and exercise matters, most of what determines our long (and good) health is our genetics...for which we have no say...and for which we shouldn't brag. But we can do our best to deal with what we get.
When my FGF was in his teens, he had something wrong in his gut, and went to the early days of the Mayo Clinic and was told he would be dead in 2 years. So he went to Central Baptist Seminary in KC Kansas, started waiting to die while giving his life to ministry, continued to have lots of problems (some of which was likely gluten sensitivity which no one knew about back then), and lived to 107.

There are many once young men who were at the 99th percentile who lost a lot, and spent time at Walter Reed, who are more of a man than I'll ever be. They had to decide, as each of us must, if we want to just live...or be alive.

MercyMe "Say I Won't"

1 member likes this: FallCreekFan
Sidelock
Sidelock

Goillini: Got that book you recommended. "Younger Next Year". A good read so-far.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by arrieta2

Never

John Boyd

ABSOLUTELY!

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't have time for reading books right now. I took down all the window shutters around my house, which required removing 180 screws. Had them repainted. Today I'm putting them back up, on an extension ladder, by myself again. Stopped for a few minutes to get something cold to drink, and cool off. Back to it in a few minutes.

Don't quit. You are never beaten until you give up. Scrap on!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Glad to hear it Lloyd. He’s an interesting guy and you can’t argue with his results. Now 87 years old and still skiing black diamond runs.

Last edited by Goillini; 05/30/21 08:02 PM.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I spent about 40 days this winter and spring working on a bird habitat project, clearing brush and trees. 4 hours a day, chain saw in hand the whole time, making sure the 20 yo helping me knew he wasn’t going to outwork me. I’m 62.

I retired from my career 5 years ago. After over 30 years I’d had enough of airports, hotels, restaurants and my partners. But it sure wasn’t time to sit around. I’ve been more physically active in the last 5 years than in the previous 30. Hard physical labour, skiing when Covid isn’t getting in the way, picking up tennis again after a 30 year hiatus. Recovery takes longer.....I’m not as strong as I was in my 20’s......clearly I’ve aged. But the way to stave off the years is to keep the body moving.

Also, hang out with people substantially younger! They don’t want to hear about your aches and pains......they want to go do something. Doesn’t matter if it’s kids, grandkids or friends. It helps keep the mind young.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This. Amen, Cvb.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by canvasback
Also, hang out with people substantially younger! They don’t want to hear about your aches and pains......they want to go do something. Doesn’t matter if it’s kids, grandkids or friends. It helps keep the mind young.

Hear, hear!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Agree 100% CB

tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hunt as long as its fun. For me its about the dogs. If I kill a bird its for them anyway. I was never into the kill a pile of birds and take the pics and flash them around. If I didn't have dogs I wouldn't hunt except perhaps sitting on a haybale and pass shooting doves. That doesn't count turkey hunting. I'll do that as long as the lord allows it. PS. I have a friend in his mid 70's who has Parkinson's. He should hang it up. Hard to walk and hard to shoot isn't a safe combination. However he has two excellent bird dogs and his wife does the handling and he does the shooting. All preserve birds at this point, but he lives to watch a pair of dogs work birds.

foxes rule
Sidelock
Sidelock

B&B

Bourbon and Burley.

Cornell & Diehl Dark (Kentucky) Burley in a cob, Jim Beam, up.

Can feel my blood pressure dropping.

Thank God for Kentucky.

thanks for posting that....i've had that song on my mind lately....buried my second wife on april 3rd...

"it's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards."
lewis carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Sidelock
Sidelock

- If one has an extensive collection of firearms, I think it is worthwhile to begin reducing the collection (via sales or gifts) after celebrating one's 65th birthday. Don't leave your spouse and/or friends with the responsibility of liquidating the armory. Keep the few that you regularly shoot.

Sidelock
Sidelock

At age 68, and upon my wife's request, I've begun liquidating what was a fairly large accumulation (not organized enough or focused in a fashion that would justify calling it a collection) of shotguns, rifles and handguns. None of my children have any interest and the grandchildren are too young and, given their parents' lack of interest, unlikely to have any interest. I'm hanging on to the ones I really like (mostly hammer shotguns and .22 rifles), a couple that were my father's and might end up with one of my brother's grandkids, my deer rifle and a spare, and some that I hope to use more regularly when I finally retire. I still have a long way to go to get down to the handful I'd want to keep to the end, but I'm about halfway there. I haven't really worked hard on selling handguns, but given my eyesight, any thoughts of heavy handgun use without some sort of red dot sight or a special lens for my glasses is pretty unlikely.

I have far more ammo for .22s, handguns and centerfire rifles than I ever realized until the pandemic. I'm going to have to work hard at shooting it all up over the next several years. But I'm sure going to try.

1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

I hope and pray that this is not taken in some other way than how I intend it. And it is not intended to be critical of anyone in particular. But, if you decide it's time to start getting rid of stuff because of your age, you have decided "I'm going to be gone soon, and I'd rather dispose of it my way". That's a recipe for disaster, IMO. You may well rid yourself, successfully, of all the guns you have dearly loved for many years, and saved those who succeed you from the effort to do so, but you may have also imprinted into your mind the idea that you're not going to be here much longer. And, that's a good prerequisite for checking out.

My mantra is that I am going to use all that stuff next season, next month, next week, tomorrow. And, do it. I learned some time ago the importance of thinking positive thoughts, and denying negative ones that creep in. Really competitive people, in all forms of sports (and shooting), understand the importance of thinking positive thoughts, programming your mind to believe what you will achieve. The mind accepts what you tell it. The problem comes when you tell it negative things. Like, "I'm 69 now, that's nearly 70, and Lord knows how many of my classmates never made 70. I'd better get my things in order because I may not be here much longer." Damn that!! I will NOT think that way.

1 member likes this: azgreg
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by tut
Hunt as long as its fun. For me its about the dogs. If I kill a bird its for them anyway. I was never into the kill a pile of birds and take the pics and flash them around. If I didn't have dogs I wouldn't hunt except perhaps sitting on a haybale and pass shooting doves. That doesn't count turkey hunting. I'll do that as long as the lord allows it. PS. I have a friend in his mid 70's who has Parkinson's. He should hang it up. Hard to walk and hard to shoot isn't a safe combination. However he has two excellent bird dogs and his wife does the handling and he does the shooting. All preserve birds at this point, but he lives to watch a pair of dogs work birds.

Pretty much how I feel except for the turkey hunting as I just never got into that due to no dogs being involved.

At one point I was an avid whitetail hunter & now I would rather just observe them although I still enjoy eating venison. Fortunately my wife keeps the freezer well stocked & I'm OK w/ that.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.