March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (R. Glenz, Ted Schefelbein, 1 invisible), 287 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

This appears to be set up as a slug gun. I had nothing to do with this Darne, and would need more pictures, but, it certainly looks the part. Notice the beaver tail and the squared stock mount.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f...un_id=101062799

Best,
Ted

Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

As I recall, only buckshot was legal for deer at MCB Quantico, VA in 1956-57.

Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Odd situation here during deer season. If I use my Janeck (Dresden) 28ga/.577 buscheflinte I can only use the rifle barrel. Cannot use slug or patched ball in the smooth barrel as law states 20 ga or larger if shotguns used. I use R.E.A.L.s in the rifle barrel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There was an old Winchester single barrel 12 kicking around our family that accounted for about 30 deer from two people using 00.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There was never much shotgun slug use around these parts. From the time I began roaming the woods, up until the very late 60s, there were no rifles either. All the deer were deep in the river swamp, with none out here "on the hill". All deer hunting was with buckshot ahead of a pack of dogs, mostly hounds. It was just as much a social event as is a dove shoot.

I remember a fellow over near Groton Plantation in SC, with whom I got to hunt occasionally. He used a single shot 12, as Steve mentioned. His had an ejector, and I'm telling you he could "cycle" that thing faster than you can believe. He held three shells between his fingers of his fore hand, and could shoot, reload and shoot again so fast it was amazing. Many years of practice, and "one gun".

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Shooting slugs out of a shotgun is a ton of fun. I have an old old Bay State with the barrel cut down to 25" giving a cylinder choke. Using AQ slugs in my hand loads it shoots to point of aim at 30 yards. I have yet to shoot a deer with it, but if I get the chance to pull on one, I feel good about my odds.

I had a gunsmith braze a Browning rifled choke onto the end of an 18" barrel on my Mossberg 500. I can keep sabot slugs all on a paper plate off hand at 80 yards regularly.

Williams Gunsight company makes a adjustable rifle sight that will clamp onto a vent rib of a modern shotgun. Some day I will get me a set of those and try them on my Citori.

Mergus

Last edited by mergus; 12/07/18 06:14 PM.

Duckboats, decoys and double barrels...
Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hate to admit it, but as teenagers in the early '50s we used to shoot slugs at rafts of canvasbacks to try and get them moving. Other guys tried shooting arrows out of their .410 single shots and one guy claimed he did it with .38-55 brass in his .410.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My most used turkey gun is a NEF 12ga single with three barrels. One of the barrels is for slugs and is rifled to accept sabots. Iron sites are a challenge now days, but it shoots pretty true. If I were serious about shooting a deer with it I'd add an optical sight, and I'm sure it would do the job...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

.38-55 brass would be a mighty sloppy fit in a .410. Didn't look it up but as I recall the .38-55 would be around .05" loose in a .410 chamber

A former Co-Worker of mine told me once when he was a teenager he decided to "Make" a slug. He opened up a shell & poured out the shot, melted it & poured it back in. It only filled about half of the space the shot had occupied so he poured in the melted shot from a second shell. Fired it from a Stevens 311 & amazingly the gun held with no apparent damage, but he Said it sure Kicked Like a Mule, so he didn't try it again.

Also once heard of an ole Mountain man who used #5 shot for everything in a single barrel 12. For deer, he opened the crimp & poured in melted beeswax. He claimed it would punch a hole all the way through a good-sized tree. Seems it was common practice in his locale & they referred to it as "Waxing a Buck".

NOTA BENE; I do not recommend any of these methods.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.