April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (griz, eightbore, ClapperZapper, Jtplumb), 1,313 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,143
Members14,409
Most Online1,319
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

Did you buy it from a dealer or direct through the Italian Firearms Group? I have one on order through Quality Arms and Im wondering if he will go to bat for me if I encounter a like situation.

builder Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dave,
NIB at an auction. No dealer to help. I don't think it would matter unless he was a big dealer.

Last edited by builder; 11/19/18 10:18 PM.

So many guns, so little time!
builder Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Joe, your points are well taken. Thank you.

builder Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
Personally, I do not believe that straight edge bit is totally reliable. Many doubles, particularly relatively lightweight ones have their OD's increased in the choke area so they are a bit "Swamped". Also even if proved to be perfectly straight there is still the matter of did they get set to the absolutely correct convergence, which of course can vary a bit according to load used.

Both barrels are very straight with no choke bulge. Whether it is the choke tube threads, barrel convergence or a poorly formed choke tube is unknown by me at this point. The weather, the holiday coming and the fact that I live in NJ with the closest patterning board I know of about two hours from here ( a sporting clay club I shoot at in Pennsylvania) makes this difficult and time consuming.

I usually shoot Herters Low Recoil shells so that is what I pattern with. One ounce at 1060fps. As an aside, they work very well even at far targets.

builder Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Coosa, thank you for reminding me about your method. Six months ago you were kind enough to take the time to explain how to do it and although I have not tried it yet I understand how to do it and after your patient explanation I also understand how it works. I have no problem trying it on a choke tube however I am concerned they are not thick enough to accomplish the goal.

builder Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Stan, I vaguely recall your discussing this in the past when you were patterning a .410. Maybe I imagined it? Not sure.
I will pay attention and make sure I do everything the same. Wouldn't it be nice that this is the fix. This is a 6lb 4 oz straight grip gun perfect for open field hunting. Long barrels but fast and light. It is the middle priced one with laser engraving and no case color.

The upland season is over for me but I am excited to use it in the field. It will have to wait for next year for that but there are a few clays waiting for it if I can work this out.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As I was talking to Bazil Slaughter (FAIR dealer) about the possibility of ordering a FAIR gun, I asked him about the warranty, and the possibility of a my receiving a gun that was not regulated. He assured me he would work with me to help resolve any issues I might encounter with a new FAIR gun.

I sincerely hope I don't need to find out.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
Stan'
Note that I said it was "Not Totally Reliable". It is not an absolute guarantee that if the barrel is straight it will hit the right place. I believe your illustration of changing the grip bears that out. You did not change the straightness of the barrels as you changed the grip, only the manner in which it recoiled. Likewise, the barrels can be perfectly straight but if the convergence is off a bit the barrels will not shoot to the same point of impact. Also, we have no guarantee the bores & the OD are absolutely concentric, it's where the bores point that is the important point.

Agreed, Miller. But, if one barrel is straight and the offending barrel is not, by a straight edge, well..... that's a good place to begin looking.

Convergence, and the lack or overabundance of it, is the biggest culprit in non-regulated S x S guns where the error is horizontal, IMO. Not the straightness of the barrels, nor the concentricity of the bores to the O.D. of the barrels. Again, IMO.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 11/19/18 11:24 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
builder Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I wish you barrels that point where they are supposed to Stan! I think the odds are in your favor. I hope that mine is an oddity.

My guess at this point with absolutely no real evidence would be slightly off center choke threads. Hopefully I can find out what really is wrong and and remedy it.

The advice and concern here is much appreciated.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Milt, I hope you get it straightened out. Sounds like a perfect field gun and good rooster medicine. I have a 30" 16 gauge on order and based on your gun's weight mine should also be light. Even if mine is well regulated I still might not hit a damned thing with it!

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.