March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jimmy W, KDGJ, smlekid, Owenjj3, Argo44), 822 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Recoil Rob
What does bending SxS barrels do to solder joints?

Rob, I only have experience bending 2 sets. No issues. The solder is very soft and mallable. If the solder joints were marginal or already loose, I would expect trouble.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Chuck. I would think solder could get brittle with age, probably not prudent to try on a vintage gun.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rob, actually the first set i straightened was a damarcus set that looked like it had been slammed in a car door. It had to beat least 1900 or older. I dont think solder mechanical properties change much if at all in 100 years.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I bent a set of Ithaca Flues barrels that shot way low. I put them on blocks of wood at the ends and bounced my weight on them with one foot. It took quite a bit to set the bend. They kept springing back but I got them bent and problem solved. It is very hard to detect the bend. It doesn't take much to move the pattern. And no harm to the solder joints.

I will say that I usually wouldn't resort to such crude methods but the Flues came in a box lot from a farm auction. My father's paid six dollars for the lot.

builder Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

If you mount the gun and you see no rib but you see the front bead and it fires 10" high of point of aim what do you do? If you bend the barrels down would the front bead drop below the horizon? Same thing if you lower the comb. I am confused. What to do besides selling it? It happens to be a single barrel so no worries about solder.

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've fixed that situation, Milt, by replacing the front bead with a bigger( taller) one. Someone on here suggested that about a year ago, and I tried it. It worked like a charm! Even though we don't look at the bead when shooting, it is our reference point in our peripheral vision. It is well within our field of view.

I wouldn't expect that to lower it 10", though. Seems like mine came down about 4-5", which was enough for me on that particular gun. I've never had a gun that shot high when I couldn't see any rib. My problem, when they shoot high, is usually that they are stocked without enough drop for me, and I see way too much rib.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
builder Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That was me with my Ithaca 37 that I bought maybe ten years ago. Kutter suggested the fix and it worked moving the pattern for me down 4" or so. I always read what he has to say.

This gun is a friends gun and it is also a modle 37. It has a vent rib(mine is plain not that it should matter) and 30" barrels also. He patterned it when I fixed the FAIR Iside. We were shocked. When you look down the gun all you see is a bead.

I will start with a large bead. Do you recall which one you bought? Maybe it is larger than the one I bought. I found it difficult finding large beads.

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't remember the dealer, but I went on eBay and did a search. You will find a guy that has all different sizes and thread pitches. He is who I ordered from. Very low prices and very fast service. I think I have bought from him twice. If you want to wait I will look in my shop tomorrow and see if I still have one in the package. Maybe his name will be on it. But, in lieu of that, I will go eBay now and see if I can find which one it was. If I do, I'll post a link here for you.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ok, all his ads look like this one, Milt. Just scroll through them until you find the size you want.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Brass-Shotgun-Front-Bead-Sight-3-56-130/152778288687?hash=item23924bae2f:g:uNMAAOSwH4NZg2Pi:rk:2:pf:0

Best, SRH

Well, it won't link for some reason. Copy and paste this web addy and it should come up.
anyway, it's "qualitygun, in Redding, CA".

Sidelock
Sidelock

I tried highlighting the link as if to copy but when you right click to copy next line below copy is a GoTo "link", just click it & comes right up without having to copy & paste it in the HTTP; line.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.