March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, smlekid), 295 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Jimmy W Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Or sticking one's nose in someone else's business. Reading the Superposed post reminded me of an incident that happened a few years ago at a famous gun shop that I have done business with in the past. And they always dealt fairly with me, I felt. On one occasion I happened to be looking at a Standard Grade .410 Superposed that had the price of $1600.00. I thought at the time that that was ridiculously cheap and asked the salesman for the date and when he told me, I realized it was a salt gun. (gasp!!) He broke the gun open and showed me the (pretty bad) pitting inside the receiver and said that it was only due to the gunpowder someone had used. Other than that, the gun was in about 99% condition. But since I didn't want a salt gun (and after realizing that the salesman was being partially honest) I decided to pass on the deal. As soon as I walked over and sat it back in the rack, a gentleman standing next to me had seen me looking at it, picked it up and after looking at it for a few seconds, he mumbled something like, "Wow a .410 Superposed for only $1600.00!!" Then he walked over and bought it. (He didn't hear my conversation with the salesman). I always wondered if I had done the right thing by never saying anything to him. As I drove out of the parking lot and I watched him putting it in his car, I could only picture someone pointing out that he had bought a rust bucket and imagined the sick look on his face should he ever find out. What would you guys have done in my situation? Would you have stopped him in the store and informed him what he was buying by whispering....psst....psst...? Would you have said something to him in the parking lot after he bought the gun? Or would you do as I did by just minding my own business? What do you think guys? Did I do the right thing?

Sidelock
Sidelock

We all have the right to laugh behind the other guy's back and tell our friends. The bony finger before the sale is damned inconvenient if you value your relationship with the dealer and the blabbing in the parking lot is downright mean.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Then again, if, through my own ignorance, I was about to stuff up in a really expensive way, I'd hope someone could set me straight...
A little goodwill can go a long way.

"after realizing that the salesman was being partially honest": let me be "glass-half-empty" - the salesman was being either partially dishonest or plain ignorant.
RG

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

If by "ethics" were still talking the traditional definition-honest, trustworthy, doing right- I going to say that the right thing to do is make certain the fellow buyer has all the right information. Perhaps once you told him he'd say "its still a deal" and buy the gun. But to stay mute to keep a relationship with the seller pawning off damaged goods, that doesn't seem ethical in the traditional sense? I know we live in a time where "looking out for number one" has become the standard and "greed is good" has become the battle cry. But I'm old fashion and poor and I just can't get use to things like illegal immigration being good for us or the notion that the Bill of Rights meant that if some other person can put your property to better use you must fork it over. I guess I just stopped evolving? I don't like people who use handicap parking illegally either! Go figure me?

Last edited by ben-t; 08/21/07 02:09 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would've told the guy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

ben-t:
What you said and the way you said it.
Bravo !!
Best,
John

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Whenever a question arises about personal responsibility, I ask myself "Who am I? The answer comes easily in each circumstance: I'm a father, husband, brother, colleague, responsible citizen, fellow gunner in a gunshop, etc. The obligation is clear. A shop that always dealt fairly with you should not be displeased with a customer advising another about a gun, one way or the other.

A gunshop is a clearing house of merchandise. The people in the aisles are customers like you. Dealers may be more or less knowledgeable than some customers about their guns. If a common call of caring is subordinate to future callings in the shop, you get what you got, Jimmy: an itch worse than a missed shot.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jimmy,
If this was an easy one you wouldn't have asked us. I do see the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" component to the situation and it's not clear cut to me.

Early in life I learned butting into other people's business without being asked is rarely the right thing to do unless something serious is involved. And a superposed doesn't make it as serious in my book.

The buyer knew enough about the gun to recognize the price was too good to be true, and jumped on it anyway. A guy with 2 G's to drop on impulse without checking a thing?

If it was a working young guy buying a broken down pump for more than Wally World sells them new, I'd be more inclined to butinski.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The guy probably bought it because he thought if he put it down it would be sold in an hour.

We are all assuming that the guy who bought the gun would want to hear it might be a salt gun. He might have been angry at you for telling him the bad news. He also might have thought you were sorry for putting it down and was hoping the bad news would make him walk away so you could buy it. I've seen it happen.

Generalities do not fit every situation. Even the ones that many on this board live by. Your best bet in this situation was what you did.

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mind your own business like a good American that you are. Trust me, your countrymen know good education is expensive here.
I'm buying 30" 'Superposed' Magnum with 76mm chambers for wildfowling. You can bet I know how to buy a real good one.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.