March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (eightbore), 827 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

It's quite obvious, the guy paid the the clerk a few bucks to tell you it was a salt gun so you'd put it down. Conspiracy theory!

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Builder hit the nail on the head. He was afraid to put the gun down. The guy knew about salt guns and knew exactly what he was doing. Now he is at home with some fine steel wool and oil, repairing the damage and looking for some salt free wood. He is one happy camper.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pitting inside the receiver should not have been from salt wood, maybe you mean along the side of the receiver. The salt wood pitting that I have seen was contact areas of the stock and the metal of the receiver and tangs.

Sounds like the dealer had already heavily discounted the price of the gun to reflect the problem of the salt wood. When ever you come across a bargain like this you need to look real close for the reason.

Personally I would have asked the buyer if the seller had shown him the problem before the sale. I am sure that you could have quietly done this without making a major fuss. If the seller is honest he will take no offense. If not you will get screwed by him on some other deal in the future. There are too many decent dealers and far too many decent guns to not do the right thing. Who knows what the buyer might have done if you told him before the sale. He might still have bought the gun and been just as happy because he got a bargain even with a few warts. Now years later you are wishing you had done differently or at least wondering if you should have. Life is too short to not be proud of your actions and deeds.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What is a 'salt gun'?

On ofering advice: I do it if I am asked or if I happen to be in aconversation with someone over a gun I will make observations and expand on them if asked.

I have seen people get quite upset if offered advice they have not asked for - often because they think it an affront to their own experise. It is a tough call. Sometimes people buy guns I woild not buy - but maybe they have reaons of their own for buying them. I know I have bougt plenty of guns in the past that people thought I was mad for buying - but I had my reasons.

Actually, I see it every time I go to an auction, I price guns up and bid accordingly and often shake my head in wonder at what people pay for things because they have not done their homework.

I think you have to call each case as you see it. I think you did that and your conscience can rest easy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not an affair to interfere with. Anytime I've stuck my hand in, both dogs bit me.

I have difficulty following your posts at times jagermeister. I understand good education expensive, but maybe mine not good enough to understand post. Explain better, please?

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Small Bore brought up a good point. Are we going to holler across the room every time a bad gun at an auction is bid higher than we think proper??

I have to wonder why the buyer didn't think to ask you why you decided to take a pass on a gun he thought was such a steal that he bought it at "first touch". Frankly, unless you're asked for your opinion and/or expertise, the transaction between store and the other man was none of your business.

While it's difficult to see someone make a misinformed mistake, the ethical problem was not yours. Perhaps the store salesman didn't have an ethical problem either. He did, as you stated, open the gun up for your inspection which is how you knew it was a salt gun in the first place. The fact that he didn't identify the actual reason for the corrosion correctly is inconsequential...the damage was not hidden from those who asked.
Bottom line - "stupid is as stupid does"
Forrest Gump

"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it" - Capt. Woodrow Call
Sidelock
Sidelock

Unfortunately, whether anyone cares to admit it or not, ethics tend to be situational. All one can do is what they think right, and live with the result. It is morals that hopefully don't vary!
Just a humble opinion..
My best to all
Rick

"Sometimes too much to drink is not enough" Mark Twain
Sidelock
Sidelock

"Let the buyer beware."

If he had entered the store 5 minutes later you would not have been there, he would have still bought the gun and you would have a clear conscience. You certainly could not stay at the store and warn everyone that the gun was a salt gun.
Timing cannot be your guide.

Mark
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've learned over the years "that just about everyone, when it comes to guns, cars, fishing, hunting and so on" is an "expert" when it comes to giving advice and you might be, but the "stranger" doen't know that. On the other hand who are you to give unasked for advice and chances are you would look askance at someone doing the same to you. There are of course very knowlegable people in all aspects of their "hobby", but if you might be standing next to one it is rather difficult to tell (is he for real or just full-of-it)? The bottom line, don't give an opinion unless asked for-this in many instances includes friends and relatives-it can easily becomes mis-interpreted. Most people on the other hand are very appreciative of your opinion if given when asked. --- John Can.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.