March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jimmy W, KDGJ, smlekid, Owenjj3, Argo44), 822 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 27 of 56 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 55 56
Sidelock
Sidelock

Those girth measuring game weight estimating tapes aren't very accurate at all. Look for an old Stillard scale for a more accurate way to weigh game animals. These are antique single beam balance scales that come in various sizes, and were used to weigh produce, grain, cotton bales, hogs, etc. They typically came with two counterweights, and the beam had two scales such as 0 to 50 lbs in 1/2 lb. increments with a 2 lb. counterweight, and 0 to 400 lbs. in 2 lb. increments with an 8 lb. counterweight. Very small versions may only go up to 20 lbs. and the largest one I have will weigh up to 800 lbs. But I recently saw a huge one that went up to 1600 lbs and used a 16 lb. counterweight on the high side. I didn't buy it because I don't anticipate weighing any Kodiak bears or Cape Buffalo.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have one of those, keith. I never knew the name for it, Stillard, we always just called them "cotton scales". They are extremely accurate.

When I was a kid growing up here on the farm Grandaddy would take me to the cotton field late in the afternoon for "weighing up". Many of you probably remember the scene, but I will describe it briefly, as it is etched indelibly in my mind. All along the ends of the rows on the edge of a cotton field, the "turnrows", would be big burlap sheets spread out on the ground and piled high with freshly picked cotton. Each hand would have several sheets for the cotton they had picked during the day. Then, the four corners would be pulled up together and tied in two knots.

Grandaddy's scales were not mounted on one of those tripods with one very long leg that acted as a lever, he preferred a sassafras pole about 8 feet long. The scales were tied in the middle of it and two men would lower the pole and scales over a sheet of cotton, Grandaddy would place the hook on the bottom of the scales in the knotted sheet, and the men would lift it off the ground, placing it on their shoulders and standing motionless as Grandaddy balanced the beam with the "pea" weight.

There would be much loud joviality as different hands tried to guess what each sheet held. Grandaddy knew close to what it would be, by experience, and if it was too heavy would have to search the bottom of the sheet for rocks or citrons, which might have been placed there to cheat the scales. That hardly ever occurred, because this was the happiest time of the year for the tenants and hands. They could potentially make more money picking cotton than they could any other job on the farm, all year.

I have the scales, the old sassafras pole, and many of Grandaddy's little pocket notebooks where he recorded the day's weight picked by each hand. They bring back wonderful memories of playing with the hands' children, Grandaddy, and a time when everyone of all colors were more appreciative of what they have, and were willing to work for it. Some of my good friends, even now, are the children and grandchildren of those hands that lived here on our place. Thirteen households of people at one time.

My, how times have changed in the old cotton field. Nowadays one six-row cotton picker can pick more cotton in a day than over 1300 field hands could have done in a day. And when it is ejected from the picker it is wrapped in a waterproof, plastic wrapped roll, holding almost four bales by weight.

Pardon my rambling. I'm getting reminiscent in my autumn years, I guess. SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

No need for 'pardon', Stan. That was a post that should ring a memory bell with many of us, especially in the South. I still have one of those old cotton baskets around here somewhere...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

One other quick incident that happened with a set of those scales. I found a set in an old barn when my younger brother and I were kids, and decided to weigh my brother with them. I hung them, shakily, from a joist and proceeded to pick my younger brother up and hang him by his rearmost belt loop of his pants. Just about the time his weight was taken by the contraption I had rigged up something turned loose and the whole affair came down on top of my brother's head, the edge of the beam ripping open his forehead. Well, that was another trip to the doctor to get "sewed up", and another round of punishment for me.

eek

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan;
Wonderful story. Although I did not have to travel far to get into cotton country the area I grew up in had virtually no cotton. Much of it was pasture land for raising beef cattle with the major cash crop being Burly Tobacco.
I well remember those hanging balance beam scales but had never heard that name either. I did a google search on it & seem the spelling is Stilliard & it was stated it was a "Corruption" of the term Steelyard (Portable scales). I have heard those balances called steelyards. I thought perhaps Stilliard was an early brand name, sorta like Crescent, but doesn't seem to be the case.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

No birds were harmed in the taking of these pictures...except for maybe a Bald Eagle's feelings...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice steelheads, and nice "runs" in the pictures, especially the bottom photo.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks David... That's Erie, Pennsylvania

Sidelock
Sidelock

Had a great chukar/hun hunt last weekend. I enjoy hunting in the snow.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark,I also really enjoy hunting in the snow. I'm not sure if it's because a lot of people stay at home and I can usually get some solitude, or because it just feels old-worldly and classic, but I like it.

Great pictures and is that perchance one of your Huskys? I like your personal touch of the painted chukar on the forend by the way.

Page 27 of 56 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 55 56

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.