March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (SKB, Borderbill, Marc Ret, Tim in PA, 1 invisible), 779 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 29 of 56 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 55 56
Sidelock
Sidelock

IMO, using the safety on an Ideal is just not doable. I vaguely recall someone had figured another easier method to keep it "safe" under hunting conditions. Maybe something with the under lever? Anyone recall?

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've never shot an Ideal, but the Darne safety always gets me...especially when it's cold. Does the Ideal have a slide lever safety near the trigger?

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The lever can be lifted on the Darne, slightly opening the action and it can't be fired. The Ideal's safety is aft of triggers and locks the triggers by sliding forward for safe, and back for firing, counter to a top mounted tang. Tang safety's are great for snap shooting. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Manufrance Ideal safety is at least ambidextrous, if you can only remember which way to move it...Geo

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 12/09/18 03:02 PM. Reason: added pic
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Geo, I'm standing on the road with Abby and Willa locked down in the briers in the same place we found a bird last year on opening day. Last year, I had to crawl in from the other side to flush the bird for Floyd to shoot, which he did. This year we had the exact same situation, same place, and Floyd reciprocated, going in to flush the bird while begging Abby to do it for him. Those cat briers show no mercy. Abby and Willa held staunch (that's why I pay'em the big bucks) and Floyd flushed it out and it flew down the road, straight away with me pulling on locked trigger after I thought I'd taken it off safety. I had just loaded the gun for the shot. I hunted dove the day before with an English double. "You weren't ready for that bird???" I kept my mouth on safety after he said that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Gregg. I will try the slightly open the lever and see if it works for me.

So many guns, so little time!
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Look at page three of the first scanned Darne info page in the FAQ section. "inherent safety" describes how to do it. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Turd in the punch bowl time.

Darne guns were produced by several different regimes over most of 150 years. If you have ever had the chance to dismantle a very old gun, say pre-WWI, and compare it to anything built post WWII, you will see differences in engineering and parts. My own experience says the older the gun, the less critical the position of the lever out of battery is. My own R10, post WWII gun, the lever needs to be fairly high out of battery.
The opening lever up trick works on the very great majority of them, and all Charlins, by design. Some will require the lever to be quite a ways out of battery. It is critical to test your gun, and have a clear idea where the lever is when the gun cant be fired. There is a position where the ejectors will come into play, without the gun firing, but, it is spooky close to where the gun will actually fire, recoil finishing the closing of the action. I DO NOT use the triggers to activate the ejectors on live ammunition, and you shouldnt, either.

Know thy gun.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

https://imgur.com/gallery/lhcg7hd

Scroll down to the last photo. That's my 6 yr old, 90 pound GSP Sam. He held that point for 10 minutes while I took photos and waited for my buds to arrive. Then I shot the bird!

Sidelock
Sidelock

That is really cool!
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
The Manufrance Ideal safety is at least ambidextrous, if you can only remember which way to move it...Geo

Page 29 of 56 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 55 56

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.