Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#531182 12/14/18 10:00 PM
12brd Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was at at a friend's house today showing him the LC Smith I was planning on parting out. Well he said he had one similar that might need something. Well we got them both out and the serial numbers were 9703 and 9724. That's crazy close for 100 year old guns. IMG]http://i.imgur.com/qZoFijX.jpg[/IMG

Sidelock
Sidelock

I just stumbled upon a Churchill bearing a serial number exactly one before mine. I'm trying to figure out how badly I want it!
Since it isn't exactly the same, the best I could hope for is to have a composed pair made 108 years ago.
Karl

Last edited by Karl Graebner; 12/14/18 10:18 PM.
12brd Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

URL=http://imgur.com/LW0DkR8][/URL

Sidelock
Sidelock

Years ago I bought many orphan barrels for future use. So Inbought a set of 16 Sterlingworth barrels. At another gun show about fifty miles away I found a sterlingworth fore end that I bought. Back at home I added it to the barrels. Surprise to find out the numbers matched. Went back the next day and asked if the dealer had the receiver. Was told he sold it several months earlier. I came within a whisker of finding it all and getting them back together. He was not the dealer who sold me the barrels. Funny how sometimes things come back together if you wait and get lucky, sometimes they dont.

Last edited by KY Jon; 12/15/18 02:22 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's another "Oh my gosh"!

I have a very early 12 gauge graded A. H. Fox double with auto ejectors. While cruising a local gun show many years ago I spotted some fore end wood, no iron, in a guys glassed case that looked Fox like.

I asked to see it and upon close inspection found the grade and serial number of my gun stamped in the end where the iron butts against it. Yeah, "Holy Crap".

Of course I bought it and still have it.

Gun must have been originally made without ejectors but sent back to the Fox factory later to have them installed. Obviously Fox used new wood and iron for the job.

Now if I could only find the original non ejector iron.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some incredible and interesting stories, keep them coming.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've told this story before. I was at a local gun show and asked a vendor if he had any Syracuse Lefever guns or parts. An old guy overheard me and said he had some parts he'd sell. I followed him to his house several miles away and bought a 12 ga. DSE grade action and forend. He told me he had bought these parts from the estate of a gunsmith who had died about 10 years earlier.

About a month later, I was at another gun show about 80-90 miles away. I rooted through a large box of stock wood and was very happy to find a nice Lefever butt stock at a very reasonable price. When I got it home, I checked the fit on a 16 ga. G Grade frame, and it fit as closely as you would expect from a factory stock. Then I looked at the serial number, and it seemed familiar. I found it was a match to the DSE grade action and forend I had bought a month earlier and 80-90 miles away.

Considering that these parts had been separated at a gunsmith's estate sale a decade earlier, what are the odds that I would find them when and where I did? Of course, I held out hope that I would find the barrels and reunite the entire gun, but that hasn't happened yet. I did find an orphan set of DSE barrels that I was able to fit to this gun, but I still hope to find the original barrels. I'd probably have a better chance at winning the Powerball jackpot.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I would be interested in the barrel and forearm when you get ready to part out.

Thanks

Travis

Sidelock
Sidelock

12brd, the gun on the top looks to be an 0E (ejector gun) and the bottom is a No 3E (ejector gun).
It is a shame you are thinking of parting it out and I'm sure there are people that would like to have it as it is.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

The forend on the bottom gun needs some serious attention. I don't believe it left the factory fitted so poorly. Probably a swap-out.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.