March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Researcher, Ian Forrester, Jimmy W, damascus, Roundsworth, 1 invisible), 660 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 33 of 56 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 55 56
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Billy filled in for Floyd today and we planned to leave house at 7 am. I had to cancel because Willa had developed pustules on her inner rear thighs. She had the same problem last year and they were infected which put her out of action. Vet prescribed an antibiotic regime and said she didn't have to ride the pines. She believed they were fire ant bites. Billy was able to come and we left at 9. We found 7 or 8 in tight spots that prevented shots on flushes. Birds were skittish and most of the flushes were un-pointed. Billy's predecessor to the Diana grade 20 ga. Superposed, a gun he inherited from his dad. My R10 20. Bird had a bad feather day.

Caleb, my favorite way is to vertically roast them with skin intact and olive oiled, salted and peppered. The vertical roaster is fashioned from a coat hanger. 500 degrees, in the oven or on a gas grill turned up high, preheated with lid down, cooked rare to medium rare. Note the cast iron semi-skillet which prevents broiling. I serve with sauteed chanterelles.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dinner looks good! Rare doodles, I would not have guessed.

I have yet to collect one.

Just squirrels tonight for me, and probably for quite awhile. Gus is down with a bad foot.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent,
Cooking woodcock rare is the best way I've found, after overcooking them when I began to hunt them. When cooked just right, they impart a taste like sweet liver. I generally marinate the breasts and legs. You really should come to woodcock country and try it, hunting them is addictive for sure.
I can't wait for October!
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Karl Graebner
Brent,
Cooking woodcock rare is the best way I've found, after overcooking them when I began to hunt them. When cooked just right, they impart a taste like sweet liver. I generally marinate the breasts and legs. You really should come to woodcock country and try it, hunting them is addictive for sure.
I can't wait for October!
Karl

As a kid I shot down trees trying to hit them in NE Minnesota. Now and then in the fall, I find them on my property here in Iowa, but I never have a gun in hand expecting them. I need to try harder.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD

As a kid I shot down trees trying to hit them in NE Minnesota. Now and then in the fall, I find them on my property here in Iowa, but I never have a gun in hand expecting them. I need to try harder.

The woodcock we killed back when quail were here stayed on the ground in swampy bottoms....don't recall ever seeing one in a tree.

I believe you got your cOcks confused "living on Dave's dOle Brentley"....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry Fred. You are the one confused. I never said they were perched in trees.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brentley you ever make that contribution to this website that you so freely use ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Of course not.

_________

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve Bodio on "it tastes like liver" regarding dark-meated game, especially woodcock:

Quoted in full:

I get tired of hearing how dark- fleshed birds "taste like liver"- good LIVER doesn't taste like liver when it is cooked rare, turned over quickly in hot bacon fat and butter. My disgusted French- born gourmand friend Guy de la Valdene, after he read an American recipe for woodcock that involved two cans of cream of mushroom soup and an hour and a half in the oven, wrote (in Making Game in 1990): "As this recipe negates the whole reason for killing the birds in the first place, why not take it a step further and poach the Woodcock overnight in equal parts of catsup, pabulum, and Pepto- Bismol."

Sidelock
Sidelock

GLS;
What you call the semi-skillet in the part of the South I'm from we call a cornbread baker. Thin crusty Corn Pone bread is baked on it, my favorite type of cornbread. It's really good with some Jalapenos chopped up in the batter.
You can find these at Lodge, down here in South Pittsburg TN, just off !-24 north of Chattanooga. I still have one of these (Brand unknown) that belonged to my Grandmother, but the handle was broken off long before I had dealings with it. It had belonged to my Father's Mother, but she gave it my Mother after her & dad married. I've eaten a ton of pone bread made on that ole baker.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 33 of 56 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 55 56

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.