Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 34 of 56 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 55 56
Sidelock
Sidelock

South Dakota was really good this year. I hunted 29 days for pheasants. I got a new pup in October so he was able to get lots of bird contact. He got better every day. I think the bird numbers were double from last year! Weather was cold but wind was down and precipitation was minimal. I love my Charles Daly 16ga. Overall a super season.

With a fine gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Miller, thanks for the correction. I have an unbranded one on the grill as well as a Lodge. I use a Lodge 5 quart Dutch oven for one pot meals. I have my great-grandmother's unbranded large skillet and a smaller one by Wagner Ware, 10.5". I am done with using "non-stick" coated skillets of which water is eventually the only substance that won't stick. Lodge is still the cheapest around, but it takes some elbow grease to remove the pebbly finish on the modern editions. There has been a resurgence of smaller foundries making lighter, smooth-surfaced skillets such as Field which makes a beautiful cast iron skillet and is priced on the lower end of "boutique" skillets. I use the "corn pone" pan for grilled sandwiches and French toast. Anything that doesn't splatter when cooking. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dukxdog, that's a fine Daly! Your first picture made me cringe seeing the gun posed on a pile of rocks; then I saw the padding. That's the way to do it...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil;
Can't prove if it is true or not but recently I read an explanation on the rough finish of most new cast iron. Seems as in the old days the sand mold was given a surface coat of extremely fine sand which gave a smooth finish as cast. Some law now says they cannot use that sand. Apparently, those smaller foundries such as the Field you mention are simply devoting a lot more time in smoothing the finish than Lodge does. I have a 9˝" unmarked skillet which is very smooth. The only mark on it is a cast in 7 in a triangle at the base of the handle.
Somewhere I did find that the 7 denotes the size of the ring on the bottom, thus the size of the opening it was made for on a wood cook stove. This one checks out exactly. I use this skillet almost every morning in cooking breakfast. For some years now since I retired, I cook breakfast every morning & my Wife does the rest of the cooking. We both like using cast iron.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dukxdog
Those are some fantastic photos!

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some of the finest cast iron griddles, frying pans and dutch ovens were made by Griswold. They've been making cast iron cookware since the 1860s, and I think they're still in business. Fine cookware. Unique trademark using a cross inside a circle.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 12/20/18 06:53 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

+1 on Griswold

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dukxdog, is that a Lindner?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: fallschirmjaeger
Dukxdog, is that a Lindner?

Yes, made in 1912.

With a fine gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I found this on Griswold;

Griswold Manufacturing. Griswold Manufacturing (/ˈɡrɪzwɔːld, -wəld/) was an American manufacturer of cast iron home products founded in Erie, Pennsylvania, in 1865 that finally closed in 1957. For many years the company had a worldwide reputation for high-quality cast-iron cookware.

For a number of years Lodge was known as the only US foundry still making cast iron cookware. There are now several smaller companies in competition with them.

Lodge catalogs what we called the Cornbread Baker as a Griddle. Many local names abound. There is now a differential between a Camp Dutch Oven & a Dutch Oven. What they call a Camp Dutch Oven I always just called a Dutch Oven. Their Dutch Oven without the provisions for putting coals on the lid we called a Bean Pot.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 34 of 56 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 55 56

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.