May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (Jtplumb, GETTEMANS, Drew Hause, 3 invisible), 442 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,425
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith

And that blather about the "Good advice" of buying the gun, and not the name. What horseshit. Do I really need to remind you of the guns you went to great lengths to buy... specifically because of the name?

I have exactly one gun I went to "great lengths" to buy because of the name. It happens to be my name and the gun was in France. It was the third one by that maker I had come across, the second that was for sale and the first that didn't have a crack in the metal of the action. Not sure how you define "great lengths" but taking a gamble on an on-line purchase doesn't seem all that difficult. And that's how I normally buy them. Would getting in my car and driving 90 min to the nearest semi-annual gun show be "great lengths"? I don't do that.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not relevant??? Hardly. This thread's OP was concerned with getting a restocking job done on a strict budget. Right away, people replied about the current high costs of restocking, which in many cases, will exceed the value of the gun in question. I noted that there are alternative ways of reducing those costs. I was the General Contractor when I built my house, and did much of the work myself. But when someone sees my fireplace, I don't act like I did the stone work.

I also don't get where you think jOe has become somehow emboldened because "he thinks I have his back." You seem to be letting your feud with jOe get the best of you. I don't see where anything has changed with jOe at all. He is no more or no less bold because of me. jOe is jOe, and Ted is Ted. I agree with both of them on most things, especially their respect for our gun rights, and their disdain for those who undermine those rights. Neither one needs me to have their back or prop them up. They do just fine without me. I would be disappointed if either one of them left us.

You criticized me by saying I don't want SKB to post here, but you know that I have never said such a thing. I actually like it when closet Liberals and FUDD's reveal how they stab us in the back. I was quite disappointed when an entire thread was deleted a couple days ago, but was fortunate to save some juicy QUOTES before it all went away. You know who the people are here who are always working to get Dave to censor those they hate, and it sure isn't me. You should spend a little time directing some of that criticism toward them. I could just as easily say that you apparently don't want jOe to post here, but I won't because you probably just need to think about what you're saying before you post it.

EDIT: For some reason, I thought you had found and purchased a second of those guns that you bought strictly because of the name. I apologize for still being right about the point I made! I don't scour the European gun market or consider doing that, and going through all of the rigamarole associated with international gun buying the same as going to a local gun show.

Last edited by keith; 12/21/18 12:30 PM.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
This is news to you Keith?? What kind of babe in the woods are you? LOL I could care less who specifically does the work as long as it's to the standard that the person I contracted with agreed to. What gets repeated here so often.....buy the gun, not the name. Good advice.

You know Keith, in your zeal to try to nail some of the people you think shouldn't be on this forum, you occasionally say dopey things. Like this stuff. So, without swearing to be as vigilant as you are, I may on occasion draw the dopey stuff to your attention. I'm all for calling bullshit when it's due, but not at the cost of saying dopey things or getting bent out of shape about dopey stuff. Trying to call Steve out because he has employed someone...well, that's actually anti American if you think about it.

Ah James, when I first saw your post yesterday evening, only the first paragraph above was there. I thought you were giving me an early Christmas gift by tossing me such an easily refuted softball. I didn't get to immediately reply because I was leaving to go out for dinner, and didn't get in until very late.

I am well aware of the long history of gunmakers using the services of outworkers and employees, and using sub-contractors. I'm pretty sure Uncle Dan Lefever never scratched any of those lovely engraved scrolls or game scenes into my guns. And I'm just as sure he never took credit for it or acted as if he alone was building what came out of his factory.

On the other hand, I simply don't believe that you or most other gunsmithing customers would be happy to seek the services of an established craftsman of high repute, and then come to learn that the work you paid a premium for had been handed off to some unnamed employee or subcontractor. I could just imagine how thrilled you'd be to pay Barry Hands or Winston Churchill to engrave one of your guns, expecting that name and cachet to enhance the value, and then learn that they never touched it, or that a lowly unnamed outworker did all the rose and scroll in order to cut costs, increase his profits, and to permit the great artist the leisure time to spend all day on Doublegunshop bashing Republicans. Or would you?

That would be something like paying a fortune for a Fender Stratocaster that was said to be played by Clapton or Hendrix, and then finding out it was only used by some back-up guitarist. Or finding out that your Rolex that looked great and kept perfect time was a fake.

You say it doesn't matter who does the work, so long as the work meets the contracted standard. Tell that to all of the people, Art Galleries, and Museums that have been duped by fake Picasso's, Gaugin's, and Monet's over the years... work that was good enough to fool all of the experts until pigment or canvas analysis proved the recent forgeries. It may not be a perfect analogy, but I'll stand by everything I said about giving credit and proper attribution to the unsung outworkers these guys use. Don't call yourself a custom gunsmith and use the ACGG seal when you are in fact running a little factory.

I'm not being un-American by criticizing them for hiring employees, and you know it James. I'm criticizing them for acting as if they are something they're not... much like a certain Award Winning Winemaker... who grew a few grapes and sold them to a vintner who actually made, barreled, aged, bottled, and sold the stuff.

And that blather about the "Good advice" of buying the gun, and not the name. What horseshit. Do I really need to remind you of the guns you went to great lengths to buy... specifically because of the name?

But then, earlier this morning, I saw that you had edited your post and added the entire second paragraph. Suddenly, your initial post all made sense to me. Either you are pimping for Stevie, or you have subcontracted your writing to nca225 and rocky mtn bill.

The assumptions you make are laughable at best and show just how deep your ignorance runs. My customers are informed at every step of a restoration including when I subcontract out work. My former employee
Manito Lara traveled with me to gun shows, interacted with clients both on the phone and in person and met several members of this board. We gave many tours of the old shop to clients, each of us explaining our roles and what would get subcontracted. Your implication that I deceived any one about him or using other craftsman is just plain wrong.

I currently have no employees but these are just a few of the operations performed in house. I am the CAD/CAM designer, I write the tool paths for the CNC MILL, I am the CNC operator, I stock every gun and rifle myself building my own patterns or using existing factory patterns which are run through my shop built pantograph. Hardware for rifles is built from scratch with a few parts sourced from NECG occasionally. I barrel all the rifles myself to my contours, several types of metal finish are performed in house such as rust blue, charcoal blue, slow browning(I mix my own formulas), and Nitre blue. Springs, other replacement parts not commonly available are fabricated by me. Action work such as re-joining is done in house. I also am the website administrator, accountant, gun salesman, package clerk, janitor, etc. I'll try to do more just for you keith
wink

You may want to look at the current requirements to become a Professional Member of American Custom Gunsmithing Guild. I am a member as a Metal Smith. If you are willing to get an FFL and can do the required work, we would love to have you join our ranks.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Poor Stevie, what makes you think I was specifically referring to you? But now you tell us that you do your Case Hardening all in-house, yett two days ago, you posted this:

Originally Posted By: SKB
I do contract out my CCH, like almost everyone else in the field.

So just what are we to believe when you can't keep your stories straight for two lousy days?

You called me a liar for saying that you had someone else who did rust bluing for you, but then you were stupid enough to demand an apology from me after posting this:

Two days later and you can not find any quote to substantiate your lies. The only person to ever do my blue for me was Manito Lara, I trained him, he did the work in my shop as an hourly employee. Do you think Turnbull does all his rust blue or CCH? He does not. Get a clue. Feel free to apologize for your slander.

Do I really need to prove any points when you do it for me? Ditto for the apparent abundance of time you have to spend here on Doublegunshop bashing me, jOe, and those evil Republicans when you have all that important Custom Gun Work to do, and your customers are waiting to get their guns back.

Apparently, normal intelligence is not part of the requirements to become a member of the American Custom Gunmaking Guild. You are the poster child for dumb.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Poor Stevie, what makes you think I was specifically referring to you? But now you tell us that you do your Case Hardening all in-house, yett two days ago, you posted this:

I do contract out my CCH, like almost everyone else in the field.

So just what are we to believe when you can't keep your stories straight for two lousy days?

You called me a liar for saying that you had someone else who did rust bluing for you, but then you were stupid enough to demand an apology from me after posting this:

Two days later and you can not find any quote to substantiate your lies. The only person to ever do my blue for me was Manito Lara, I trained him, he did the work in my shop as an hourly employee. Do you think Turnbull does all his rust blue or CCH? He does not. Get a clue. Feel free to apologize for your slander.

Do I really need to prove any points when you do it for me? Ditto for the apparent abundance of time you have to spend here on Doublegunshop bashing me, jOe, and those evil Republicans when you have all that important Custom Gun Work to do, and your customers are waiting to get their guns back.

Can you read? No where did I say Perform CCH in house. I never have performed my own CCH or claimed to. Please show me in the above where I said I did. I did not. You lie constantly.

Here for the meltdowns
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Or maybe you confused Charcoal Bluing with CCH, if so then you made a simple mistake. They are two different processes, but read my above post. I never claimed to do my own CCH.

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

You mean like when you called me a liar for saying you had employed someone to do your rust bluing, and then was stupid enough to give us his name? Or when you said I had no evidence that you support Democrats, but I then provided a whole bunch of QUOTES from you where you went repeatedly out of your way to prove that Republicans are the real threat to our gun rights, with no similar behavior directed toward the real and continual threat from Democrats? What conclusions can we draw from that Stevie? I apologize if I did indeed confuse CCH with charcoal bluing as part of the metal finishing you do in-house.

I didn't say that you deceived anyone about using employees or subcontractors. I specifically mentioned your use of a guy to do your rust bluing, and you had admitted that here. Gunmaker also admitted to using others to do some of his work. But if I quote an author here repeatedly over the years, and only give fleeting attribution once, then I am guilty of plagiarism, right? My intent here was to inform the OP that he might be able to save on stockmaking costs by finding his own outworkers instead of paying a high dollar gunsmith to farm out some of those jobs.

Business must be mighty slow since you have so much time to spend here bashing me, jOe, and evil Republicans.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

You mean like when you called me a liar for saying you had employed someone to do your rust bluing, and then was stupid enough to give us his name? Or when you said I had no evidence that you support Democrats, but I then provided a whole bunch of QUOTES from you where you went repeatedly out of your way to prove that Republicans are the real threat to our gun rights, with no similar behavior directed toward the real and continual threat from Democrats? What conclusions can we draw from that Stevie? I apologize if I did indeed confuse CCH with charcoal bluing as part of the metal finishing you do in-house.

Business must be mighty slow since you have so much time to spend here bashing me, jOe, and evil Republicans.

You are a liar because you twisted what I said to meet your needs. I employed someone who I trained, they worked under my supervision, in my shop where I footed the over head providing the space, the materials and customers. Very different from contracting it out to another business.

Apology accepted for the confusion regarding the CCH and charcoal blue, mistakes happen.

Business? Better than ever thanks for asking.

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not relevant??? Hardly. This thread's OP was concerned with getting a restocking job done on a strict budget. Right away, people replied about the current high costs of restocking, which in many cases, will exceed the value of the gun in question. I noted that there are alternative ways of reducing those costs. I was the General Contractor when I built my house, and did much of the work myself. But when someone sees my fireplace, I don't act like I did the stone work.

I also don't get where you think jOe has become somehow emboldened because "he thinks I have his back." You seem to be letting your feud with jOe get the best of you. I don't see where anything has changed with jOe at all. He is no more or no less bold because of me. jOe is jOe, and Ted is Ted. I agree with both of them on most things, especially their respect for our gun rights, and their disdain for those who undermine those rights. Neither one needs me to have their back or prop them up. They do just fine without me. I would be disappointed if either one of them left us.

You criticized me by saying I don't want SKB to post here, but you know that I have never said such a thing. I actually like it when closet Liberals and FUDD's reveal how they stab us in the back. I was quite disappointed when an entire thread was deleted a couple days ago, but was fortunate to save some juicy QUOTES before it all went away. You know who the people are here who are always working to get Dave to censor those they hate, and it sure isn't me. You should spend a little time directing some of that criticism toward them. I could just as easily say that you apparently don't want jOe to post here, but I won't because you probably just need to think about what you're saying before you post it.

EDIT: For some reason, I thought you had found and purchased a second of those guns that you bought strictly because of the name. I apologize for still being right about the point I made! I don't scour the European gun market or consider doing that, and going through all of the rigamarole associated with international gun buying the same as going to a local gun show.

Keith, I make no bones about it. I do wish jOe would take his particular brand of Gladys Kravitzing somewhere else. I have no feud with him. I just think he's a negative busy body who adds nothing, I repeat nothing, to this forum. He says stupid, negative things regularity and on occasion, I take him to task for it. Like the post he did in this thread.

However, I have no wish to see him banned nor do I complain in any way but directly on line in these public discussions.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Canvasback, Amen.

Bill Ferguson
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.