Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
GLS Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Frank, I see your post. Thanks. The kit I have came with the sterile stapler and pliers designed to remove them. It pretty much has the emergency supplies detailed by Tamid. I need to add a specific gauge needle and learn how to do a tracheotomy on a choking dog. My neighbors are vets and I'll ask them for instruction and a needle. We don't have porcupines, but I have a leatherman that would work in those cases. Frank, Abby went from 60 to 0 when she ran into concertina wire at Ft. Stewart two years ago. Troops are supposed to remove it from the field after leaving the areas. Fortunately both she and Willa wear Kevlar bay vests designed for hog chase dogs and the vest stopped the wire from cutting her up. hardcorehogdogs.com is where I got them. Great vests. Forget ballistic nylon as protection; Kevlar is tops. Both Abby and Willa are depicted in the vests in the Favorite Gun/Hunt thread a few pages back from our hunt on Dec. 8. My first encounter with hogs was when Abby was a year old chasing woodcock in thick, tall cane. She was baying hogs and surprisingly broke off the chase when I called. I was in thick cane and had gone to a knee to leash her and get her out of there. My gun was on the ground when the sow broke through the cane in a charge. She was under 10 yards when I saw her. I stood up and ran at her hollering with my arms in the air. She spun on her heels and went the other way. She must have have piglets with her. I didn't have time to think to pick up my gun and shoot. It happened that fast. Stan knows where that was.
Because of high water, we have had two close hog calls this year. Both times with Floyd's dog, Sadie. She was pointing into a brier hell. I couldn't get to her. Floyd went in from the other side. Sadie was pointing a huge boar, 5 yards away, slipping through the briers. Why he didn't bolt, no one knows why. Floyd had to drag Sadie off point. This was two weeks ago. Last week, Sadie was baying a hog. She drove the hog, close to his heels, between Floyd and I. Floyd was able to call Sadie off the chase. Both of us were digging in our pockets to load and shoot, but we didn't have to and Sadie was too close at the time. I'm not good on estimating weight, but he was taller than Sadie, a Britt, and as wide as he was tall with a long snout, barrel chest and narrow waist. It would have been ugly had he turned and fought. I keep e-collars on my dogs just in case they don't break off a chase. Abby is bad about baying them, but comes when I whistle. I've heard from Oklahoma hog hunters that their hogs have more Eurasian strain than our ferals where I hunt. Our hogs are bad enough, but the Eurasian are meaner and dog killers. Annually, bird hunters will lose dogs to them. Merry Christmas. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

That may well be true about the hogs in OK, Gil. But, one thing for sure, the hogs here will hurt you under the right conditions. One of my dove shooting buddies was cut up badly by a hog he wounded with a .243. Cut an artery in one arm and he nearly bled out before getting the bleeding under control. He killed the hog while lying on his back, with the hog popping his tusks over him, and blood spurting out of his arm.

SRH.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
GLS Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I recall reading about the incident on Old Town in Jefferson Co. His medical training save him. A buddy borrowed a hog dog from a friend and took him back to him dead as a door nail after being killed by a hog. They are bad news. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tamid I got lost after about line 4...

I've always heard that if you just give a dog heart worm medicine and he has heart worms the medicine could kill him.

Last edited by HomelessjOe; 12/24/18 11:49 PM. Reason: Gil...Don't be peeking now.
Sidelock
Sidelock

One thing you might add if hunting in snake country is injectable vitamin C for snake bites...or vitamin C tablets to make a paste with and pour it down the dogs throat.

Trust me it works...my buddy in Brunswick Ga's dog got hit on the muzzle by a Rattler called me and I got to googling...Snake bites in dogs and I came across the vitamin C deal...he said the dogs muzzle and part of its head swelled beyond belief...all he could find was vitamin C tablets made a slurry out of all the pills he had and poured it down the dogs throat next day the swelling was almost gone and his dog was close to normal.

They use this treatment in Australia....said if you gave the dog too much it just caused diahrea.

Last edited by HomelessjOe; 12/25/18 12:05 AM. Reason: Don't be peeking Gill
Sidelock
Sidelock

Google "vitamin C snake bites in dogs Australia"

Last edited by HomelessjOe; 12/25/18 07:31 AM. Reason: Don't be commenting on my post Gill remember you're IGNORING me.
GLS Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Heart worm medicine doesn't prevent infestation, it just kills them in early stage before developing fully into adults. The dead larvae are small enough to pass through the pulmonary system without causing serious problems. A dog with full infestation of adult worms is at risk for the drug because once they develop into adult size, killing them will cause dead worms to pass through the pulmonary system like huge clots. I've heard of vitamin C therapy for snake bites. My vet recommends 2-3 Benadryl tablets per 20 lbs. dog weight to prevent swelling which can close the windpipe. Take off all collars as well. Not sure who brought up the vitamin C or heartworm issue, but I recall a bright flash of light and disorientation when I peeked. Smelled sulfur, too. wink Gil

Last edited by GLS; 12/25/18 06:50 AM. Reason: Frank, what time are we going caroling?
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gill Tom I'd be afraid to go any where with you...

I'd probaly say some little something you didn't like and you'd get a little butt hurt and go to pouting..."I'm taking my wittle wed wagon and I'm going home".

Tell you what let your dog get bit by a Rattler and try the benedril..and let us know how it works out.

Me I'll be giving mine vitamin C.

Last edited by HomelessjOe; 12/25/18 07:30 AM. Reason: Don't be peeking now Gill Tom..
GLS Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, you can rely on the internet if you want to and I'll stick with my vet's advice. If you read it on the internet it has to be true. Both of my dogs have gone through snake breaking more than once with live rattlers, moccasins and copperheads. Avoiding them getting bit is the best medicine. I don't hunt them on balmy winter days, especially afternoons. Known more than one dog killed by a snake in the winter around here. Another vet I know spent over $3500 out of his own pocket on his dog trying to keep it alive and he lost it anyway. Around here, snakes, especially diamondbacks, will come out of their holes in the dead of winter and sun near their burrows. Damn, Frank. Crushed me again, I was hoping to hear more corn pone wisdom from you between carols. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
I don't hunt them on balmy winter days, especially afternoons.

Maybe you misspoke...I bet you meant bright sunny days.

Snakes are only active when their body temp reaches a certain point. In the winter up here it takes a sunny day to get them out....all the winter snakes I've seen were while quail hunting in January and February. They were all laying in full sun and still very lathargic.

Last edited by HomelessjOe; 12/25/18 08:35 AM. Reason: Carful with the apple cart Gill Tom
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.