March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (eightbore), 827 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Apparently smallbore doesn't "Dig" B-25s. Someone has pointed out that we are all experts or experts in the making. Jon has questionned the source of oxidation inside the u-channel of the frame described by Jimmy. I have seen two salt-era guns besides mine. One from which I ran--not walked--away had oxidation travelling onto outside of frame at intersection stock shoulders. The second, from which the wood had been removed, also showed corrosion on the face and shoulders of frame, sides of tangs, hammers, springs, inertia block, forend iron and both barrels (all the points of intimate wood/metal contact plus) but no corrosion in the barrel cradle of the action. Could be the real experts are the guys like myself who actually buy them. Having heard there's a fire across town is not the same as getting your skin blistered. I stand by my answer to Jimmy on his first trial balloon on this topic: "Why would you rain on the guy's parade when he hasn't asked for a weather report?"

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have many times wished the looker ahead of me would put a gun back in the rack so I could buy it. The buyer ahead of me, may see something that is unacceptable to him, but just a little bit of fixing for me and no big deal. What is the answer? It depends on how it is given and how it is received. If I tried to save the world from making mistakes, I wouldn't have half the things I own.

Sidelock
Sidelock

When he picked up the gun and said "Wow only $1600", what would be wrong about saying "Yeah, its a great price. I would have bought it if it wasn't a salt gun." If he asks what that means, explain it. Don't tell him its garbage. Just let him make a more informed decision. It might be his dream gun and a discounted one is all he could afford, in which case he would still buy it. Personally, if he wanted to talk about it I would ask a question of the dealer to bring him into the conversation about the condition of the gun. Keep it friendly. The dealer would no doubt point out the low price and why he thought that was fair. If the dealer got angry that I discussed guns with a customer he's not someone I want to deal with anyway. I hope if the situation was reversed someone more knowledgable (and there are plenty) might do the same for me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with Bob so long as the overture comes before the arias and the opera ain't entirely about self-validation. Buttinskis frequently have agendas or too much spare time and not enuf entertainment.

jack

One also has an ethical behavior responsibility to a "worthwhile dealer." If I were a dealer, I wouldn't want others to use my store, where I'm paying the rent, to criticize my inventory to prospective customers.

To use the WAL-MART situation mentioned above, it doesn't seem ethical to stand in a gun shop and advise customers they could purchase the same gun, or case of ammo, less expensively at the WAL-MART across the street.

When in someone else's place of business, we each have the responsibiity not to detract from that owner's income. If you think the merchant's prices are too high, just leave.

On the other hand, it does seem proper to use a BBS like this to inform fellow shooters of a dealer than cheats his customers.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Good point. Yeah, Jimmie, who is this crook who sells .410 Supers for $1600. By the way, do you think he could be talked down a bit???

Sidelock
Sidelock

WOW...what a great post/thread. I learned a lot form this one. Thanks guys.

Jimmy W Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A few other things I might also mention: First, the other guy/buyer knew I wasn't going to buy the gun because I had already taken it up to the counter to inquire about the serial number and I had put it back on the rack. So he knew I wasn't going to buy it. I couldn't quite remember the serial numbers/dates on the .410 models like I could on the 12s. So I asked and as soon as the manager told me the date of manufacture, I realized it was a salt gun and passed.... Second, the manager of the store was who I talked to. At his age, he had probably been in the business for forty years or more. He is very well known to people who frequent this store. Also, he knew it was a salt gun. I felt that he opened the gun and showed me the pitting, (which was all around the firing pin and down along the inside of receiver)so he could say he showed me the pitting- but he wasn't exactly honest about why it was there....Third, I could tell this guy/buyer wasn't very familiar at buying guns. He didn't really open it, inspect it before he took it up and bought it. He just picked it up, gave it a quick look up and down, said "Wow, a .410 Super for only $1600.00", and then went over and bought it. I didn't think it was my place to stand there for ten minutes and tell the story of how Browning had to dunk there guns in the water in Germany. And we were within earshot of the manager and he would have heard me and surely have gotten upset. Plus, I didn't want this guy getting mad at me and telling me to mind my own business and throwing a fit because I insulted the gun he wanted to buy and I tried to make him look stupid. (I usually think things like this out before I speak and he had already grabbed it and gone. Maybe I took too long to decide whether or not to say something) I have had that happen to me before and it causes hard feelings sometimes. I would probably want someone to tell me, but others don't always act the way I would. So, I just let well enough alone. Besides, in a situation like this, he got it cheap, and with the cost of adding new wood and having it fixed if it needed repairs, he still would have a gun worth what he had in it. Who knows? After five or six years, maybe he is still happy with it. Thanks for your opinions, guys.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Does Ed1 get out your way, Jimmy? By now, he's probably handed the popgun to Ed2 for a scrubup.
jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

No good deed goes unpunished!! However I would have stuck my neck out and blurted the truth anyway. Probably regretted it but just can't help it. David

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.