May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Licensed to kill, Der Ami, Hal M Hare), 976 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,528
Posts545,859
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#532673 01/01/19 04:33 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Another question. Who made the first side lever? Are there actual benefits? How about for a lefty? How are they actually supposed to be used?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can try to answer your question as to who made the first side lever doubles. These would all have been pinfires, made when all manner of fastening mechanisms were being invented and produced. While they all do an adequate job of holding down the barrels, there is quite a range to the strength of these mechanisms, and not all are practical.

The best-known of the early side lever actions is probably JD Dougalls Lockfast patent of 1860. Like all inert slide and drop actions, it is a bit slow in the field and takes some getting used to, but it is strong. The first Lockfast had a lever that was lifted, though most had levers that were depressed downward (I have one dating from 1864). Of the side levers tensioned with a spring, J. Needhams action of 1862 would have been amongst the first of that type. It is somewhat awkward in that the lever is hinged near the breech face, and pushing or pulling it downward is not a natural motion (at least not to me). The spring is an improvement, though. I have a John Blissett pinfire with the Needham lever, dating from around 1863-1864. Finally, the S. & J. Law patent of 1865 was a proper snap side lever, but with a very long throw (and it has a bit of a flimsy feel to it). There were a number of variations on these actions, but I havent seen or tried them in my hands. The 'classic' side lever guns, by Stephen Grant and others, and the various side-cocking actions, appeared much later, starting in the very late 1870s and into the 1880s, almost 20 years after the first pinfire side levers.

The gun pictured is a 12-bore dual pinfire-centrefire gun by The Breech Loading Armoury Company (Limited) of London, made before 1868, with the S. & J. Law patent action.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fine work of art...rib looks loose in the pic.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Fine work of art...rib looks loose in the pic.

Its just a bit of discolouration, Joe, the rib is solid.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've been curious about side-levers for quite awhile. Somehow they always made sense and as you know from previous post, just purchased a Reilly Side-Lever SN 27553 (1885).

I went back to look at my Reilly database which has pics of just about every extant Reilly (Reilly made just about every type of action). Here are the two earliest ones:

No SN mentioned, pinefire - has to be mid-1860's:

SN 17392 (Which would date to late 1871-early 1872)(one of Terry Buffum's guns):

The earliest Reilly advertisement which specifically mentions "side-lever" however is 1877 Bradshaw guide to the Tyrol:

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Found this interesting quote while reading up on E.C. Hodges: - it appears E.C. Hodges invented the side-lever (modern "as we know it") in 1871 and Grant took it to another level:

http://hodgesgunmakers.yolasite.com/ec-hodges.php

Last edited by Argo44; 01/08/19 03:44 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looking at the above photos I see similarity to Needhams side lever and a gun that looks like a Scott ,but never seen a side lever version .This could be that actions were bought from one maker and finished by another.

There were numerous patents , provisional and full , improved patents , people claiming patents and those marking actions as patent even if it was not their patent . Add in that there were many short loved actions and those that copied patented actions , where the patent had expired or never taken beyond a provisional . It is fact that many patents granted at this time would not really have stood up to a court case as they were merely slight modifications of others .
As to the advantages or disadvantages the fact that they went out of use almost entirely says something for there popularity .
That said if you have missing or damaged thumb a side lever can be the answer to your problems it can be used with the heel of the hand as can be for a left handed person who finds a conventional top lever difficult.

Sidelock
Sidelock

very nice guns.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Sidelevers work just wonderfully for us southpaws as your thumb just moves forward a bit to open the gun. I've always wanted one but never found the right one. Someday maybe. Argo44, your Reilly looks just lovely.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gunman
Looking at the above photos I see similarity to Needhams side lever and a gun that looks like a Scott ,but never seen a side lever version .This could be that actions were bought from one maker and finished by another.

There were numerous patents , provisional and full , improved patents , people claiming patents and those marking actions as patent even if it was not their patent . Add in that there were many short loved actions and those that copied patented actions , where the patent had expired or never taken beyond a provisional . It is fact that many patents granted at this time would not really have stood up to a court case as they were merely slight modifications of others .
As to the advantages or disadvantages the fact that they went out of use almost entirely says something for there popularity .
That said if you have missing or damaged thumb a side lever can be the answer to your problems it can be used with the heel of the hand as can be for a left handed person who finds a conventional top lever difficult.

Reilly didnt make any of those guns or those actions Argo pictured. Two of them are 100% W&C Scotts and one is JD Dougall lockfast, an action Dougalls patented, produced and sold to the trade along with complete guns.
The Scott hammerless is built on the Scott-Baker parent and was only produced by Scott. The hammer Scott is a basic Scott trade action, used by many gunmakers and retailers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.