March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Marc Ret, Ian Forrester, SKB, eightbore, cpa, 1 invisible), 329 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,000
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 40 of 56 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 55 56
Sidelock
Sidelock

The WW 3/4 oz. loads have made all the difference for me. Against all conventional wisdom, they pattern beautifully. And kill all out of proportion to how they should.

I have worked up a "very close to 3/4 oz. load" of nickel plated no. 8s that will likely have to wait until next season to be truly tested on doves. I had to try to improve on the WW load, but unless the handload shows me something really special, it ain't going to be worth the trouble. We'll see.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice going on the Woodcock, Gil. Tell us again how you cook them. Jim

NRA Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Praiseworthy accomplishment indeed, Stan..... I don't know if it will make me break out my 30" .410 for a try at doves before it expires next week......

The casual September Dove gunner will usually find his comeuppance when he gets his first exposure to a wind blown field of big, wary, well experienced late season Mourners.... Two different games....
I had my hands full yesterday on similar quarry , and was shooting a 32" 20 bore with LOTS of choke...I don't know if time , and or enough opportunities inside 30 yards would have gotten me a .410 limit even if I was performing at your level.....Nice job....

Boxlock
Boxlock

Hello Daryl!
The first gun is very rare French O&U gun made by Revolie
The second one you know - superbritte
The third one is Germany gun without triggers...
Regards Marat

Sidelock
Sidelock

Marat, can you give us any history or more pictures of the Revolie ? It looks like a fun gun, but so different.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim, olive oil, salted and peppered, roasted at 500 degrees, plucked and whole, until rare to medium rare. Gil

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jeff, Floyd, Abby, Willa and I (dog wrangler and flusher) hunted a new place today with good results. Floyd's Ithaca SKB 100, my Darne R10 and Jeff's Uggie, all 20 ga. Beautiful day with an early start to hunt while still cool; easy on both the four-legged and two-legged old dogs. Some good dog work today. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Floyd is real smart guy, prudent with his money, knows value!

gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hey all, well, today was the last day of our bird hunting season. For us, it was a tough one. I have to say it's been the worst season I've had in many a year. Bird numbers were way down, lots of lost cover due to last years drought and the weather was screwy as well. Still, it's always great to get out with my son and of course my Raina. The best part of this season is it was a safe one. No one got hurt, both man and dog. I only hope that this winter will be a mild one and nesting season is good. We need a rebound. Thanks to all who have made so many nice comments and kind words on the pictures and posts that I've made this season. They truly are appreciated! One last thanks to the good Lord and St Hubert for helping us get the birds we did.

Jim and I went out east yesterday to hunt one of friends farm (by Pettibone), they got a lot more snow and drifting than we did. Some areas were dry, but for the most part the snow was pretty deep, tough getting thru in some areas. I did manage one, but Jim didn't connect. I used my 12b Henry Atkin

Today (the last day) it was pretty windy (20+mph). I hunted around around the house and was darn lucky to get a couple. Raina did very well today, even in the wind we had. So a good ending to the season. I was using my 12ga Siace

And one tired pup

Best,

Greg

Last edited by gjw; 01/06/19 08:14 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you Jon and Paul. It is fun. I am still learning about the chokes that came with the gun, C,IC, M and F. The F is .034". That is a very, very tight constriction for a .410, but it shows promise on the pattern plate. Haven't tried it on doves yet. Have only used a combination of IC and M, which has worked admirably so far. A really good shot, which I am not, could get some fabulous results with that F choke tube, based on what I saw on the plate.

The trick for me with these tiny guns is the shooting style employed. I cannot shoot them the same way I do my long barreled 20s or 16s, especially not the 12s. With them I intercept the bird, track it very briefly, then hammer. With the .410s, and even some of my very lightweight 20s or 16s, I find that I must almost snap shoot the bird. Since I am wanting the dove to get closer for a .410 anyway I wait a bit longer, on an incomer, for the bird to get closer before I make my move. The old blues song says, "Never make your move too soon". I remind myself of that when shooting the .410s. When I do make my move to mount I fire almost as soon as the gun hits my shoulder pocket. No tracking, no sustained lead. It's almost an instinctive type of shot, and it works for me with the lil' guns. Trick is, I have to make myself do it that way. It's not natural for me, and by the time I've reverted to that shooting style again I've already racked up a bevy of misses.

Maybe time will help that. I know one thing .............I'm having the most fun shooting doves I've ever had in my life. Here's to a 75%, late season, .410 dove day.

Best, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 40 of 56 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 55 56

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.