May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (smlekid, grouse28, SKB, Ian Forrester, bushveld, 1 invisible), 615 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,496
Posts545,393
Members14,412
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 25 1 2 3 4 24 25
Sidelock
Sidelock

My long range plan is to sell all my SXS guns and keep just two O/Us... 12 and 20 Berettas. Sold three sxs guns in the last few months.

People say I shoot my O/Us better anyway.

Wanna buy a Francotte sxs 12 anybody?

Sidelock
Sidelock

The video makes some good points. Like Gil, I'm looking for the guns to be bought at 10% of their value. Here's another view of the auction state in the UK UK Auctions .

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

The popularity of O/U against SxS is simply a matter of promotion by the shooting press . I would like to correct the Novice gun salesman. You point a shotgun at your clay /bird , you DO NOT aim.
Side by sides can shoot standard proof steel cartridges exactly the same as a standard proof O/U .
The gunshops here in England do not value SxS highly because there is very little demand to buy . Write a few articles such as read in the superb publication DGJ and you could then watch the value of SxS's increase . A well made H&H , Purdey or Boss etc., still commands good money . In fact many post WW11 Birmingham SxS will still cost the inflation increased price that they were new 70 years ago . A BSA boxlock retailed for about $5 in 1953 but a good condition ( not new obviously ) it would cost you $3,000 possibly over here today.

Last edited by salopian; 01/23/19 01:09 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Little Creek

Wanna buy a Francotte sxs 12 anybody?

Ill give you a hundred...

Sidelock
Sidelock

I belong to a couple of hunting sights and I'm pretty much considered and eccentric old fart that I'd even consider a sxs a good waterfowl shotgun let alone for use on predators, even more so for thinking two triggers are better than one. O/U are somewhat accepted I think because of there proliferation on the trap and skeet fields, but have one with two triggers and it is a pariah.

I love them and they work for me, but I'm old (62 licensed hunting seasons). I have time to wait for the right shot, experience to bring birds in closer and don't consider success by a full limit. A great day is a couple ducks for dinner and a called coyote or two during the day. I always have tomorrow. Even when I was working I'd take weeks at a time during hunting season for trips rarely having to rush out on the weekend and compete with the masses or get myself into places the average hunter couldn't get to with his 16ft outboard duck boat and huge spread of decoys, a small spread in a little backwater that I had to get out and pull the canoe or skiff into produced birds.

The birds look a little rumpled, they traveled a mile or so in a backpack with a halfdozen decoys.

An ounce of NP BB's will ruin a little Quail munchers day, this one happens to have a rifle barrel too incase he decides to take in the view a ways out.

Last edited by oskar; 01/23/19 01:24 PM.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I visited Portland OR over Christmas. Was astonished to see a very fat wild cayote walking down the street with an arrogant swagger and a collar. Turns out Portlandia is humane; they put radio collars on the cayotes in the city limits. That doesn't keep them from breeding like rabbits and hunting down domestic cats.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Munching down domestic cats is a very welcome service I would think. That "quail muncher" probably saved more quail lives that it took, when it was munching on, or at least scarring the bejesus out of, countless other mammals that are better quail munchers than he.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gun Library--Our area Cabela's has quite a few overpriced -IMO anyway_ side-by-sides-- They have a nice looking, albiet heavy Parker DHE- 12- 28" Titanic barrels, beavertail forarm, PG, skeleton buttplate, DT, EJ, and on the tag is noted "Refinished By DelGrego.

I asked the "Librarian" if they had a signed letter on letterhead from Del Grego to document this- He said- "No, but the man they bought it from told them it was a DelGrego re-do". Nice gun, NO. 2 frame, a tad heavy for a field gun. but worth $6500?? RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

The situation is even worse for side-by-side flintlock and percussion shotguns. They have been obsolete for an even longer period of time, and replaced by more efficient cartridge firing guns. That's why you can't even give them away.

If the demand for solid wood and steel guns finished by expensive hand labor is declining, that just indicates poor taste and bad judgement to me. I like them even better when they have those dangerous Damascus barrels that would cost as much as a small car to duplicate today.

BrentD tells us once again that coyotes are actually good for wild bird populations. Here's a few pics of coyotes saving game birds from death by lead poisoning. Has anyone considered that game bird populations have fallen dramatically ever since nutty ecologists like BrentD started managing the resource?:

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith
The situation is even worse for side-by-side flintlock and percussion shotguns. They have been obsolete for an even longer period of time, and replaced by more efficient cartridge firing guns. That's why you can't even give them away.

Yeah, I wish.
O.M

Page 2 of 25 1 2 3 4 24 25

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.