March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (CJF, Jimmy W, AZMike, Hugh Lomas, eightbore, 1 invisible), 605 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 24 25
#534700 01/23/19 10:55 AM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Woke up this morning to find an interesting video in my YouTube feed that's relatively new (published two weeks ago) from a young (or at least youngish) Brit about the decline of the side-by-side. I don't know him from Adam but he seems to be involved in the gun trade and shooting sports and, while he's a fan of the side-by-side, he's got bad news for those who share his fondness.

He concludes they're losing out in a trend that's probably irreversible. He explains the reasons why and also touches on the subject of valuations, which comes up for discussion here, too, now and then.

One question I have after watching the video: If the value of side-by-sides in the UK has dropped to the extent he says it has (and he should know) then why do the prices not seem to reflect that at the U.S. dealer websites I visit? (I'm thinking of 2 that either specialize in Brit guns or always seem to have a lot of them.)

Anyhow, the video is pretty short (under 7 minutes) and might be of interest to some folks here. I'd be interested in reading the reactions here of those who do watch it if anyone cares to react.

Video is here: https://bit.ly/2CGOyTv

Last edited by UpInMichigan; 01/23/19 10:57 AM.
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

This topic comes up regularly here on the board and among my clients as well. The real change is the lack of interest in the old guns from the younger hunters, or simply declining demand. I buy in the UK and sell here and can tell you overhead is brutal. My costs are in the multiple thousands of dollars per shipment. Double shotguns move slow here, combine that with the lag time on permits both here and in the UK and pretty soon you have your money tied up for quite a bit of time. Then factor in the consignment portion of your favorite dealer's inventory. I set the prices on the guns I own, I have to work with the seller to establish the price on his goods. Many of these guys bought at the peak of the market and are trying to not take a loss. Most are in for a surprise. I have been selling quite a few guns lately but very few SxS shotguns. The good news is many of my clients are picking up some great buys. That is my take.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

I cannot believe the child in that video used the phrase: "When I was a kid." I think he might have been right though...Geo

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
I cannot believe the child in that video used the phrase: "When I was a kid." I think he might have been right though...Geo

Heh heh. I thought the same thing. Actually, he reminds me just a little bit of Prince Harry. Not a lot, but just a little.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My skin started crawling when the kid mentioned semi-autos. I believe I would have fainted if he’d have said anything about pump guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

An excellent video and a fine young man. He was articulate, knew his subject, sympathetic and more than that, obviously is enthusiastic about gun sports. I like the wall cabinets behind him which seem to be built from gun shipping boxes. And, I don't think you can dispute what he says anymore than you can dispute that electric cars, with a simple machine made engine, really are here to stay. There are a lot of semi-automatics at my clay range (a public range), and my own son, bless his soul, prefers the pointing characteristics of my old 1970's Remington 870 that I gave him a few years ago of all things.

For myself, though, there is a beauty in my few SxS's that I won't give up. I didn't spend a fortune for them - they aren't retirement or collection pieces. I just plain like them, like to shoot them and like the questions asked about them. I just wish I knew where are the £3-4,000 guns being sold for $40.

Last edited by Argo44; 01/23/19 12:17 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

As a public service, perhaps our friends across the pond can send us those $3-4K doubles for $60 apiece and we can send them back $20 per gun for their troubles and to remove these inaccurate guns from their grasps. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Argo44
For myself, though, there is a beauty in my few SxS's that I won't give up. I didn't spend a fortune for them - they aren't retirement or collection pieces. I just plain like them, like to shoot them and like the questions asked about them. I just wish I knew where are the £3-4,000 guns being sold for $40.

Likewise on all points. I don't know if I'm considered young or old, at 52, but regardless I love them above all other firearms and that's set for the remainder of my years I think. If I have anyone to pass guns down to, what makes them special will also be passed down.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've noticed it at a lot of the gun shows I go to that the interest in doubles is declining, i have personally gotten some really good deals in the last year or so, i've picked up quite a few guns in the $200 to $600 range that you couldn't have touched 10 or 15 years ago for those prices, i brought a gun to cabelas the other day to see what they would give me for it, a 12g belgian with ivory beads and ejectors,not perfect but a great solid shooter, the guy in the gun library told me they weren't buying side by sides because the market is getting soft and they have been selling what they have at a loss a lot of the time....

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush
Sidelock
Sidelock

For me the sxs's I own represent memories of ownership, as well as the hunts and birds taken. The occasional high scores at sxs meets adds to that.
While holding and looking at them I can reminisce all of it, and you can't buy that. They represent a grace and beauty not often available today.
Karl

Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 24 25

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.