March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (eightbore), 827 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 24 25
Sidelock
Sidelock

keith, it may not be poor taste or bad judgement in many cases. What to do when we lose interest in using and looking at them? I sold a mint circa 1800 Brown Bess about 25 years ago to a New England antique dealer for $US2200 and bought a 686. It seemed practical to me. Possessions are sometimes a burden. Declining interest may have a lot to do with reloading for our great, old American classics.

Sidelock
Sidelock

one would think it began when the superposed hit the market, along with the model 32 Remington. seems to me, ever since...people like today chasing gizmos, went for the latest gizmo, (stacked bbls) and the old sbs began to lose favor?

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
https://606f79f3c2431.site123.me/
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: King Brown
keith, it may not be poor taste or bad judgement in many cases. What to do when we lose interest in using and looking at them? I sold a mint circa 1800 Brown Bess about 25 years ago to a New England antique dealer for $US2200 and bought a 686. It seemed practical to me. Possessions are sometimes a burden. Declining interest may have a lot to do with reloading for our great, old American classics.

If you had sold a collectible 1969 Camaro when the muscle car market declined in order to finance the purchase of a Beretta 686, you might have taken a bath. Conversely, if you had sold the same 1969 Camaro when muscle cars were at their peak, you would have considered yourself an astute collector with good sense.

When we decide to acquire or collect material objects, there is always the risk that the tastes of the market will change for the better or worse. I think the ability to buy beautiful hand-finished labor intensive high quality shotguns at bargain basement prices is going to be a moment in history that many gun owners will regret not getting into. I've been wrong about other investments, but I could never enjoy shooting or hunting with a stock certificate.

Liberals like you may not wish to admit it, but the demand for high capacity semi-auto rifles and handguns is largely driven by the perception that they might become unattainable because of the efforts of anti-gun Democrats. Nancy Pelosi was promising new anti-gun laws before she was even sworn in as House Speaker. Kalifornia Liberal Left Democrat Rep. Eric Swalwell has introduced legislation to spend $15 BILLION to confiscate semi-auto rifles from law abiding U.S. citizens. He even hinted that the U.S. military could be used to enforce his semi-auto ban. Democrats refuse to spend $5 Billion to secure our southern border from a 40 year invasion by upwards of 30 million illegals, but he is willing to spend three times as much to violate our 2nd Amendment.

Democrat Threat to use U.S. Military to confiscate guns

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Whatever....no one uses fountain pens anymore either.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There are over 2,400 SXS shotguns on Gunbroker right now. I count only 64 have bids and over half of those are just fishing.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm waiting to see how the high end double gun dealers fare with the "slump" in the market for some of those great guns: Parker, L.C. Smith, A.H.Fox, Win M21 and others-- I've been getting over the Winter "Cabin Fever" syndrome by watching some of the Dave Carrie shooting videos on U-Tube. Almost all the "guns" are using "stacked barrel double guns"-- including my favorite shooter, George Digweed.

I'm about as close to owning or even shooting a Boss or Woodward or a Holland & Holland "game gun" as I am to being the next Pope, but I am of the opinion that many of those "marque" shotguns were made to fit the original purchaser- especially in terms of "Cast", either cast on, or cast off. restocking any of those fine handmade guns could be a "deep pockets" scenario.

Looked to me that Digweed shoots a Perazzi O/U- what a shot on long range pigeons, crows, pheasant-- I am guessing he uses that same O/U for competition clays as well.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Decline of the Side-by-Side

This is by no means breaking news. Im 47 and the SxSs where gone (as the norm) before I was born. Only a few diehard gun enthusiast use them in the area that I live in. Im one of the few.

There is also a decline in guns that are well made of all types.

What disappoints me the most is that most people my age and younger have no pride in the guns that they shoot. Its a tool only.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eeb
Whatever....no one uses fountain pens anymore either.

Actually, some of us, often older, still do, for the same reasons that some shoot sxs shotguns.

In addition, there is a bit of fountain pen revival among the younger generation.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/26/style/fountain-pens.html

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
There are over 2,400 SXS shotguns on Gunbroker right now. I count only 64 have bids and over half of those are just fishing.

Right now on E bay, there are 156,788 listings for Beanie Babies. There are no bids for the vast majority of them, but 15-20 years ago, toy collectors were clamoring for these mass produced little Chinese made items. The market for worthless cardboard mass produced baseball cards is even worse. Hummel figurines anyone...???

Any company in China could replicate these, or a lot of other things that collectors demanded. But no one will be able to produce quality doubleguns for the kind of prices we are able to buy them. The time to buy is when there is panic in a market, and blood in the streets. We might not be seeing the bottom of double gun prices quite yet, but it will come and go soon enough. Just look at the current prices for WWII surplus military crap that languished for a song in bargain racks and barrels in every gun shop and hardware store when you were kids. Go buy me a $25.00 Krag or 95 Mauser today. What are the total production numbers on those compared to L.C. Smith, Parker, or Lefever shotguns?

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The high grade guns new and vintage will always command top prices...the lower grade vintage guns will always be stuck in a rut.

Most people see a SxS and dollar signs start flashing...prime example are the people that come on here thinking they've found the crown jewels.

Page 3 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 24 25

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.