May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (gil russell, Thymepeace, 1 invisible), 208 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,530
Posts545,888
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 25 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 24 25
Sidelock
Sidelock

Calibre/Item: 12G
Make: Holland & Holland
Barrel Length: 30 inches
Condition: Excellent
Price: $6995
Advertised: 14/12/2018
Comment: Safari Firearms Christmas Bonanza Sale. 12G Holland and Holland slashed from $16,950 to $6995...

An advert on used guns au.
O.M

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
"It's Lonely at the Top". I'll just continue shooting my SxS no matter how lonely it gets. I'm pushing mighty hard on 81 yrs, my Lefevers are older than me, but all of them will outlive me by a long margin.

Here's another old one: "Better has always been the enemy of good enough." Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: buzz
Stan, you live in rural America. Maybe things are booming where you live, but it just isnt so for the rest of America. Hunting statistics are down. And, a small study population in rural Georgia is insignificant in terms of the overall data for the entire United States. Dont take my word for it: Check out the US Fish and Wildlife statistics on that (although they are likely on government shutdown now).

I was not disputing your statement that upland hunting is dying. I was simply making a statement about my area. I don't need to look up statistics to know that your statement is true for America in general. It's obvious.

Maybe the reason it's still so strong here is that most of the people I know who hunt small game have introduced their children and grandchildren to it ..............and for some reason it "stuck". Shotgunning in general is very strong here, with more school and 4H shotgun teams than in any time in history. Yes, things are "booming" here, especially with the youth and shotguns. They're not shooting S x Ss, but they'll certainly never have any interest in one if they don't start shooting some kind of shotgun.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 01/25/19 08:05 AM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan that's the way it is at my gun club....packed with young high school kids.
It's good to see....Sadly most never return.

As you know most Game and Fish commissions in the South concentrate the majority of their efforts promoting deer hunting.

The way guys deer hunt now is the most boring form of hunting ever known to man.

They need to be promoting small game hunting...it's exciting and can possibly hold a kids attention.
I've always felt that no kid should ever be allowed to big game hunt without going through some amount of small game hunting.

In the South little if any effort is made to actually restore quail.

Up North their license prices are cheap compared to ours yet in states like Pennsylvania and New York they raise and release Pheasants every year...we have nothing upland to hunt unless you like rabbit or squirrel hunting.

By some a Dove may be considered an upland game bird but to me sitting over a grain field shooting at Doves should not be spoke in the same sentence with upland game hunting.

Down South deer remains supreme...on some NWR and WMA's in Tennessee you can't squirrel or rabbit hunt during some of their deer seasons.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: craigd
Originally Posted By: mark
....Its hard to get excited about a new birdgun when there is little bird hunting to get excited about in the country....
I think Mark hit the nail on the head. Upland hunting is dying, along with that goes the SxS.

Tell that to the millennial, they are the ones dragging down the statistics, its not my generation. They dont hunt and fish like the baby boomers do/did....

....Hunting statistics are down. And, a small study population in rural Georgia is insignificant in terms of the overall data for the entire United States. Dont take my word for it: Check out the US Fish and Wildlife statistics on that....

I was commenting that hunting is available, not about its popularity or statistics. Some of the comments seem to be about the dying of the upland bird hunting light in the bird hunters themselves.

Blaming millennials is fine, but I still think the business future of double guns is with people that are comfortable around any firearm. I'd think it's less likely to get a non gunner in the market years from now after their kids are out of college and their houses are paid off.

I don't think the desirability of side by sides is based on their utility to gather poultry. There may be collector or accumulator value that is more than enough to sustain a market. So it's cyclical, what isn't. Business folks will make money at it if they treat it like a business, I know I am not over excited to pay for passion.

I can't say I've ever heard of any upland hunting stories about the beauty of hunting in a crowd. It's always a great thing to have a big spread to yourself, and disappointing to run into a hunter in an area one wanted to work through. The glass is half full Doc Buzz.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Come down South and find you some upland and get back with me....it'll be at a game farm.

Sidelock
Sidelock

trying to revive the sbs in todays culture is a hard sell. youd may have to paint it black and put a pistol grip on it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Turn on the "Outdoor Channel" any time. No upland hunting, just deer and turkey. Upland hunting is not 'video-genic' because it mostly involves miles of walking and little shootin'. Hard to pose a covey rise.

No reason not to have a good squirrel hunt on TV though. Plenty of game. Cute little yappy dogs. Plenty of rabbits around as well, and everyone loves a beagle.

I don't know why we're letting small game hunting get forgotten. My grandson loves a squirrel hunt...Geo

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Quote:
In addition many target shooters are not collectors or accumulators. They tend to have a few tools in the box and shoot the heck out of them.

I've got to take exception to that statement. I hang with the target shooting crowd. I've held positions both local and national with the NSCA and talk with a lot of shooters. The majority of the shooters I know have a collection of shotguns including numerous SXS's that would be the envy of a lot of folks here.

Last edited by Ken Nelson; 01/25/19 09:54 AM.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Turn on the "Outdoor Channel" any time. No upland hunting, just deer and turkey. Upland hunting is not 'video-genic' because it mostly involves miles of walking and little shootin'. Hard to pose a covey rise.

No reason not to have a good squirrel hunt on TV though. Plenty of game. Cute little yappy dogs. Plenty of rabbits around as well, and everyone loves a beagle.

I don't know why we're letting small game hunting get forgotten. My grandson loves a squirrel hunt...Geo

I'm with your grandson on this!!

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Page 10 of 25 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 24 25

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.