April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (RWG, SKB, Ian Forrester, 2 invisible), 1,000 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,105
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#535076 01/26/19 10:29 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

We are in for a solid run of global warming winter, with sub-zero daytime highs, and a night temp on Wednesday to come of about -25. Looking at 6-8 of snow, Sunday evening into Monday morning. Stiff winds out of the Northwest will make for unpleasant outdoor conditions next week.

Good heavens. What to do?

Chilli, of course:

Hamburger, ground pork, chuck steak, poblanos, Anaheims, bell peppers, oregano, masa heraina, and some other stuff. It is not overly hot tasting, white guy chilli, I guess.

Johnny cake (cornbread) in cast iron, the only way Johnny cake should be attempted. I prefer it over charcoal, but, that wasnt in the cards this evening:

I have a honey/butter concoction that goes on the Johnny cake. The beer is a Brazilian import, sort of a wheaty pale that would offend no one. It was good with dinner.

Hope you guys are warm, and eating well.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Funny, we are having the same weather, same dinner.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good looking supper ........... bad sounding weather.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I waited until just before dark to run the dog for a few miles, trying to beat the wind. -1 is not too bad, if there is no wind.

It worked. The wind died down to nothing at dark. Good run, no birds to be seen, although I did see their tracks in the snow.

The wife and I have conspired to keep chilli, pasoli, stew, and a variety of bread on the dinner menu this week.

Gas in the snow blower, the garage furnace keeps the shop at 40 degrees (vehicles that start and run are a good thing) we are ready.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted;
Don't in any way take this wrong, A mighty fine looking supper, except I would just go with a cup of water, or coffee since you aren't making it very Hot.
However, that cornbread is not JohnnyCake, it's way too thick for that.

Here is a description I found for JohnnyCake;
"Johnnycake is a cornmeal flatbread. An early American staple food, it is prepared on the Atlantic coast from Newfoundland to Jamaica. The food originates from the native inhabitants of North America. Wikipedia
Place of origin: United States of America
Alternative names: Jonnycake, shawnee cake, hoecake, johnny cake, journey cake, and johnny bread
Main ingredient: Cornmeal."

Notice the term "FlatBread". One, of course, does not have to be on the coast to enjoy it, I've been eating JohnnyCakes for about 80 years now, likely didn't eat any my first year of life. Here in TN though, we always called them Hoe Cakes, either way, they were less than half as thick as the bread in your picture. Folk-Lore has it in slave days they would take some cornmeal & a jar of Sorghum to the field with them. Come lunchtime they would build a fire in the corner of the field & heat their hoe over it to fry their Hoe Cakes, which they then smeared with the Sorghum. For that meal, I'd even be willing, old as I am, to chop some weeds out of a Cotton Field.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

As I write this, -25F with -36F wind chill.
Um.... good to be inside.
Did a little in the shop, also at 40F

Dumb, but learning...Prof Em, BSc(ME), CAE (FYI)
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Miller,
The recipe for the bread came from the next door neighbor to my parents, when I was a boy. He was a member of the White Earth band of Indians, lived on the reservation most of his life, and moved back late in life. That is what he called it. I was born on the East coast, and moved here as a child.
I dont doubt there is flat cornbread called Johnnycake. I also know this guy, were he still alive, would call what I made the same thing. Unless you tried to make it in a pan that wasnt cast iron, in which case he would have called it shit.
No coffee after 2:00pm or so for me, it makes me fidget in bed. Beer is water. I drink at least one per day.

Today, I will have two.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
We are in for a solid run of global warming winter, with sub-zero daytime highs, and a night temp on Wednesday to come of about -25. Looking at 6-8 of snow, Sunday evening into Monday morning. Stiff winds out of the Northwest will make for unpleasant outdoor conditions next week.

Hope you guys are warm, and eating well.

Best,
Ted

Can you imagine how cold it would be if we didn't have some of that "global warming"?

Sidelock
Sidelock

70 and sunny here today. Dinner in the oven now, roasted potatoes with garlic and rosemary, oryx burgers with shallots and melted cheddar, bottle of cheap Shiraz. Takes the chill off. Winter is just brutal.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Where is "here", Replacement?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.