April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (eightbore, Momslefever), 446 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,160
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

On our 10th wedding anniversary
my bride gave me a Gerber Paul.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like a regular sized "trapper" not the mini ones. I have trappers from Case, Remington, Moore, Carl Schlieper, Tree Brand, Uncle Henry, J.A. Henckels, Schatt & Morgan, and KA-BAR. I like the KA-BAR best, made by the Union Cutlery Company in New York. I use it for every day. It's a "Dog's Head" trapper, serial # 018/500. It came with a Certificate of Authenticity and a beautiful dog's head lapel pin. My best trapper is a custom made trapper by Jim Sasser out of Colorado. It has a "skinner" blade and a "capeing" blade. The "capeing" blade locks and the scales are of elk antler. I use this knife while hunting.
Jim
PS - Wow, I have 8 every day trappers. I must like them!

Last edited by Jim Cloninger; 02/02/19 05:01 PM.

NRA Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have on several occasions been in Smoky Mountain Knifeworks. Its located near Sevierville TN north of Gatlinburg & Pigeon Forge. If you're ever in the area be sure & visit them. Well worth your time.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow- judged by the size of the spurs, and the beard- that was some Tom-- How much did the boy weigh, with feathers, both legs attached, and the beard-?? 20 lbs.??

I got a large Tom this past Oct.- private land, gave it to the farmer for his smoker- watched him dress it out using a Buck folder- didn't take him long with that well-worn Buck knife..

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
I have on several occasions been in Smoky Mountain Knifeworks. Its located near Sevierville TN north of Gatlinburg & Pigeon Forge. If you're ever in the area be sure & visit them. Well worth your time.

Miller, I have visited that store years ago and bought a few knives. Be prepared if you go to spend a lot of time looking at all the different types of knives. I have also bought some knives from them through their email site.

If I don't have a knife in my pocket I feel like I am not fully dressed and always feel to see that I have one.
Right now my carry all is a Gerber Dime, multi-blade and is quite handy. I also carry a Leatherman Squirt.
A thing about Leatherman, their knives are guaranteed for 25 years. I sent two Leatherman Squirts back because one of the plier jaws broke, they replaced them with the newer Squirt.

Last edited by David Williamson; 02/02/19 11:56 AM.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeah, I too like David feel a loss without a blade in my pocket. I'd say Boker or Tree Brand, but don't forget Boker Arbolito is sourced from Argentina. Hen & Rooster would be another. But the knife I tote the most is a Wenger(centre)...

Pocket Knives...

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have made my living in the bindery end of a commercial lithography operation for many years. I have never met a Journeyman, Apprentice, or Journey Production Worker, with more than 2 weeks on the job, who didnt have a pocket knife. Ive given a few JPWs pocket knives over the years, worked at a few shops that had a hard time holding onto staff, and new hires often showed up without a knife.
My pocket knives tend to see some abuse. I prefer stainless, it gets dull fast, but, sharpens up fast.
This one is lightweight, my Dad gave it to me about 2 decades ago: A Schrade SP3:

I run it over a Smiths V block 3-4 times a week.

Favorite pocket knife, is the Benchmade self opener. I dont typically carry it, however, it was a gift from a friend who carried it all over the world in the military, and Minnesota has a prohibition on self openers:

A Buck 500. I liked these, as it came with a sheath, and got the thing out of your pocket, and put it on your belt. In addition to the knife, Ill have a combination tape measure, and keys to the various machines at work in my pocket, and it gets crowded in there. But, people who dont work in the bindery or pressroom, simply dont like to see sheaths hanging off the grunts, and complain to management about it.
I simply dont press the issue, any longer:

Frost Cutlery:

Ill bet Ive given ten of these away, mostly to new bindery staff. You can get two at a gun show for $20, at least you used to be able to. Decent steel, not irreplaceable, good everyday knife for a new guy in printing, and he will use it every work day.

Hubertus self opener:

Another gift from a friend. German rostfree blade, stag handle, nickle
bolsters, and some decent file work on the back of the blade. Very handy little knife, and not used often-see above.

Like the rest of my stuff, not a collection, more of an accumulation.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Victorinox 24/7. Well, almost smile

Cheers,
Jani

Sidelock
Sidelock

Carrying a knife here in the UK is rather politically incorrect these days, a lot of knife crime in recent years has reduced the carrying of even a pocket pen knives.
It is a thing the older generation like my self do now because the chances of having to explain why you are carrying one diminishes with age if stopped by a police officer.
That said this is my pocket knife given to me sometime in my teens, it is obvious from the picture a Victorinox Swiss Army model that shows the scars of having been dropped more times than I can remember over the last 50 plus years.
I have pulled out the most useful pieces it has to offer, Corkscrew well not all wine comes in bottles with a twist off top, Positive/Phillips, it is a it will do version of both. Bottle opener Beer usually, 2 screwdrivers large/small. Can opener, finally at my age the most important of all X10 magnifying glass when you forget your spectacles.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

My personal every day utility pocket knife is a Victorinox Swiss Army "Spartan".
It has 2 blades, can and bottle opener/screwdriver combos and corkscrew.
Just the right size in my opinion.

https://www.smkw.com/victorinox-spartan-red-composition

Last edited by Matt Stolley; 02/02/19 01:32 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Matt
aka Iowa_303
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.