March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (graybeardtmm3, Jeremy Pearce, 1 invisible), 857 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not recommended, but, on several occasions I have walked through metal detectors with the little Schrade in my pocket, forgetting it was there. They have missed it, every time. The handle is some sort of glass filled plastic.
I truly forget I have the little guy on me.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I still have the first knife my Papaw gave me. One of my first loves as a boy was that knife. I like to carry a small Eisenhower style case with me now.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 67galaxie
I still have the first knife my Papaw gave me. One of my first loves as a boy was that knife. I like to carry a small Eisenhower style case with me now.

How I wish I still had my first knife, a 'Kamp King' given to me at what would now be considered an insufficient age. No better way to teach a child about responsibility and the fact that he is trusted if he behaves himself. My dad carried a pocket knife and of course I wanted to also. I cherished that thing but of course one day it just disappeared.

Do to this thread and the fact that I just can't resist the damn internet, a new GEC #44 is now on the way. This one is a 'gunstock' pattern with 1095 blades and cocobolo scales branded 'Northfield Un-X-ld'.

It won't replace the Kamp King. Nothing ever will.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've carried a Kershaw lockblade with 2 blades for 20-25 years, it was gifted by a dear friend and I'm never without it. No body mentioned Kershaw so I had to throw it into the mix.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

This may sound silly, but I've been using the same standard 4-blade Boy Scout knife for almost 35 years now. Bought it when I was an adult leader. Not the first knife I had, but it does the job. Takes a nice edge, holds it, and stands up to abuse. Don't use the can opener - carry a P38 - and the screwdriver/bottle opener gets minimal use in these days of twist-offs. The awl works great. Made by Imperial in Providence, I think I got my $6 (or whatever it cost back in the 80s) out of it.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

My everyday carry pocket knife is an Opinel No 8, inexpensive but holds a good edge.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've had more than a handful of pocket knives over the years and there have been some coveted but never bought. The old Remington Bullet series is one such knife which has been around since 1920 in various models. Mr. Boyd, long since dead, was a local collector and had several. There are modern reproductions. Aside from the ones mentioned, Puma is another outstanding German knife. While a car in this state is entitled to an antique tag after 25 years; even though I've had my Gerbers for at least that long, they are hardly vintage or valuable from a monetary standard. Use value is another matter. My personal favorite is the little Gerber E-Z Out with a 2.25" blade, lock back, one-handed opener, stainless blade, and a 1" long serrated section. It has a belt clip which was put on by Gerber to insure loss and turnover sales. I've lost several over the years and resigned to keep them in the pocket rather than clipped to a belt. I carry mine hunting and fishing saltwater and fresh. No rust. The serrated section is invaluable for cutting cordage or even rope without dulling the front section. I don't know when serration first appeared on pocket knives, but it is a great innovation.
From June through October I keep this mushroom knife in the truck. My daughter bought it for me before she moved back from France almost 5 years ago. It's nothing fancy, not hollow ground, but it works for the purpose intended and it was the thought behind it that counts the most. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some have mentioned their boy scout knife. I still have mine around here somewhere. It may have been my first knife, but I doubt it.. Can't remember not having a pocket knife..Geo

GLS #536136 02/03/19 12:44 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey, Gil. I got my Opinel in Paris. Super light, holds edge. Carry mine every day. Inexpensive, too.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Der Ami
No body mentioned Kershaw so I had to throw it into the mix.
Mike

Originally Posted By: Stan
My favorite one blade, easy opening knife is a Kershaw Leek. Excellent steel in that knife.

Originally Posted By: Stan

I switch around on what I carry for everyday, according to what time of year it is, which dictates what we're doing on the farm. Right now it's the Case trapper, but later in the spring it will probably be the Kershaw Leek, for ease of getting to, and opening. Assisted openers are nice when you've got one hand occupied and need to get the knife out and open quickly.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.