May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Hugh Lomas, Buzz), 447 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,499
Posts545,462
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Buck 382, 3" 2-blade trapper. This was a gift from my late son-in-law at least 10 years ago, but less than 20, don't recall the exact time now. The "Skinner" blade is marked China. In spite of the China mark, I have carried this knife a lot. It seems to take a good edge & hold it well, I have had no complaint with its performance for my purposes. It is for me a very useful size.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

KY Jon is absolutely right about early bidding on E bay or any other auction. All you do is give the competition time to think and decide to spend more. And I have always searched for Ithaca items under the correct spelling , and the incorrect spelling "Ithica." When you search under "Ithica" your only competition is guys who can't spell. Unfortunately, there are a lot of them.

I once was typing too fast when doing a search on E bay for French Walnut gunstock blanks. I misspelled it "Frech" walnut, and four nice two-piece blanks popped up listed with the same misspelling. I was the only bidder, and naturally won for the very reasonable starting bid. They actually had correct grain layout, unlike a lot of wood sold on E bay, and when the guy shipped them, he threw in four extra forend blanks. But good deals on E bay are few and far between anymore.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

RWG Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chuck H
Looks like Queen Cutlery closed up about a year ago. They were the oldest continuous knife maker in the states. Opened under Schatt & Morgan in 1902 and became Queen in 1933 and produced under both labels.

Chuck H:

You are correct. FWIW a number of unfinished and seconds from Queen and S&M come up on Ebay. Buyer beware.

For a carry knife I am partial to Case Slimline trappers. Most are single blades. But, occasionally a run of two blade Slimline trappers hit the market. The single blade is quite useful for most of my needs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: riflegunbuilder
Stan, I just bought a German Tree Brand Stockman with yellow bone handles. I liked it so much I ordered another while they were available.

Good knife. Do they still have "Solingen" embossed on the big clip blade?

Good to hear from you, old friend. Been a long time .......too long.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chuck H
Looks like Queen Cutlery closed up about a year ago. They were the oldest continuous knife maker in the states. Opened under Schatt & Morgan in 1902 and became Queen in 1933 and produced under both labels.

I bought a used Queen Steel stag handled two blade "trapper" back in 1970, while in college. It is an impressive, big knife. It has been sharpened so many times the blades no longer resemble their original shapes. I still have it. The clip blade is stamped at the base "Q Steel".

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I googled Buck model 382 yesterday. I found the Buck site & that they have a "History" service. They actually request a picture, but I didn't send one. They said an answer could take up to two weeks, but I received one via email this morning. Seems the 382 trapper was introduced in 2006 using 420HC steel in the blades. The down-pointing arrow following the 3/82 on the clip blade is a date code which said mine was made in 2007. My Son-in-law was killed in an auto accident Jan 3, 2008, so I am thinking he gave me this knife for Christmas about a month before he was killed.

I suppose I should put it in the safe for keeping it safe, but it just means a lot more to me in my pocket, so I'll keep carrying it & hope I don't lose it.

Also did a search on 420HC & found it contains 45% carbon & 18% Chrome. It normally hardens to about 55 RC & is considered one of the better stainless steels for knife blades, following closely 440C. In spite of the fact I generally prefer a high carbon steel blade, I have been very pleased with this knife. I have generally found that point of origin is more a matter of Pride than actual metallurgy. I would prefer it said USA than China, but this fact has not actually hurt the usefulness of this knife.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Must say I'm with those who carry a Victorinox. A pocket knife daily carry for me must be reasonably light and not too big. I have the "waiter" model with a large cutting blade, a small screw driver/bottle opener with wire-stripping groove, and the corkscrew. The knife has a toothpick, very indifferent quality pair of tweezers, and a very small eyeglass screwdriver that itself screws into the corkscrew. Won't admit how many TSA now owns as I forget to put them in checked baggage....

Now, when I'm in Africa hunting --- but that's a whole different thread.

Regards

Sidelock
Sidelock

FWIW-- First shop rule I learned at age 13- Never, ever touch another man's tools or go into his tool chest. Don't borrow tools either- My Granddad taught me that a thief is lower than a snake's hindmost tit- and a thief that steals another man's tools (pocket knives included) is the worst of all, as he is depriving that man of the means to provide for his family-- RWTF

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 02/05/19 06:28 PM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

I just remembered.....when I was working for the railroad on their fueling systems they would not allow me to carry a pocket knife. Something about not considering it a tool....never figured that one out.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
RWG Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.