March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (bushveld, docbill, Dave Weber, cable, 2 invisible), 339 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

The screw is a keeper for the ejectors/extractors.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

There are BSW & Simson catalogues, which are the only means of determining a modell seeing the concerns are defunct & the families are long gone. I'll check to see what I might have.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Per the Simson catalogue, which would be pre-BSW, it would be a Modell Nr. 73 or 74. Does it have an automatic safety and what are the tube lengths?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SKB

What I am viewing is the doll's head well....

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ellenbr
Originally Posted By: SKB

What I am viewing is the doll's head well....

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

If you are referring to the screw in the slot on the bottom side of the top rib extension, below and behind the hole for the Greener bolt, then that is indeed a keeper for the ejectors. You can see the screw is absent where it is normally seen on the water table or in the lug.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Der Ami
Raimey,
Of course you are right about BSW, I didn't take the time to look it up. Unless I missed it again, Emil Kerner added an interrupting sear to the Anson and Deeley action, so I believe we are thinking of the same thing.

Actually, Kerner's contribution to the Anson action was not an interrupting sear, but a relocation of the sear, allowing a very light trigger pull with increased safety.

Here is a sketch of the Kerner-Anson action and a photo of my Kerner-Anson drilling:

ENM
Unregistered
ENM
Unregistered

Hello Raimey! I just got another look at that BSW. The safety does automatically reset when opened. Also the barrel length is 32 inches. I would really like a value on this gun for my father-in-law. It is really difficult to put a number on it. Thanks, Ed

Sidelock
Sidelock

ENM: First of all, no one has taken the time to welcome you to the site, so please accept this as your welcome.

You have a very nice gun there, obviously a higher-end piece from the engraving, etc. Not the typical engraving for a German gun - that would more likely have been figurative than the scrolls and such you have. So I will go along with this gun having possibly been made with either the export market or fanciers of American/English style guns in mind.

Now, on to the questions.

First, I'm a little dubious about the state of the receiver. Most receivers of that vintage were color case-hardened and yours appears to be a relatively uniform dun blue color. That uniform coloring would not necessarily exclude the gun being unfired (or only lightly used), but it raises a question: was this gun re-hardened, used and blued, or did it come that way?

Second, I'm left to wonder exactly what it is that is on the face of the right barrel's standing breech (where the firing pin protrudes) and also in the angle between the standing breech and the watertable. In the angle, it appears to be rust, and a lot of it. On the breech face, it appears almost like someone dropped a bead of weld metal (or other metal) on it. That corner is a very bad place to have rust or damage as it is one of the highest-stress points during firing. So we need to hear and see more.

Third, I'm a little dubious about exactly what the patterns of light and shadow on the receiver's watertables are from. That area is almost never anything but plain and flat, with required proofing stamps the only markings. Your pictures show odd shapes - they could be from some episode of heating or something else.

Without more information on what's going on in those places and with the color of the receiver, it's impossible to give an estimate of the price because it's really impossible to know what the actual condition (and history, as reflected in condition) of the gun is. The quality and coverage of the engraving points at a higher value, but if the mechanics are bad or compromised, all the engraving in the world won't change that.

This is one, IMHO, that needs an in-hand inspection by a really good smith experienced with doubleguns or a very knowledgeable prospective buyer.

And, as noted above this was a Simson gun made under the BSW name, sold through a retailer in Berlin. Interestingly the proof date of 7/36 means it may have been made in anticipation of the Olympics of that year to sell to visitors to Berlin in that time, but that's just speculation on my part.

Last edited by Dave in Maine; 02/03/19 11:18 AM.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
ENM
Unregistered
ENM
Unregistered

Hi Dave and thank you for the welcome to the Site!
In regards to your questions:
First The gun was purchased during as you see it. I cannot tell you why the receiver has the color it does.
Second the odd things on the face of the breech are bugs! Yeah I know it needs a cleaning! Pretty funny stuff.
Third the patterns on the water table areas appear to be almost like an acid etched “pattern” I am guessing for decoration? Like adding a “jeweled” pattern to a bolt rifle bolt.
Yes I figure a value would be difficult to achieve. My father-in-law just wants to know if he has a $500 or a $5000 gun. Our next step may be just giving it a good cleaning after I bust a few clays with it then putting it away again.
Thank you so much for your input!

Sidelock
Sidelock

ENM:

I would say it is a historical piece & even a rare piece for the Simson/Waffa/BSW/Gustloff-Werke evolution. Rare pieces aren't necessarily valued highly nor does history add much in the eyes of most potential purchasers. But considering the above, along with replacement value, insurance, etc. I would hazard a guess a range of $1800 U.S. of A. to $2200. But putting it on an auction site or out for bid is the only true way to determine a realized value.

Then you get a bit of a dose of reality w/ Rocketman's value calculus:

"I value vintage guns reasonably accurately by combining Original Quality grade (OQ), Brand Value level (BV), and Current Condition level (CC). So, I'll assume this was between a second and third grade OQ gun (OQ6 to OQ7); say, 1/3 good engraving coverage, good figured wood, and good fit and finish. The brand value level for BSW is level four or BV4 (lessor known Continental makers, often associated with modest quality guns). Assume the Current Condition is between CC3 (significant use) and CC4 (heavy use, but no abuse). BV4-OQ6-CC3 = $1160, BV4-OQ6-CC4 = $883, BV4-OQ7-CC3 = $810, and BV4-OQ7-CC4 = $616. See if you can fit the gun as you see/remember it into that matrix......"

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=389449&page=all

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.