March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Cold1, CJF, Jimmy W, Hugh Lomas, AZMike, 1 invisible), 602 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 25 of 97 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 96 97
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hey jOe. See first page. I thought about owning a double for many years. In November 2015 I went out to a gun show near Dulles Airport to buy a Thompson. I came back with a Reilly - my first ever double. It still is the most perfectly fitted gun for me. I don't hunt much anymore, maybe once a year in Missouri - one of my VN compatriots, who served many years abroad in other capacities with me, has a farm there. But I do shoot clays about every week or two here.

I got interested in when the gun was made, found a confused mess about Reilly history, and got into it. And I subsequently spent a lot of time in a desert region abroad with nothing much else to do. The more I delved into 19th century newspapers the more interesting it became and history really did come alive,.

jOe, sometimes you are funny; Many times you are just mean-spirited and vicious...but Alabamians expect that from Tennesseans, you know. Anyway, it all can be read above....oh wait a minute, we Alabamians know that's a difficult skill for a Tennessean...but there are a lot of pics. smile (Frank, just good naturerdly giving you as good as I get. smile

Last edited by Argo44; 07/30/19 10:48 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've researched every gun I've owned from 160 years old to 10 years old...

But I never cared how many times James Purdey, W.C.Scott or John Browning had a bowel movement in a day.

Those 3 were the only real innovators in my opinion...the rest were just followers.

Reilly made some nice guns or had some nice guns made...who cares he was a follower.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Argo44
...but Alabamians expect that from Tennesseans, you know. Anyway, it all can be read above....oh wait a minute, we Alabamians know that's a difficult skill for a Tennessean...

Preach on Argo44 & pass the plate as I live w/ a Tennessean.....

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe

Those 3 were the only real innovators in my opinion...the rest were just followers.

Yeah & they were all following the Bohemians & the Germans as the rest were playing tiddlywinks.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've always had trouble understanding your Bohemians & the German gun e'ffliction for lack of a better word....

They made nice rifles but I've never seen one of their shotguns I'd own.

While the English and American gun makers were playing "tittlywinks"...start a thread and show us what they offered that stood the test of time.

James Purdey the double under bite...W.C. Scott the top lever...John Browning gun designs too numerous to list and a lot still in use today.

Start a thread and top those 3.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not sure how I was badged w/ "Belgian gun e'ffliction(sic)(affliction)" phrase but that is just a facade. Belgium is a good ways from Bohemia.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've always had trouble understanding your Bohemians & the German gun e'ffliction for lack of a better word....

I realize they made a few nice guns. Just remember John Browning put their name on the gun making map.

I don't think John Browning had much to do with putting Bohemian and German gunmakers on the map. He did have something to do with the Belgians, giving Henri Piper's baby, FN, something to fill their production lines.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

You caught me before I edited. I don't have a clue or a care where Bohemia is or was....

Sidelock
Sidelock

While the English and American gun makers were playing "tittlywinks"...start a thread and show us what they offered that stood the test of time.

James Purdey the double under bite...W.C. Scott the top lever...John Browning gun designs too numerous to list and a lot still in use today.

Start a thread and top those 3.

Here's the edited version...

Canvasback do you ever tire of your childish games.

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Getting back to Reilly, I've posted an advertisement above which seems to indicate that at least from the 1830's J.C. Reilly was boring his own barrels:

I ran across this delightful and interesting passage in an 1894 book called "Incidents of Foreign Sport and Travel," 1894, by Colonel Pollok. It mentions two points:
1. The integrity of an 1840's muzzle loader barrel by Reilly.
2. His opinion of Liege made barrels.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Page 25 of 97 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 96 97

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.