May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Chantry, Hammergun, Guy Ave, R Reynolds, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 836 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,496
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

While we're on the topic of doubling...I have a 10ga SxS, it weighs around 12lbs. I was doing some load development one day during goose season last fall, working up some 2 1/4oz turkey loads, and having been out that morning I had oiled up my gun when I got home. Turns out that there's a great path for oil to flow down around the trigger guard and onto the grip somewhere in the lock work. The grip got slicked up by the oil, and I didn't really notice until under the recoil of the first shot, the gun slid rearwards out of my grip having imparted enough momentum to my hand for my trigger finger to slip back and hit the rear trigger. That's the first time in my life that I've ever found my muzzles pointing up 45 degrees after a shot. It must have been fast enough to, my chrony survived.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's on this weeks "to-do" list. amigo mio. I test my ACL every other morning (after I read the obits in the newspaper, to make sure I am "one of the living," Mark Twain was reported to also do this.

Appreciate your deep concern for the health and well-being of this "Damn Yankee"---Foxy

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Also, as a right handed shooter, am I alone in finding the left barrel easier to control but harder on the shoulder? The guns I shoot regularly do have some cast off, I'll give the one I have with neutral cast a try at some point.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Oil, the new way to make an illegal bump stock. Ouch in the 10 bore version.

Had an uncle who reversed the choking in a .410 and reversed the triggers to fire the left barrel first from the front trigger. I asked him why. He explained he liked shooting the .410 at quail but was worried about cripples on covey rises. He called it collateral damage as he killed one bird, another nearby bird would get a few fringe pellets. So he wanted as tight a first barrel as could get. He then wanted an extra, extra tight second barrel for his second shot. When he had the barrel wall thickness measured they found the right barrel was much thicker than the left barrel. Both were choked full, about .020-.022. He had the left barrel back bored several thousand for two inches behind the choke and the entire bore polished to mirror smoothness. Gave .025 choke in the thinner, first to be shot, left barrel. On the right barrel they backbored it almost five inches to a total of .014-016”. They back bored it two Iniches and patterned it. Took a few more thousand off and checked again. The extended the back bore another inch at a time until the pattern stopped getting better. Opened it up more until either the pattern stopped getting better or they ran chicken. He said they could have stopped at 3- 1/2” or 4” in hindsight. That barrel is very, very thin but out there the pressures are fairly plow. He then had the triggers reversed and had extra bend in them to make them easier to use.

That gun smokes clay targets at ranges a 12 would be proud of. But it is feast or famine as to if you hit the bird or not. I will happily shoot Dove at 30 yards but won’t at 15. What it does to a low seven on a skeet field is impressive but the same hit on a real bird would be a stupid waste with the right barrel.

Last edited by KY Jon; 02/05/19 12:34 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: huntingsgr8
Also, as a right handed shooter, am I alone in finding the left barrel easier to control but harder on the shoulder? The guns I shoot regularly do have some cast off, I'll give the one I have with neutral cast a try at some point.

Im a righty, and do not find either barrel easier to control that the other. Most of my guns have a bit of cast off, some quite a bit. I find that makes not noticeable difference. I would expect that it would make it easier, not harder if it did have an effect.

I occasionally go for the back barrel first on long shots for pheasants. But those are one-shot affairs. Too far out for a second shot.

With ducks I used to try to remember to shoot the back bird first and then go for the close bird, which would make reversing the order useful. But I rarely remember to do that. I get entranced watching them come in and almost always end up focusing on the closest bird.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Until you apologize and contribute financially to this board Freddy the free loader no one cares what you think...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
That's on this weeks "to-do" list. amigo mio. I test my ACL every other morning (after I read the obits in the newspaper, to make sure I am "one of the living," Mark Twain was reported to also do this.

Appreciate your deep concern for the health and well-being of this "Damn Yankee"---Foxy

John Olin, Dizzy Dean, witches with 3 titties now Mark Twain and amigos

fOx have lost your ever loving mind ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Until you apologize and contribute financially to this board Freddy the free loader no one cares what you think...

That's fine with me Frank. I really do not care what you think. Apparently, Dave doesn't care what you think either.

Carry on.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Maybe, maybe not quite yet, Joseph- appreciate your concern!! RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have to say that this thread has been one of the most enlightening I have read in a while. I have been shooting for over 60 years, many with doubles and today is the most information I have ever seen about all the personal modifications people have done to doubles. I have probably let some pretty decent guns go because they "didn't shoot well." I may have been able to have made some personal changes that would have made me shoot the gun better. The only modification I have ever had done to a gun was to have the chokes opened on a double I have from Modified and Full to IC and Mod. Oh well. Live and learn.

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.